• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5ton vs 5ton axles

madsam

Looks like Eastern Surplus has done that. I don't like the looks. It would be better with singles on it.

yorkgulch2

One of the best things about the 5 ton axles is the availability and prices of wide and combat rims for
the supersingles.
Making or buying duece wide rims is expensive or time consuming and a possible issue with CDOT. If I had the choice I would go with the 5 ton axles mainly for the wheel options and savings. The extra capacity and higher differential ratios are just more pluses.

houdel

With a single rear axle and single rear tires, I doubt the frame is the load limiting factor, as the frame is rated to support two rear axles and 4 tires. The limiting factor is going to be the lesser of the tire capacity, axle capacity, or suspension capacity. Michelin 395/85R20 XZL tires are rated at 18,000+ pounds per tire in a single configuration at 95 PSI. I don't have data for the 14:00, 14:50 or 16:00 size milsurp tires, but I would suspect a pair would exceed the load ratings of either a single axle or the suspension.

From the Memphis date provided by Jaonjc, the 5 ton front suspension is rated at 18,000 pounds, the rear tandem at 44,000 pounds, so a single 5 ton rear axle should be good for 22,000 pounds. So your rear is going to be limited by either the axle or the suspension you hang it on. To extrapolate jatonka's suggestion, I wold derate the 5 ton front suspension to 14,000 pounds and a 5 ton rear axle to 18,000 pounds. So you would have a 5 ton front axle and suspension rated at 14,000 pounds. If you used 5 ton rear axle and front springs, you are still limited to 14,000 pounds on the rear for a total of 28,000 pounds. If you came up with a better rear suspension to support the maximum rear axle capacity of 18,000 pounds, you could end up with a max capacity of 32,000 pounds. Quite a bit better than the Deuce front axle, Deuce rear axle/Deuce front suspension gross of 18,000 pounds.

Legal disclaimer: These are not sound engineering calculations, this is a SWAG based on guesstimates of uncertain origin. Your mileage may vary. If you are going to push this to the limit, consult with a competent engineer to calculate a more definitive capacity rating.

BSH

Spicer, your deuce is actually one of the ones I like best. I personally don't need the crane, but the rest of that setup is awesome. Cat 3208, mmmmm.

magic2756

Guy I know has a 2 ton Chevy C70 rated GVW 23,000lb total on a single axle truck
His other truck Chevy C70 the door tags rated GVW 30,000lb total on a single axle truck .
I would hope the deuce axle or under rated being military . just a thought

Csm Davis

if you go by the data tags you can haul 10,000 lbs in the bed on road the off road is half that because of the high center of gravity.
if you go by the axel rating you can do 12,000 lbs in the bed on road
now if you don't care if you may damage something, I know one that has been running with little maintance 6 days aweek with 25-30,000 for about ten years.

now if someone has bent a 2.5 ton axel without being totaly stupid I would love to hear all about it, my dad started moving houses with one in the '60s

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks