• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1997 MP Suburban

micheljns

Stonepicker1 when did you see it on EBay? I bought it from a member on here, it was at Southeastern military academy and they sent me all there service records some date back to 2004. The colonel there told me that it came from West Point?

Stonepicker1

Stonepicker1 when did you see it on EBay? I bought it from a member on here, it was at Southeastern military academy and they sent me all there service records some date back to 2004. The colonel there told me that it came from West Point?
I thought it was on ebay not to long ago, but it could of been in the classified ads here if you got it from a member.

I have a 1997 suburban just like yours - the camo. it was a county truck and has service records also....just saying.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may have been purchased by Westpoint as a Civvy unit and converted. The RPO report doesn't show that it was ordered by the government.

You can buy the AutoCheck report and see where it has been. You can get a report from fleabay and save $20.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is a great truck. I would like to have it. And the price was right.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military Suburbans

The last Boy Scout National Jamboree was at Fort AP Hill in 2010. I remember the base commander and his top brass with some vips arriving at a function that I was at in Suburbans that appeared to be civilian except for the huge white domes sticking out of the roofs and extra antennas all aimed at Area 51. :shock: Saw them several times through the 2 weeks as those satellite antennas made them hard to blend in. The base commander made daily visits of the entire jamboree site. These were definitely army vehicles belonging to the base top echelon.

I do not remember them being painted camo or green but maybe blue and black?
I suspect the military does buy civilian models off the shelf and adapts them for VIP, special purpose etc in low numbers as need.

Yours is still a cool rig and I know many of us wish we had the $ at the time it came for sale. :beer:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last Boy Scout National Jamboree was at Fort AP Hill in 2010. I remember the base commander and his top brass with some vips arriving at a function that I was at in Suburbans that appeared to be civilian except for the huge white domes sticking out of the roofs and extra antennas all aimed at Area 51. :shock: Saw them several times through the 2 weeks as those satellite antennas made them hard to blend in. The base commander made daily visits of the entire jamboree site. These were definitely army vehicles belonging to the base top echelon.

I do not remember them being painted camo or green but maybe blue and black?
I suspect the military does buy civilian models off the shelf and adapts them for VIP, special purpose etc in low numbers as need.

Yours is still a cool rig and I know many of us wish we had the $ at the time it came for sale. :beer:
TMPs or GSA vehicles are usually factory colors.

Policy on Fort Bragg is you had to be a Full Bird Colonel Promotable or higher to rate an SUV from the motorpool. otherwise you got plenty of cars or minivans. This appeared to be a Ft. Bragg Policy as some guys from 10th MTN gave some odd noises over the phone when told they didn't rate an SUV... None of these vehicles were in anything beyond factory paint. In fact, some of the Ford Eco cars were in some really odd off colors...

That being said, that Suburban is pretty cool. even if it's not an actual .gov truck, it looks great. I'd love to own something like that (Diesel though).

micheljns

Thanks for all the comments and help everyone. I crawled under it today and noticed that the rearend and suspension is 3/4 ton even though its titled as a 1/2 ton? just 1 more weird thing about it. Also it has 2 batteries but is only 12 volt.
Gave it a tune up today,plus all new shocks.

K9Vic

Thanks for all the comments and help everyone. I crawled under it today and noticed that the rearend and suspension is 3/4 ton even though its titled as a 1/2 ton? just 1 more weird thing about it. Also it has 2 batteries but is only 12 volt.
Gave it a tune up today,plus all new shocks.

If your Suburban 1500 has 6-lug wheels as to what it looks like in the pictures, it is not a 3/4 ton as both the 2WD & 4WD 2500 Suburbans all had 8-lug wheels. If it was a 94-99 Suburban 6.5L diesel regardless of being a 1500 or 2500, it would have 8-lug wheels on the 2500 frame. You may have a 2500 pickups 3/4 axle in the rear, but in the world of the Suburban it is a 1/2 ton with 6-lug wheels. I would not treat that as a 2500 Suburban as it does not have the correct 8-lug wheels.

This is just what I know over the years, but all the 2500 Suburbans I have seen either gas or diesel have 8-lug wheels.

quickfarms

I had a blazer that was a heavy duty 1/2 ton. 6 lug with 3/4 ton axles under if from the factory. The GMC dealer verified it was ordered that way from the factory. This was typical if trucks that were set up for plowing or towing

combatmech

The brush guard looks like a mod'd 1st gen Cucv. The CUCV3's, (four door Tahoe's) are a little different and bolted to the top of the bumper like the Suburban in question.

ryan77

I had a 1500 suburban with the 6.5 diesel and it had 8 lug wheels due to the diesel! I have never seen a 3/4 ton 6 lug axle!!

richingalveston

I always thought the 3/4 ton axles on suburbans were 12bolts, one tons were 14bolts and 1/2 tons were 10 bolts.
They did make 8 and 6 lug 12 bolts. I almost bought 8 lug 12 bolts for my 1009 until I realized they were not the one ton axles. I had the salvage yard remove them and thats when I realized they were not the correct axle. Under the truck with the truck sitting on the ground (no tires) it was hard to tell the difference.
I am not aware of any 14 bolt 6 lugs. 6 lugs on a one ton would kinda defeat the purpose of having 1 ton tubes and gears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks