• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st Deuce Project Begins

StoneMill

This is the biggest vehicle I've ever worked on and basically the first vehicle I've took apart and reassembled to this extent. I've had no real automotive education, just watching and learning from friends that know what they're doing. I think I know more about this deuce than I've known about any other car I've ever driven. I'm pretty happy with the outcome so far.

StoneMill

Rolled the herculner on inside the cab. Came out about like I expected. Not too sure I'll use it in my wrangler, but it's pretty good for the deuce. Headed out to see what I can get done today.

One thing that I will say about the herculiner is make sure you at least double coat the drivers side floor. I did it on the inside of my 77 CJ7 when I redid it and after a year or so a spot where I kept my feet and rotated it to the brake or gas pedal wore a "hole" in the down to the bare metal of the floor. Also be careful about getting mud in the truck. Because the liner is textured when mud gets in the low spots it is a pain to get out. Just my .02 but it is your truck so take it with a grain of salt. Not trying to tell you what to do it is your truck.

Just a side note. Your truck so absolutely awesome looking. I see that you are only in E-town so if you ever need any help I will be more than happy to give you a hand. I am always willing to help out a fellow "soldier" and mess around with a little green stuff.

StoneMill

Got a few more things done today. Seems to be going quicker today. Painted a bunch of parts. Waiting for a lot of dash pieces to dry. Installed the fuel tank, starter, dash, hooked up wiring... Ready to mock up battery box under passenger seat on Monday. Sorry, still only pictures from my iphone.

Attachments

StoneMill

Thanks... Can't wait to have it on the road. Just getting it started and moving will be awesome. Going to take to the York, Pa Jeep show in July. Don't expect to win anything, especially in the military class, but it'll be cool just to see what people think of it.

StoneMill

Got a lot of stuff done this week, but still a lot to do.
Motor is about done. Need to finish up the exhaust but haven't found the right black paint yet. Closed the hole around the steering shaft with gasket stock and seam sealer. Extended the drip tube (?) to the divers side behind the axle upon the suggestion of my friend. Window frame is ready to install and new mirror mounts have been added to to it. Drivers side step and storage been is ready to install. Fenders should go on tomorrow and maybe fire it up Monday if the gauges are done. I'll get some more pics posted soon.

StoneMill

My friend got the battery box welded up and ready to paint. I haven't tried my hand at welding just yet just explained to him what I wanted. We were both pretty happy with the outcome. The top hinges at the front and folds forward to access the batteries. The top of the box is bent at the back to let the seat bottom fold without problem. I need to finish painting it tomorrow. Gotta cut some holes and get grommets for the cables. Bought a new positive cable (that stuff is expensive even with a discount) and need to run it yet. Should get some more stuff done tomorrow, today was my fiances birthday.

StoneMill

Got a lot of stuff done today. Cleaned the radiator but ended up with a leak. Going to have to pull it back out and take a closer look.
Got it running Saturday, so fixed some more quick wiring issues and left it run today so we could check for leaks at the rear main. All looked good after pulling the flywheel so we installed the transmission. Started the tunnel. Mounted the battery box temporarily so I can vent it and make a tie down. I'm pretty happy with it. Can't wait to be done and driving it though.

Enjoy the pictures...

Attachments

StoneMill

more to come...

Attachments

StoneMill

I replaced most of the bolts. A few I cleaned up and reused if they were in good shape. The herculiner was rolled on. I'm planning to spray it when I do the bed.