• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1994 M1081 No Fault Lites Will Only Go 10mph When Press D Once: What Am I Forking Up?

Crapgame

New to me 1994 M1081 LVAD (and I'm new to LMTV only drove M35s in 90s), no fault lites with warm up. I press "D" once but can only get it to go 10mph. I tried manually arrowing up the gears but No Joy. When I press "D" once I get the "7" in the left indicator box and "2" in the right. What am I forking up?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1081 is doing the same thing. Brakes are dragging badly on mine. Have not figured out why yet, likely has to do with the check valve behind the bumper. Check your drums for heat after driving to see if this is the issue. Your transmission is showing proper numbers.

coachgeo

As scott mentions. check tranny fluid. also check that the dip stick is sealing well. Have heard that if it is not... it can cause some shifting issues. Not sure that is true.... sounded odd to me..... but never hurts to check

snowtrac nome

Superman is right the first number is the number the driver has commanded, and the second number is the gear the tcm has commanded, given sensor imputs ,and yes 2nd is the gear these start in. I cant remember if limp home defaults to second or 3rd.

wandering neurons

If my experiences with my RV's Allison transmission are similar enough to yours, you might have a sensor-related problem. There's three sensors feeding input into the TCU. If any one of them go wonky, the TCU will "lock" the trans into the lowest normal gear so you can move, but that's all it'll do.
Like others have said, get the codes out of the keypad and go from there.

Crapgame

Trans fluid low, had to park her level. Can I use SAE 10 or 15W40 in place of OE/HDO until I can get my tools in, research the hydraulic fluid replacements and get new filters?

When I press both the arrows I get D1 21 12. I did a quick search but the outside link that had the trans code cheatsheet was code 404. Codes should be in the 34 level Maint Manual, right?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
21 12 is throttle position sensor. It’s mounted over the fuel primer filter with a cable going to the throttle. I would start with a visual inspection.

Crapgame

21 12 is throttle position sensor. It’s mounted over the fuel primer filter with a cable going to the throttle. I would start with a visual inspection.
Or ensure the hand throttle is pushed all the way down after warm up prior to rolling out? (which might be what I Fornicated Vertically)

Sent you email about the hydr mani, btw, thank you Sir William.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks