• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 1/2 ton Auto Trans+ M1078's trans ?

1951M1078

5 ton Auto Trans+ M1078's trans ?

Anybody know how close the 5 ton Auto trans is to the M1078 auto ? Shift about the same from say 3-7 on the M1078 ? Drove mine today for 15 miles and I'm ok with the way it shifts after its worm. Reason I ask I'm looking into using the 2 1/2 ton trans in my Semi/RV project.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

Ok first off Don't the 1544 is just an Allison 540 with an extra gear and at 170 horses the duce motor just about maxes out, and maybe exceeds the torque limitations of the transmission, you toss that thing behind a bc350 and the trans wont last long. On the rv you would need to use an Allison 3000 transmission tuned for your hp and torque I have an international 4900 in the fleet, and also maintain an Isuzu badged ad a gmc t7500 that have the early model t-handle shifter on them, that is what you should be looking for you will have 5 speeds and they will take the torque of your big cummins. you would be best looking at a place that specializes in truck salvage because you will need the standalone controller and wiring harness. Before you install a used trans, remove the back cover and replace the rear clutches and steels, I have seen these eat the teeth right off the inside of the clutches because all the force of the drivetrain runs through the last set of clutches.

1951M1078

snowtrac, what year's am I looking for ? Thanks for the input.

Back to the question, is the shifting about the same ? The trans is a friend of mine out of a 5 ton. Think its a MT654cr.

Got the truck size wrong. Re-set the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks