• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 1/2 vs 5 Ton in the Sand??

Havasu Sun

First let me say what an awesome forum and website you guys have here. I have been plowing through the postings and feel like I have recieved 2 years worth of education in 2 weeks.

So my question is..... Which truck handles better in the sand, a 2 1/2 or a 5 ton truck? I pulled my camper behind my 3/4 ton chevy 4x4 in the sand a couple of weeks ago and we got stuck. Real stuck! I got lucky, there happend to be a guy out there that had a older 5 ton nearby to pull me out. Does anyone have any experience pulling a camper in the sand with their truck? Do the super singles in the rear do better than the duallies?

Any info you can share would be appreciated.

Troll1216

FOr my driver class with the Deuce at my dept. we drove in a sand pit that was deep. 6x6 worked well, even pulled out another Deuce where the driver forgot to engage the 6x6. This was with standard NDT tires. Never towed with it though in sand.

Ridgerunner

The key to sand is, you want to stay on the top. Once you dig through the surface, your done. A Deuce is much lighter, with basically the same foot print as a 5 ton. So it should have better flotation on the soft sand. My bet, would be that a Deuce would fair better in the sand.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They will both get stuck if operated improperly......the most important thing on sand is floatation.....staying on top of the sand and not digging in.

Best way is to air down the tires......super singles may have an advantage over duals in sand.

sp00n

singles will absolutely do better in sand. let them down to 10-20psi for best results. the M35 will do better in sand for no other reason than it weighs less, but both the 2.5 and 5t trucks are heavy enough to sink themselves pretty quickly. tire spin is not your friend.

Havasu Sun

Thanks for the insight. The 5 ton that pulled me out had now problem. He mentioned he preferred the 5 ton because of the weight and he felt it handled better in the sand. Sounds like they would both get the job done.

velociT

Thanks for the insight. The 5 ton that pulled me out had now problem. He mentioned he preferred the 5 ton because of the weight and he felt it handled better in the sand. Sounds like they would both get the job done.
Were you driving on dry Lake Travis lakebed?

I almost had to pull out a half ton that buried himself in dry Lake Travis sand. His buddy yanked him out with a 4x4 Ranger though, I was surprised.

Flyingvan911

Large single tires will help alot whether it's a deuce or 5 ton. Low ground pressure is the key. I know a guy with a 5 ton with less ground pressure than a deuce.

shannondeese

I have a bobbed Deuce singled out with 395's. I play in the sand fairly regularly and have no problems other than going up the dunes. Going straight up a large sand dune isn't going to happen. You have to plan ahead and angle up. Yes I have burried mine and had to winch out. Not a big deal. Just go with a buddy.

wehring

axle buck

Be careful of rear axle buck. You will want to add shocks to the rear axles to frame. I go beach camping in deep sand at least once per month with my M939 5ton.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are running stock NDT duals there is another option that can help. Add weight to the very back of the bed, right in front of the tailgate. WIth 8 tires back there you will barely notice it but it lightens up the steer tires a bunch. The front will sink 10 times faster than the back.

F18hornetM

Letting the air down to 10-15 in either 5 or 2 1/2 ton, makes a huge difference. I live near a beach, and you would be surprised how many people [tourists] try to go and not let air down. And they dont have 10 tires to let it out of.
Ive seen travel trailers pulled down the beach, let the air out of those tires too, but even then have seen them pulled by 2 pickups. A MV I think would do much better with a travel trailer because of its weight. just a thought.

F18hornetM

If you are running stock NDT duals there is another option that can help. Add weight to the very back of the bed, right in front of the tailgate. WIth 8 tires back there you will barely notice it but it lightens up the steer tires a bunch. The front will sink 10 times faster than the back.

Funny you say that, when i was a kid, noone had 4x4s, we would put sand on the tailgate of the 2 wheel drive pickups..worked good.

F18hornetM

Be careful of rear axle buck. You will want to add shocks to the rear axles to frame. I go beach camping in deep sand at least once per month with my M939 5ton.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

That looks like fun, camping with the MV, our beach wont allow anything with more than 2 axles on it. And if the Piping plovers are mating, won't let you on the beach at all!!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you driving on dry Lake Travis lakebed?

I almost had to pull out a half ton that buried himself in dry Lake Travis sand. His buddy yanked him out with a 4x4 Ranger though, I was surprised.
My bother (aka Texasjake) in Spicewood, TX has seen a number of people stuck in Lake Travis's Dry lake beds in the past month.

Mack 121472

we have 2, 2.5 tons an 8, 5tons an 1, 20 ton an we run 395s an 1600s the 5 tons will out do the duces pulling all the way around an the 20ton will pull more than a 5 ton do to the fact of weight a 5ton weighs in at 19500 an a 20 ton is 30000 # i run 15.5 pounds in the frount an 7.5 in the back an i run 1600s on hemit wheels you must air down in the sand.:beer:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pull trailers a lot. I think that my 2 1/2 runs better in the sand w/ a trailer on, it helps keep the rear from hopping & spinning. I do also air down, but then I only run 25 in the rear duals as it is (loads of dirt/sand roads). Elise's 109, w/ singles & the weight of the box, does way better than mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks