• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st M35A2 coming home in a week

FloridaAKM

Driving it home was my plan & it worked due to a truck with no problems & it being checked out before the trip. If you do the drive trip home, have a chase vehicle & let the guys here know what your route & time frame is; they can help you with most any problems & rescue you if Murphy catches up with you! Good luck!

AvrgJoe

only a week late....

Ok, once again, I am scheduled to leave to go pick up my 1st deuce.5 tomorrow morning. I have waited until "T minus 12 hours" to say anything in case it got canceled again, unlikely but not impossible still. Plan on leaving out around 6:30 am for our 5 hour drive north.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers for a safe and uneventful trip.

I plan on taking several pictures and updating this as the trip unfolds.

Woodsplinter

Wow- nice looking deuce! Not sure what that color is, though. I thought one of the old timers would have mentioned this before, but be sure to download all the TM's (technical manuals) pertaining to the M35A2 from here or the Jatonka website.
If you have already, most everything you could want to know about the deuce is in there- finding it is another matter. :)

When you're working on it, just take your time and do things correctly and stay safe. Enjoy! Ask questions if you're not sure about something.

AvrgJoe

After 16 hours worth of trip we made it home last night kind of late. Fortunately the entire t r in was very uneventful. The truck made it home without any problems. Now it's time to start going through all the systems and change all the filters and fluids so I know exactly what I have.

First things first though.... I left it at a friends house last night because I didn't know how to turn on the lights. I will make that my first order, figure out that light switch.... ****, don't I sound ignorant.

TMNT

Glad you made home safe. If you haven't figured out the 3-way switch, then you drove all that way with no brake lights or turn signals. Top center lever one click to the right for brake lights and turn signals; two clicks to the right for head and tail lights.

The lever on the lower right side is a lock. Push it up slightly to use the top center lever.

The lower left lever is the instrument lights. One click up for low, two clicks up for high. Push that same lever down for blackout operation.

**Edit- I just figured out the you towed it home. Never mind my comment about driving with no brake lights.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

That light switch is one of the first hurdles you face that will make you go duuhh! There are plenty more awaiting you as you wind your way thru this old girl. Shes a good looking truck to start with. Somebody did a nice paint job before you got her, just keep plugging away to you get her like you want her to be.

AvrgJoe

If you haven't figured out the 3-way switch, then you drove all that way with no brake lights or turn signals.

I appreciate the explainatin, I had the truck on a trailer for the trip so I wasn't worried about figuring it out untill now.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

TMNT

No worries. I backed up and saw you had it on a trailer. Remember that you have to turn on your brake lights though. It's easy to forget and drive drive around with no brake lights. It takes a while to get in the habit of going the pre-trip and post-trip routines.

Oh, and don't just leave the 3-way switch in the brake light position. Depending on the type of pressure switch you have, there is a risk of the pressure switch leaking brake fluid, shorting out and catching fire. It has happened before.

Last edited:

AvrgJoe

I was just going thru the paper work, Initially the truck was advertised as a "1973 M35A2", I don't really think it makes much difference but I just discovered that it is really a "1968 Kaiser, M35A2". For those way more, well versed than myself.... good? .... Bad? .... Same difference?

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your attendance at the Gerogia Rally is . . . . . mandatory. . . that way we can properly drool over your new toy, discuss the various lies about womem jumping deuces overhills and the fact that they cannot be stuck (really?)
Truck looks good, bring her to the rally and see just how much fun they can really be.

Rmtaunton

Yep and I have heard a rumor about squirt-truck jumping over the general lee with 10 girls in the back landing in a 6 foot lake and driving out all without loosing his hat

Whiterabbit

That's a sharp looking "68 Deuce! That looks like the old "tan" from the Gulf War instead of the new "sand" color paint.
My suggestion is to download the -10 operators manual and go through it page by page next to your truck. There is a PMCS checks section that will ID critical before, during and after use inspection items to make sure the truck is road worthy. LIVE BY IT! 26yrs in the military and I still live by those checks in that section. The -20 and -34 and Parts manuals are a must have but they are geared towards the mechanic and motor pool repairs so get familiar with the operators manual first. It's alot to digest but hey, if brand new 18yo soldiers straight from mom's teet can do it so can you. ;-)
Now my wife trying to figure that light switch out is a different subject! :confused:
Good score on the truck and hope to meet at the rally! (YOU WILL BE THERE!)

AvrgJoe

I would love to be at the rally but unfortunately way before the truck was in the picture I had a Florida Vacation Scheduled for that week. I will plan on next year or maybe another one if there is another one close.

On a happier note, I brought it home from my buddies house that made the trip with me this morning. I just added onto my garage w/o the Deuce in mind, happily it did fit inside the new part of the garage.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is a clean, good looking truck.

AvrgJoe

That's a sharp looking "68 Deuce! That looks like the old "tan" from the Gulf War instead of the new "sand" color paint.
I think you are correct about the color, the info I have on the truck so far is that it was referbed @ Toole in 1990 and then gone thru again by a company in CA in 2008 from where the owner I bought it from got it. Since late 2008 it was shipped to the St. Louis, MO area we here it has had 4 miles and about 2 hours put on it, and been kept inside a heated and coolEd warehouse. Now it resides in my garage.

I am trying to find out more info like the name of the CA company it was bought from in late 2008. If that company didn't paint it it would in fact be the "Gulf War Tan".

Last edited:

Rmtaunton

You don't need time off , what will really make you love that truck is seat time :) leave Friday after work , there are people driving there's from so much farther , given there is a risk , but that's when you rub her dash say good girl "what you named her" and every 50 miles rube her again and ask for another 50 , my first recovery was almost 500 miles and a moment I will never forget ! Is it a smart idea probably not . But the greatest things in life are always the best and 90 % of the time any logical person would say don't do it , lol

Either way hope to see you there I have met a great great abundance of people here some I have never met that helped me and the ones I have , well my home is welcome to them .