• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st MV purchase. Need advice for which truck fits my needs 5 ton or deuce

Ddmk18

No I don't need the extra axle and a heavy 4x4 would be fine but maybe it's just the cool factor of the 6x6 I like. I have just been drawn to the tractors with a shortened bed but still keeping the spare tire and hoist and just doing a short bed behind that. And yes it will be an A2 series truck when I get one.

tobyS

I know what you mean about "cool factor", but believe me, it wears off, while the practical aspects, like better fuel economy, comfort of ride and tighter turns (especially at a boat ramp) never do. And besides, try it for a while with the third axle and decide yourself. These 5 tons are going cheap, so if you make a change, it's not like a mega $$$$ mistake. With the springs of a cargo, your already way too heavy duty and it comes with a bed. It's just my personal opinion, but I'd buy a cargo unless I had a use for the fifth wheel since shortening is always a possibility, but lengthening a tractor is major and bobbing just gets you back to essentially the same as a cargo. There really is not much difference but tractors seem to sell for a bit more money. I'd be looking at Lansing.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question is, what does your state say about needing a CDL for the air brakes?

tobyS

I checked in Indiana on that specific issue. They said that a CDL is for "commercial" haulers and does not apply to private use. Thus no CDL is required, even if over 26K and air brakes... if you are using it only for your own use, NOT commercial. Check your state however, even though I think they are mostly the same since they are usually patterned after federal DOT rules.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 5 ton is the last thing you want to tow a boat. If you thought feeding the 350 was tough- try a 5 ton. The best you will get will be 7 mpg, whether you are towing the boat, or running bobtail.
The other issue is turning radius. I don't know about PA, but down here in SC, there are very very very few boat ramps that you could get a 5 ton and boat into. The truck is just too big to manuvoer a trailer with out a lot of real estate.

Ddmk18

My dodge actually got 16 in town and 21 hwy. I am not reall concerned with fuel mileage as it will not be getting used on a daily basis. Around 2-3k miles a year at most. But our boat launches aren't to bad usually we launch 3 wide all the time so it will just upset the impatient people when I make it a single boat launch. I will still have my fiancées chevy silverado to use if need be but it's only a short bed singe cab with a 4.8 so if I don't have to I won't use it especially for towing the mountain. Thank you everyone for all your input it does give me a lot to think about and consider for my upcoming purchase. I have always wanted one and now have the funds and additional vehicle to keep it as a hobby or toy just to have.

ichudov

The mileage per gallon is typical and decent for a truck of this size. It is not really horrible, unless you own a Prius now or some such. My pick/up truck does 13 MPG. A 5 tonner is several times bigger and has 7-8 MPG. I think that it is acceptable. I will drive my pickup truck to Walmart, and the 5 tonner where it is necessary.

Hooper

First I would like to start off by saying hi to everyone. I am new on here but have been reading and learning for months I just bought an m105a3 trailer waiting for the owner to get title so I can pick it up. So my question is I am looking for a new toy to pull my boat with I have a 28.5ft scarab that weights in at around 8000 lbs on trailer. I currently pull it with a 2001 dodge ram 3500 cummins its turned up some around 320 hp and 700ft lbs. I tow 1 steep long grade mountain with I feel that even that truck struggles with so I dont want to go backwards much if any unless I have to. My ideal trucks are either a m931a2 and make a custom short bed for it not really needing the length of a m923 or the second truck would be an m35a3 but I am not liking top speed of 48-50 I know its not a race buit I am just think that will really struggle on the hills. So please any wisdom you have would be greatly appreciated thank you.

The M35A3 is a peice of crap. Stay away from them. Get the 5 ton and crank up the hp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks