• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1995 M1078 Cranks But Won't Start

Phoenix77

I hear you @coachgeo , I did some serious soul-searching when the numbers hit me this morning.

The rest of the truck is in pretty great shape, aside from the cab not raising, as far as I can tell.

Haven't had a chance to get to know every inch yet, since I drove is just far enough to require a tow...

Engine sounds good, brakes work etc., driveshafts are good.

I think if I do a swap and pay labor and end up ~$16 - $17k, there's still meat on the bone if I want to sell it.

Plan is to completely do up the inside (dynamat, new seats etc.) and use it primarily around the property as a work truck, but make it nice enough to get my wife & daughter willing to ride in it to tow our camper to the mountains.

Phoenix77

M1078 and M1081 home at last!

HUGE thanks to simp for the new-to-me transmission and all his knowledge in isolating the T-case as the issue post-swap.

Another HUGE thanks to wheelspinner for driving to Fayetteville yesterday to diagnose the remaining issue with the truck (isolated T-case as issue).

Need to tear down rear brakes on M1081 to get them freed up and install a driver's door. Mercifully it wasn't raining today for a change. Wife isn't happy about the slit trench the rear wheel left in the yard, but whatevs. Are the wives EVER happy when we get cool toys?

0209211057_HDR.jpg0208211602.jpg

Phoenix77

Outstanding !

I'm facing a trans swap on one of my trucks and I'm not exactly looking forward to the job.
Just to give you an idea of costs (prepare for pucker factor), places charge ~$140/hr for labor, and Fayetteville charged me 15 hrs though it took "28 hrs".

If it makes a God awful grinding noise at the top end of 6th and all of 7th gear, that's a transfer case issue, not tranny, FYI.

Phoenix77

It was bad enough standing there with my two (2) pseudo-functional LMTVs when wheelspinner showed me a pic of his with a crane, but now you just have to pile it on, eh? 😂

Phoenix77

***UPDATE***

The transfer case swap is complete, and the M1078 is running!

Thanks again to @wheelspinner and @simp5782 for their help.

Huge thanks to @Suprman who offered his expertise on the issue and navigated me through the final straits. I cannot overstate how amazing it is that people who have no financial stake in my endeavor like Suprman and Wheelspinner took time to provide counsel and expertise to help transition a 17k lbs+ yard art paperweight into a working truck.

Truly amazing.

I am now transitioning from troubleshooting to enhancements.

Third From Texas

***UPDATE***

The transfer case swap is complete, and the M1078 is running!

Thanks again to @wheelspinner and @simp5782 for their help.

Huge thanks to @Suprman who offered his expertise on the issue and navigated me through the final straits. I cannot overstate how amazing it is that people who have no financial stake in my endeavor like Suprman and Wheelspinner took time to provide counsel and expertise to help transition a 17k lbs+ yard art paperweight into a working truck.

Truly amazing.

I am now transitioning from troubleshooting to enhancements.
So true.

I'm going to be doing a swap here in the coming months. I've pulled car transmissions before even 4x4, but never anything of this scale. I do have a small crane that I can swing above the trans and I've ID'ed all the lines and bolts for disconnect to do the drop. But I ain't in my 20's anymore and some of the places that need to be reached look pretty tight.

My big question is how high do you have to lift the truck to roll the trans out from under it. I don't have access to a shop any longer so stuff like this isn't as easy as it used to be for me...

Phoenix77

So true.

I'm going to be doing a swap here in the coming months. I've pulled car transmissions before even 4x4, but never anything of this scale. I do have a small crane that I can swing above the trans and I've ID'ed all the lines and bolts for disconnect to do the drop. But I ain't in my 20's anymore and some of the places that need to be reached look pretty tight.

My big question is how high do you have to lift the truck to roll the trans out from under it. I don't have access to a shop any longer so stuff like this isn't as easy as it used to be for me...
If you separate the transfer case from the transmission (make sure to undo 6 o'clock bolt on rear housing), and remove the long stretch of exhaust, including the muffler (clamps at joints: 1/2" ratchet works), then there should be enough clearance to get the transmission out from underneath with the truck resting on the ground.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks