• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st and Reverse Grinding

SierraHotel

So, oh Deuce Wizards...why is my Deuce all of a sudden grinding when I attempt to put it in First and Reverse. I figured that instead of me continuing to beat myself with the TM's, I'd check with those that know. If you say I need a new transmission...wait for the gunshot.

SierraHotel

Don't seem to have any problems with any of the other gears, just 1st and reverse.
I'm not afraid of doing the clutch, but moving that beast of a transmission will not be fun.
If I do, I assume you all would like pictures of the process...

JDToumanian

Since 1st and reverse are not synchroed, it's good practice to bump another gear before shifting into those two to make sure the gears aren't turning at all. In other words, put the clutch in, shift into 2nd, or 3rd, etc. then shift into 1st or reverse. If you let the synchroed gears stop the movement you will not grind at all... unless you have clutch trouble as stated.

If I tried to simply put the clutch in and shift directly into 1st or reverse, my transmission would grind every time without fail. (Unless I waited a good 15 seconds or so)

Jon

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, took me a while to learn how to drive the non- synchroed tranny in my old bus. But now the gears are nice and smooth! :wink:

You push that clutch in and the tranny would spin for a good minute before you could put her in 1st without grinding. Just got into the habit of putting her in 2nd, then kicking her up in 1st.

But if it is hard to put into gear with the grinding, your clutch is not happy anymore, and probably would like to be retired. If you can get it into gear easy but with grinding, it is probably just a coasting tranny.

amanco

I once helped a fellow change the clutch in a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I had serious doubts weather the transmission was trashed or not. Shifting was very hard, gears grinding etc.. New clutch, everything was fine. Never been so greasy in all my life.

apbloom

I realize that my answer will start a s**t storm, and it might be seen to be hijacking the thread, but here goes:

I was taught by professional truck drivers at an early age that you never start in any gear that requires pushing against a spring. Gears set up that way are to be used only for manouvering, such as reverse and Low-low. It is very difficult to maintain your forward momentum and to shift into the next gear when the shifter needs to be brought out of its spring-loaded position.

The first gear on the Spicer 3053A has a first gear that is very low that requires the driver to push against a spring to engage it Therefore, I never start my trucks in 1st, always in 2nd. (Unless I am stopped on a very steep hill, or heavily loaded.)

The reverse gear, you will admit, is very low. It is, in fact 5.90 to 1 ratio. The first gear is almost the same, at 6.00 to 1 ratio.

I have donned my flame suit and I am standing by for the first volley.

Arthur P. Bloom, Pres.
www.m35products.com

mangus580

I dunno what you are afraid of... I agree :)

I find, that by the time you can get out of first and into second, you have already lost enough speed, that it doesnt matter!

JDToumanian

I was taught by professional truck drivers at an early age that you never start in any gear that requires pushing against a spring.
I would twist that statement to mean bumping one of the "unsprung" gears first, to ensure nothing in the transmission is moving, then shift into 1st or reverse. The only time I start out in second is when the truck will roll on it's own when I let off the brake (aka - heading downhill).

I was taught that the appropriate gear to start out in is one in which the clutch can simply be let out quickly... without stalling the engine, slipping the clutch, barking the tires, etc. Try that in second and I think you'll end up chattering the clutch or pressing the start button.

I agree, 1st is awful low... but IMHO 2nd is too high to start out in unless you like doing clutch jobs.

Regards,
Jon

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OM says = "always start in first" = clinto = always starts in first (other than in adownhill situation, etc.)

m35a2cowner

Any problem with...

Any problem with starting out in 2nd low range and then going to high and then into the proper gears in the high range. My 35 starts off well doing this and picks up speed quickly. Any problems with this method? I unfortunately live in the city and this method works well for keeping up with traffic. A head turner too when changing ranges in reverse.

houdel

Re: Any problem with...

m35a2cowner said:
Any problem with starting out in 2nd low range and then going to high and then into the proper gears in the high range. My 35 starts off well doing this and picks up speed quickly. Any problems with this method? I unfortunately live in the city and this method works well for keeping up with traffic. A head turner too when changing ranges in reverse.
I'm with JT and Clinto on this one. I have to slip my clutch too much for comfort to start my Deuce out in second. But I've also done what m35a2cowner suggests and it works out real well for city driving. Shift pattern then is 2L-3L-4L-5L-4H-5H. You just upgraded to a fully synchronized six speed, and didn't turn a wrench! Works fine for me (thanks to Cranetruck for the hint on this one).

jwaller

Re: Any problem with...

houdel said:
m35a2cowner said:
I'm with JT and Clinto on this one. I have to slip my clutch too much for comfort to start my Deuce out in second. But I've also done what m35a2cowner suggests and it works out real well for city driving. Shift pattern then is 2L-3L-4L-5L-4H-5H. You just upgraded to a fully synchronized six speed, and didn't turn a wrench! Works fine for me (thanks to Cranetruck for the hint on this one).
I do this exact same shift pattern. all the way thru low in the xcase and back to 4th high and 5th high. I never start in second high it's too high and I dont want to change my clutch. I do however use second to stop the trans parts from spinning if I need to use 1st or R.

I understand that neither of these gears are syncro'd so it's nearly impossible to go into them while moving.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Any problem with...

Funny thread. I can take off pretty quick using 2nd in the tractor presumably from it's light weight. Forget taking off in 2nd in the M108. The -10 TM does tell you to start in 1st abd this is especially true in sprag trucks.

Ok, sorry to necro an old thread, but I'd like to see if the wisdom applied in this thread applies to my situation:

Driving in traffic, I generally downshift to 3rd or 2nd when coming to a stop at a light. If the light is a long one, I might shift into neutral and release the clutch to save the wear and tear on my leg.

Should I expect grinding to occur if I then clutch and shift to 1st? Or would grinding indicate a problem.