• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 Diffrent VIN's on my truck

sellbooze

So here the deal. I bought a truck from Russel's Millitary Vehicles in Cairo,Ga a few weeks back , and while getting my VIN info for CARNAC to do his research on it I found that The VIN on the dash (the one that is on my title that was given) dose not match the VIN on the frame !!! So with out spazzing out , I thought I would run it by y'all to see what your theories may be.
Heres mine ; at some point the cab was damaged,rusted,KIA,etc and was replaced (Frankensteined) on to the the current chassis that I have.
please advise....

Last edited:

tm america

They probably couldn't get a title to the truck they had and found someone parting one out and got the title and dash tag from them..If they switched the cab they would have a tile for the frame and probably would have just switched the old tag onto the new cab
..not good not good at all..

sellbooze

switching the data plate does seem a little more practical ....lol
I went out to the truck and removed the plate , and there is some paint on it that is a totally difrent color than any of the many coats of paint that I can see.
@TM america , yes this is no good at all , not happy at this minute. Gonna def call and see if they know any thing(or will admit) might have been GL that has done it. Well I hope that CARNAC can work his magic on this one , because all the data of manufacture and year of the truck might be for the data plate and not the frame. :evil::evil::evil::evil:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here the deal. I bought a truck from Russel's Millitary Vehicles in Cairo,Ga a few weeks back , and while getting my VIN info for CARNAC to do his research on it I found that The VIN on the dash (the one that is on my title that was given) dose not match the VIN on the frame !!! So with out spazzing out , I thought I would run it by y'all to see what your theories may be.
Heres mine ; at some point the cab was damaged,rusted,KIA,etc and was replaced (Frankensteined) on to the the current chassis that I have.
please advise....
Sounds like Russel's Millitary Vehicles has some paperwork to fix.
Not an uncommon situation. The truck could have came from the Gov't that way. Personally I'd get them to issue a title with the frame vin and buy a replacement data tag for it.

sellbooze

@Bob H , I sure hope they can fix it . They have issued me a GA title with the dash vin on it. I have not regestered it with the state of FL yet . I am going to call Russells first , they were great to deal with and I am sure that they will make things good.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The correct thing to do is title and register it by the chassis vin #. If you title and register it based on teh dataplate on the dash, it would be incorrect and could lead to problems in the future.

Do not even ask for the dash vin info. You need to ask for the frame vin info.

I'd take it back to the place you bought it. They have a legal responsibility to fix it or refund you 100% of all costs for the truck.

jasonjc

Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure there are 2 diffrent vin's? Why I ask this is a lot of pepole do not understand the military way of numbering the trucks.

Frist the "frame vin" that is the number that the manufacturer stamps in the frame. This is what you should use as the VIN.

Then you have the militarys registration number (also call the USA number) is what the military traked the truck by and is the only number they realy cared about.

If the military had replaced the plate in the cab they would have put this number on it. Some times you will see it it and the frame vin both on the dash tag all together or spaced a part. Some pepole that don't know/understand will use the 2 together as the vin also. The military use 3 or 4 diffrent reg nubmbering systems over the years. Look in Military Vehicles Magazine issue #119 Feb 2007. It will tell you lot more about this and what the numbers mean.

I hope this helps.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was in the Army in the early 70s, it was very common to steal vehicles from another unit not nearby and swap the dataplates and change the registration #s on the hood as well as the unit information between the two vehicles. We did this right before inspections. We would go cruising around other bases looking for really good looking vehicles. We would then leave the old vehicle near the unit where their vehicle was lifted. No one ever checked frame serial numbers in those days. This was a very common practice in those days so there are undoubtedly a lot of vehicles with contradicting information out there.

If you can have someone discretely run the frame VIN to see if it was listed as stolen, do it. If there is no record of that VIN, you can try to have the State correct the VIN number on the title, but I don't know if they would do that. As others have said, I would start with the seller.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would think if the truck was never stolen and came from Gl without ever been titled then all is good Not correct but good. I have two trucks that came from GL so I know they are not stolen and the plate and frame don't match. If you thought the truck was stolen you could have the DMV run the frame numbers and if it was not stolen again to me no big deal.

jwaller

pretty common, just abuot every hmmwv that was sold at the ga auction came with the incorrect data plate.

as I understand it they were all removed from the trucks and then as the buyers turned in their paperwork they were allowed to reach into a box and grab a data plate.

with that being said, data plates are worthless and as you can see require no work to remove and replace. be sure your title matches the vin on the frame. then you can buy another blank data plate (mvdataplate.com) and stamp yours with the right number.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's really easy to fix in GA. Buy a blank date plate, have it stamped with the chassis info/number. Get a new bill of sale from the seller (with correct VIN), have it inspected by a LEO, go register it. Simple.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks