• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1997 Fermont 803a

Buster1528

20220402_132242.jpgDoes anyone know what these two wires are identified as? they are attached to the back of that aluminum terminal block. One was fully connected the bottom wire was broken barely making a good contact? I want to test the stator those wires are hooked to. But I can't identify what wires are which. Not sure which wire gets positive and what wire gets negative from the meter. TM says connect meter to F1+ and F2- stator leads but the leads are not marked.

Buster1528

Did you test that big fat fuse that is next to the A1?
Not yet been raining like crazy here. Been trying to read up on all these testing procedures. But definitely will. Borrowed my buddies ohms meter. I think someone swapped the vR out especially after seeing it was missing that surge protector. I'm getting anxious because I want to figure this out. Thank you for your assistance.

Buster1528

Started testing voltage regulator tested between 104c and 105 voltage comes out to 7.60 spec in book says it should be 8. I have the generator set in 3phase 60 hrtz and the the out lug is saying 26.2 volts

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
7.6 volts there is exactly correct. TM says "approximately 8 VDC". 7.6 VDC is what I measure on my good working set.

Measuring 7.6 indicates the "flashing" circuit is working and you have continuity from there to the exciter and the exciter is receiving the voltage.

What voltages and resistances do you get with the other VR tests?

Last edited:

Buster1528

7.6 volts there is exactly current. TM says "approximately 8 VDC". 7.6 VDC is what I measure on my good working set.

Measuring 7.6 indicates the "flashing" circuit is working and you have continuity from there to the exciter and the exciter is receiving the voltage.

What voltages and resistances do you get with the other VR tests?
Between T3 and T4 126.7
T7 and T8 000
Voltage adjustment test Nothing

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between T3 and T4 126.7
That's good. It indicates the exciter is working, flashing the gen head and the gen head stator is putting out AC voltage.

T7 and T8 000
That's not good.
When you did the test did you disconnect wire 156A from the VR and then measure the RESISTANCE between wire 156A and terminal 2 of the VR while rotating the AC Voltage adjust knob?

Buster1528

Between T3 and T4 126.7
T7 and T8 000
T3
That's good. It indicates the exciter is working, flashing the gen head and the gen head stator is putting out AC voltage.

That's not good.
When you did the test did you disconnect wire 156A from the VR and then measure the RESISTANCE between wire 156A and terminal 2 of the VR while rotating the AC Voltage adjust knob?
Yes

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, that would indicate a problem with either the wiring from VR terminals 1 & 2 to the voltage adjust potentiometer on the front panel or a problem with the voltage adjust potentiometer itself on the front panel.

Just to re-verity. You measured 126.7 volts AC between VR terminals 3 & 4 with S1 in START. Correct?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And 0 ohms resistance all the time when you disconnected wire 156A from the VR and then measure the RESISTANCE between wire 156A and terminal 2 of the VR while rotating the AC Voltage adjust knob?

Buster1528

OK, that would indicate a problem with either the wiring from VR terminals 1 & 2 to the voltage adjust potentiometer on the front panel or a problem with the voltage adjust potentiometer itself on the front panel.

Just to re-verity. You measured 126.7 volts AC between VR terminals 3 & 4 with S1 in START. Correct?
Yes

Buster1528

That's not good.
My mistake it is giving a reading when I rotate the adjustment knob

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should have varied from around 0 to around 5,000 ohms. Was it generally in that range when rotating it from stop to stop?
The meter may have read something like 4.98 K instead of 4,980 ohms for instance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks