• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2' 1/2 lift block questions for M1008

Boilermkr84

Ok So fist of all, I just bought the truck on a local auction near my home. The truck was a work truck for a big plantation and just recently they liquidated a majarity of the assets. So I picked up the truck for 1,200 bucks. I baught the truck as a non running truck and got her going after bypassing the glow plug controller when I got it home. Furthermore I dont know a hole heck of alot about these particular trucks but I do already have a K5 blazer that I have tinkered with for the past few years. So i do have some knowledge about some things but definatly not a mechanic by any means.

If your still reading, my intention is to re hoof the truck with a set of 36 military tires i picked up this weekend for 300 bucks.

My milestones are that the truck does not have alot of room in the fenderwells. I was thinking about trimming the fenders back to the inner fender and adding some 2" 1/2 lift blocks but I had a concern or two. one being will the steering arm coming off the power steering box have to be altered (raised up were the 3 wedge nuts are located) to work right. second being, will the tires have enough clearance after I do these altercations.

My intention is to not have to buy a 4 or 6 inch lift because of the high cost and hopefully this would be fairly easy and cheap..

Any thoughts would be appriciated.

Attachments

First of all, welcome to the forum. You will find ANYTHING you need to know about MVs on here. The search feature is your best friend, before you post common questions. Some of the senior members can get grumpy from time to time :eek:, as they have answered the same questions for years! Now, to answer yours. First ill say use the search! there are a bajillion threads on lifts for 1008s with 36 inch tires.

I'd say that with your 2.5 lift blocks (please please please dont put blocks up front), you would clear 36's...BARELY. im talkin, you hit a bump and you're probably rubbin. You will need to trim your fenders a bit. Every truck is different but 36's are pushing it with 2.5 inches of lift. In order to do it RIGHT, you're gonna need at least a 4 inch lift. You can get a rough country 4 inch, with srpings in the front and blocks in the rear, complete kit with shocks for 349$. That's not to pricey, IMHO. Chevy / GMC Suspension Lift check out that link to rough country. I just put a 2 inch RC lift on my 1009 with 33's and it turned out awesome! The kit took about 4 hours to install with a friend helpin, and everything was a direct bolt in. No issues with fitment or anything. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/65439-m1009-before-after.html

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
1: you better NOT be adding blocks to the front springs... That is a DOT no no and if you get busted your going to get it.

2: just get a 4 inch lift kit. That way you don't have to trim and it will come will all the parts needed (shocks, steering arm, rear blocks and shims, front spring, hardware ect).

3: High cost? search Ebay... you can get a lift with all the parts for under $400.

4: If your going to do it the wrong way do not come looking for help here. You add blocks to the front your endangering everyone

OLDCHEV4X4

I agree, buy the 4" kit and do it right. No fender trimming or front lift blocks. Those tires you bought are sometimes hard to get balanced and like to follow the groove in the road.

Boilermkr84

Well I orginally thought they were around 800 to 1,000 bucks. For what you guys are telling me, I will go ahead and order one today and westech I promise I will do it the right way for you.haha...

Matt65

Check the specs on my lift in my signature. It would also suggest using the 37 Hummer radials they can be had very cheap.

sandcobra164

Welcome from Leesburg, GA, about an hour away from you. I'm glad you're not using blocks on the front and will be curious to see how it looks when you're done. I plan on running the 37's on HMMWV wheels but am thinking of going 6 inches and doing a crossover steering conversion as recommended by some people on here. Also, figure on getting a frame brace for the steering box as they are prone to crack the frame where the box bolts up.

Boilermkr84

I actually bought the tuck out of leesburg a few weeks ago. Also my mistake on the "3 wedge nuts, I was thinking about the dana 44 1 ton front axle on my blazer.

It also hit me after I puchased the lift from ruff country, if it came with the correct steering arm because it didnt give me an option for a dana 60 or anything but it did ask if it was over a 3/4 ton? I did however let them know this in the comment box.

P.s. thanks everyn=body fo rall your help!

dstang97

you are going to need some more parts. RC does not make a 1 ton lift
you will also need to buy

1 big ubolt for the front and 2 longer bolts
3/4 spring plates

TCUCV

you are going to need some more parts. RC does not make a 1 ton lift
you will also need to buy

1 big ubolt for the front and 2 longer bolts
3/4 spring plates
So your saying if ordering a 3/4 ton lift from RC, then he should order a bigger ubolt for the front and 2 longer bolts + 3/4 spring plates . . . does the kit not come with everything needed to complete the kit correctly?

I'm asking b/c I'm about to purchase a 4" 3/4 ton kit from RC here soon, I was under the impression that the kit came with everything. Thanks,

dstang97

No you need to buy one u bolt and 2 longer bolts for the front because of the Dana 60. The rear has u bolts that go up instead of down so you need to make or find plates

OLDCHEV4X4

While you have it apart.......(these projects always snowball).....I would replace the front spring, rear shackle bushings. The ones in the frame. The bushing kit from Energy Suspension has the ones for the spring too. You wouldn't use them, cause the springs come with their own bushings.

Boilermkr84

Well I have access to a machine shop and I have already had to make a complete set of u bolts when I did the 8 lug conversion on my blazer.(pic attached) Also I got a good 4x4 fab shop close that does alot with these trucks and im sure hes got a something for the spring plates. So these are not the big issue for me.

One thing I do now and have not gotten a clear understanding of yet. Is the steering arm, I know that the 3/4 tons came with a factory dana 44 and I know that the M1008 came with a dana 60. So I may have to buy this part to from what Im thinking.

Attachments

Matt65

While you have it apart.......(these projects always snowball).....I would replace the front spring, rear shackle bushings. The ones in the frame. The bushing kit from Energy Suspension has the ones for the spring too. You wouldn't use them, cause the springs come with their own bushings.
+1 on this comment. If it's rubber it will probably need to be replaced, and they are cheap. My stabi bar was missing all but 1. Drag link same condition.

dstang97

Well I have access to a machine shop and I have already had to make a complete set of u bolts when I did the 8 lug conversion on my blazer.(pic attached) Also I got a good 4x4 fab shop close that does alot with these trucks and im sure hes got a something for the spring plates. So these are not the big issue for me.

One thing I do now and have not gotten a clear understanding of yet. Is the steering arm, I know that the 3/4 tons came with a factory dana 44 and I know that the M1008 came with a dana 60. So I may have to buy this part to from what Im thinking.
you need one for the D60. I think i bought one from ebay.

Boilermkr84

Ok after doing some research I found out that a 2 1/2" block is made to raise the steering arm. But I cant find anything on themabout them working for a 4" lift. what information I found out about it only talks about it working with a 2 1/2. The only other thing i found was like a kingpin steering arm or something like a double crossover steering arm. One thing for sure all of it sounds expensive. I guess im going o wait until the lift gets her b/c I noted a dana 60 front axle when i bought it and they aint called me yet eather? to be continued.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks