• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 or 5 ton truck?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I admit I missed that you specified you were filtering down to 0.5 microns. Many filtration setups only go down to 10 or 5 microns.

Here's what I could find regarding abrasive particle size distribution in used diesel motor oil. Used gas oil will be different.
.12 micron wouldn't be caught by a .5 micron filter, in this case (obviously). The question is, if factory filters are usually 10-20 micron, what contaminants are they letting in that wouldn't do damage, that these .12 micron contaminants would.

For reference, the thickness of a human hair is between 17 and 180 microns, depending on race/genetics/hair type.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.12 micron wouldn't be caught by a .5 micron filter, in this case (obviously). The question is, if factory filters are usually 10-20 micron, what contaminants are they letting in that wouldn't do damage, that these .12 micron contaminants would.

For reference, the thickness of a human hair is between 17 and 180 microns, depending on race/genetics/hair type.
My understanding is the OEM filters on the NHC250 filter to 10 microns, but some of the spin on filters go as fine as 3 microns.

Attachments

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you mind posting some info about the class f license you mentioned? I've been researching this for a while and have never come across that I just researched it again and still couldn't find anything about the class f. Is this a federal thing or specific to a certain state or states?
Hey the class F license was designed for a class A motorhome pulling a trailer. Basically my license says air brake combination in excess of 26,000 pounds. It is not for earning any money. There are even some people that work at the DMV that don’t know anything about a class F license. I basically got pulled over by transport police and was driving an air brake dump truck. So that is how I got my education about a class F license.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey the class F license was designed for a class A motorhome pulling a trailer. Basically my license says air brake combination in excess of 26,000 pounds. It is not for earning any money. There are even some people that work at the DMV that don’t know anything about a class F license. I basically got pulled over by transport police and was driving an air brake dump truck. So that is how I got my education about a class F license.
That's SC. Other states have other laws. Some states allow you to drive virtually anything if it's not in commerce, other states require add'l licensure, such as a non-CDL class A or B.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long ago was that? Is that an obsolete classification?
I did some more research and now I found it might be a South Carolina thingScreenshot_20230212-171514.png

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some more research and now I found it might be a South Carolina thing
You must not be reading my posts, because I've said that twice now...

:LOL:

You're pretty well hosed in CA. I think they consider anything over 16K or has more than 2 axles to be considered commercial.

Even a deuce falls under their commercial vehicle laws.

ToddJK

I think the used oil filtration is a valid point. I filter a lot of it, but it can be costly to get everything started, but worth it if you use a lot of it. I tend to stay away from used diesel oil if possible, large amounts of it anyway, as it's way dirtier than gas powered wmo. I like the thought of using wvo, but that stuff really needs to be filtered well or it causes all kinds of problems, but that's unobtainable for me since they all get paid to recycle that stuff around here, but no one wants to pay to recycle wmo, so that's what I get. I'll say though, it's not a bad idea to keep some filtered wmo sitting around, mixed with some gas or diesel, just in case for a shortage or a local catastrophe depending on your area.

wap

A little late to the party but I have a 817 (and a few other old diesels) and have been researching running wmo/diesel. 2 things I'll mention. ATF and hydraulic fluids are the best to burn so if you have a hydrualic shop near by maybe see if they will give you their used oil. I have decided (have yet to purchase) to use a centrifuge. From what I can tell no filter will filter as well as a centrifuge. You do have to clean the centrifuge but there are no filters to purchase after the fact. I want to get my barrels and all set up before I spend the 2-3k on the unit I want. It is a big investment but besides the obvious emergency benefits I can save well over the upstart cost in the first year. I can run it in several trucks and tractors and I also have at least 1k gallons of used oil already at my shop just from the services I do.

CGarbee

South Carolina has a Class F non-commercial license...

Just a FYI for those interested in comparing and contrasting how the States manage these issues....

In North Carolina, we have both Commercial and Non-Commercial versions of the A and B licenses...
A is for a truck over 26,001 lbs with a trailer over 10,000 lbs
B is for a truck over 26,001 lbs with a trailer less then 10,000lbs
C is for a vehicle less than 26,001lbs (regular default operator's permit/license...)

The only difference in the appearance of the license is the text line stating Commercial or Non Commercial.
The Non-Commercial license does not have the medical requirements of the Commercial license.
Both the Commercial and Non-Commercial versions have the same knowledge and skills testing requirements.

For those of you wondering about having a truck less then 26,001 lbs with a trailer over 10,000lbs? If you are Commercial, get the A...if you are Non-Commercial, run with the C license but make sure that the tag on the truck has enough weight assigned to it to cover the truck and the trailer...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks