• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1999 M1097A2 Loses Power 6.5l

Brannonjcarter

Putchases a reconditioned 99A2 with 8k Miles and after 35min its struggles to go up any sort of grade and eventually dies. After a few seconds it will crank up and run just fine until the next hill. The fan kicks on as expected but it feels like it runs hot avg 225 ish.....

I would be most grateful if anyone had any suggestions. I was with the 2/325AIR and spent enough time wishing I wasn't in one and now I can't get this one dialed in to relive those glorious memories!

Thank you!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does the exhaust look when this is happening? No smoke would be lack of fuel, black smoke may be excessive fuel or plugged air intake.

As for the 225, use a laser thermometer to verify, but as long as the fan is kicking on and off then everything is normal. You don't really need to start worrying til over 230-240ish. I say use a laser thermometer to verify, because the stock gauges are notoriously flaky, and you mostly just pay attention when they start doing something different than they used to, not what they actually read.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your fuel lift pump is suspect.

Fill the tank to full and if the problem improves, that might be it.

The injection pump can provide some suction but uphill it will fail when the fuel pump is bad. A full tank provided pressure to push fuel to the injection pump. A half tank won’t.

Also make sure Diesel didn’t get into your oil via the bad fuel lift pump. If your oil level is too high, diesel bypassed a ruptured lift pump diaphragm and got into the oil.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First nobody knows how many miles any vehicle has because the speedos get changed all the time, could be 8K but might not.
You say reconditioned, by whom?
As TOBASH says it could be a lift pump, it could be a plugged fuel tank vent (try loosening the fill cap) it could be a plugged fuel tank screen or a plugged fuel filter.
It could also be a leak in the fuel pickup line or bad fuel line check valves.
As far as the fuel system goes the very first thing you should do is replace the fuel filter and remove the check valves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks