• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st CUCV, 1985 M1009 New to site and testing

rlltide12

You are right. A simple addition of a wire and ring terminal piggybacked on the original wire at the solenoid is the best way to add without splicing. You could also just t-tap into the blue wire before it goes into the harness to prevent having to run a new wire through the firewall. All you have to do is provide a ground somehow to that blue wire under the dash.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

As Rolltide states either will work. For ease of install I just tapped the wire right before it enters the card box at the harness and then ran the ground, from the switch, to the ground stud, under the dash, above the foot brake. There should be a 6 prong ground stud under there. I used a slice/crimp connector at the splice location and then used liquid tape for insurance. I wanted to have it easily assessable from inside without having to raise the hood and go thru the firewall. Its your truck, so do the install method that best suits your needs.
Edit-Yes, leave the wire to the card location and harness in tact no need to do anything with either option you choose.

Last edited:

HAMMERSCUCV

Bypassed the resistors, added a Momentary On to ground the relay and Bam she fires right up after about a 10 sec push! Good feeling knowing the GPs work - which I didn't know since the gp control module is missing.
Now this M1009 has a push button to throw juice to the starter. Does that mean the doghead mod is not needed?

rlltide12

Absolutely do the starter relay fix. Post pics so that we can see the current relay and make sure it hasnt already been done.

BostonPatriot28

I have some bad news yesterday my truck broke down. I haven't made any mods to it yet other then replacing the air filter ( new) changing the oil using rotella every 3k well I was sitting in traffic and my Starter just engaged out of nowhere and wouldnt stop. Its really bizarre I dont know what happend. Maybe a relay or Solenoid **** the bed I don't know. Any ideas? 1. starter engaged would not stop until battery died 2. smoked a lot :sad: 3. my first diesel

ammuscle

It's your starter relay. If yo didn't burn up your starter look into doing the very cheap and far better doghead mod. You can search for it but it's under the sticky for cucv.

BostonPatriot28

Ok so I did the dog head mod using the 4 post dual solenoid..... however im not getting any power at the key. No dummy lights nothing. Am i miising it bc of a burnt fusible link? Bad ground is possible ... Your thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks