• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1995 M1078 Cranks But Won't Start

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SIMP5782 IS DEAD ON ! Do what he said and take a 6 ft piece of # 12 wire with aligator clip on each end and if it turns over good but doesnt want to fire hook wire from your 24 v post (back left corner)of battery box to your fuel soleinoid when the batteries arnt charged up good that so;enoid doesnt want to open and let the fuel thru to the injectors my truck was bad about it i would meter the sol and if it didnt show more than 22 volts it wouldnt open ..hope this helps

Phoenix77

SIMP5782 IS DEAD ON ! Do what he said and take a 6 ft piece of # 12 wire with aligator clip on each end and if it turns over good but doesnt want to fire hook wire from your 24 v post (back left corner)of battery box to your fuel soleinoid when the batteries arnt charged up good that so;enoid doesnt want to open and let the fuel thru to the injectors my truck was bad about it i would meter the sol and if it didnt show more than 22 volts it wouldnt open ..hope this helps
Excellent input; I will add that to my recovery kit.

Thank you!

Phoenix77

Last Monday my EUC got approved (something to be thankful for just before Thanksgiving). I'm headed out to Bragg this Friday, 12/4.

Bringing two (2) new batteries, inverter generator, two (2) battery chargers, the 12 ga wire with alligator clips per Simp, a pump to drain the fuel, and 10 gallons of fresh diesel.

Any other recommendations?

coachgeo

Last Monday my EUC got approved (something to be thankful for just before Thanksgiving). I'm headed out to Bragg this Friday, 12/4.

Bringing two (2) new batteries, inverter generator, two (2) battery chargers, the 12 ga wire with alligator clips per Simp, a pump to drain the fuel, and 10 gallons of fresh diesel.

Any other recommendations?
check drive shaft hinging....... basically to the eye there should be no movement in any direction at the sliding portion of the drive shaft; but the slide itself (which you cant test ). If there is get it off base at nothing more than 35mph? and to a big rig truck driveshaft shop. they can re-build the shaft as needed and balance it while at it.

Kbarnes0

Laptop with the TM's downloaded.
The trouble shooting section is great...

The most important part will be good batteries

Phoenix77

Swapped in two (2) new batteries, charged the other two (2) and she fired right up!

All indicators and alarms STFU after she ran a bit and charged the pneumatic system.

Headed home down two-lane highways with a buddy behind in my Tacoma. ~2.5 - 3 hr transit expected.

Reinstalled rear driveshaft. ZERO play in either driveshaft (aside from telescope in rear).

Pretty pleased right now.

Phoenix77

So....

1204201630_HDR.jpg

Got ~5mi away from GP site, about 1 mi down I-95 and the transmission just stopped transmitting power. Pulled over, no big deal, rest stop, all safe.

I shut the truck off, turned on, nursed it a hundred yards or so, same thing. Shut off, turned on, pushed "D", it went in Reverse. Pretty sure that's not supposed to happen 🤔.

Only a few miles from Fayetteville, had already researched heavy truck repair shops and who they co-opted towing. The shop was just a few miles away and they are well-versed in these trucks.

Honestly, I can't be upset because 1.) I didn't get halfway home on a country road at night in nowhere, an hour or more from a good heavy tow truck company, 2.) I was close to a good shop knowledgeable in these trucks, 3.) I can be sure I will get a comprehensive list of any/everything even vaguely wrong / suspect with the truck (accompanied with a generous offer to address them for a fee), and 4.) I haven't been billed yet for any of it... 😬

My buddy was with me in my Tacoma, and the tow truck got there in about 20 min. The driver was awesome; he was genuinely hurrying (even jogging from the rear of the truck to the front to get tie downs etc.) to try to get my truck to the shop by 5 PM. The company bills $275/hr, so it was nice to see he wasn't trying to milk it.

Definitely going to leave great review for them.

Truck's at the shop over the weekend, will call in Monday to give them info (i.e., CC info). They can't get to it till late next week, but whatevs.

Got home safely, ate dinner (breakfast & lunch too) with my buddy of 24 years. Day off work... Really can't complain.

Again though, I haven't been billed yet...

Last edited:

Ineedatruck

I just bought one. This is the first military vehicle I have owned. What was the issue with the truck? Mine is currently in Fayetteville. I am waiti be on the EUC.

Phoenix77

I just bought one. This is the first military vehicle I have owned. What was the issue with the truck? Mine is currently in Fayetteville. I am waiti be on the EUC.

Congrats!

I brought two (2) new batteries and you need to make sure the new ones are the ones closest to the frame of the truck. For example:

1 2
3 4

Batteries 1 & 2 should be the new ones. #2 should be your strongest battery.

When it fires up, it will make God awful beeping noises until the pneumatic system is charged up. Use the manual throttle handle on the right to throttle up and expedite that process.

The true gremlin of my truck was the transmission, which is currently being worked on in Fayetteville at Cain's. They just got it in the shop on 12/21, so $$$ is TBD.

Ineedatruck

glad you posted the link but.... IMHO you should start your own thread on your own truck .... This situation is opposite side of the coin of the intent of video presentation below..because your questions are assuredly a good reason to start a new thread; ... still suggest though, this invaluable video on Netiquette.

Sorry. I didn’t think it was appropriate to start a thread just to show the user the truck. I was replying and wasn’t asking a question about my truck. The person who started the thread asked for a link to my truck. I removed what I could.

coachgeo

Sorry. I didn’t think it was appropriate to start a thread just to show the user the truck. I was replying and wasn’t asking a question about my truck. The person who started the thread asked for a link to my truck. I removed what I could.
LOL- we both misinterpreted post intentions...... yours mine and mine yours. Totally misunderstood your intentions. Thought you were posting it up to start discussions on your truck My bad...

And you miss interpreted my intentions. Did not recommend you remove anything. There was no need to do so based on your point above.

I'll edit my post you originally quoting you to keep the link published... If you want- edit your post and put link back..... then we can both edit out our post; to clean things up. Wish we could delete post in here... makes life much easier to keep a thread clean, to self moderate, or for what ever good reason

Peace to you.

Last edited:

Phoenix77

***Update***

Seriously bad day today. First, the shop is charging ~$1,700 for 15 hrs of "diagnostic time", which culminated in saying an Allison rep was needed.

The Allison shop, upon reviewing the codes, determined it would need a new transmission.

Cain's quoted me $11,300 for a new transmission, installed. That breaks down to $9,200 for a new transmission and $2,100 in labor 😳🤯🤢🤮

I know I can get a new transmission for less, and I'm calling truck shops east of Fayetteville to see if I can do better than $2,100 in labor.

After auction fees & taxes, I'm in this truck $7,500 plus the $1,700 I already owe for "diagnostic time" and a $500 tow...

At $9,700, is it worth another $7-$8k to get it on the road with a new transmission?

Ineedatruck

I saw another thread the other day and the guy had the same issue. He put it in drive and it went into reverse etc. He was able to get by with swapping the transmission oil with oil recommended by Allison. I have no experience in these, but did want to share what I saw.

Phoenix77

I saw another thread the other day and the guy had the same issue. He put it in drive and it went into reverse etc. He was able to get by with swapping the transmission oil with oil recommended by Allison. I have no experience in these, but did want to share what I saw.
🤔 Thanks for the info.

I don't know if the Allison rep would say "get a new Allison transmission" over "change transmission fluid"... Lord knows it wouldn't be the first (or last) sheisty thing a dealer / rep / repair shop would say.

coachgeo

***Update***
The Allison shop, upon reviewing the codes, determined it would need a new transmission.

At $9,700, is it worth another $7-$8k to get it on the road with a new transmission?
NO / YES... LOL

matters your plans. I was in the exact same boat... and did more of a charge full ahead cause Im stubborn. Not really wise choice. but... I got my tranny rebuilt. so its nearly new....... and will swap it and a modified driveline into another truck I got...... so round about ways I will end up with what I want..... for about same price as if I had bought it already built for me...... BUTT....... if I had sold it as a broken truck and then bought what I really wanted..... it would be sitting at my house and I would already be using it........

How good is the rest of the truck is part of the equation.

used transmissions that are good are out there..... contact Suprman and few others that scrap trucks. Price has come way down on the cost of used ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks