• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 Batteries Needed Post-Roscommon 12V Conversion?

spectre6000

I can make a case for and against in my head. Has anyone run a single battery after converting to 12V? I'm contemplating an isolated in-house battery setup, and it'd be nice to be able to use the second battery for that purpose versus having to get and locate a third. Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the high compression of the 6.2L, your starter will appreciate the extra battery.

spectre6000

That's what I was trying to suss out. I knew the civilian models were 12V all the way, but wasn't sure what the battery situation was. Thanks. I imagine a single battery would technically work so long as the battery were sufficiently powerful, but two is pretty much minimum.

Skinny

One battery would do it if it was an 8D. A sufficiently sized single battery would weigh over 100 pounds and not be easy to fit in the engine compartment. Don't reinvent the wheel, a pair of decent group 31's will set you back two bills and work great.

Keith_J

Power to turn over the engine remains the same, with two in series, current is halved for the starter. The glow plug draw is the same, half of that power is dissipated on the resistor bank in the 24 volt system.

Yes, use 2 batteries which is a tad bit more efficient since the 1200 watts dissipated in the resistor bank goes away. But you have double the draw on the starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks