• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 Guys on a roadtrip

stud_man50

Hello all, A coworker and I are stationed in Cape Canaveral, FL and saw a M35A2 at the DRMO and we had to have one. Paul "my coworker" got on Govliquidation and won a M35A3 in Ft. Meade, MD. He was just fully approved for the "end user" y2 days ago, so we booked our plane tickets on the 6th to pick it up. the description said "driven on the lot" and I guess the guys at Ft. Meade said it drove off the "truck". My question is what all do you guys think we should bring for the 800 Mile trip home to FL?? I can't wait for this journey to begin! I figured the essential's like a sleeping bag, gorilla tape, a few wrenchs and a carton of smokes... I can't wait to keep reading the site.

Green_gator

Ear plugs, ear muffs, balls of wax, anything to cut the sound. On a serious note, take a look at some of the threads that give a good list of supplies and things to check. Reach out to some of the folks who are along the route to see if they are willing to provide assistance if needed. I would plan on not making the trip in a single day. A shower, A/C and comfortable bed make a huge difference. There are a lot of members here in Florida to provide advice. Got any photos of the deuce as someone may see something in a picture that is of concern. I have a list of tools, parts and fluids I take for recoveries on my other pc and will try to remember to post them when I get to work in the morning.

stancanpara

Congrats on your new Tonka truck!

Which route are you taking back south? I'm a few miles northwest of Richmond VA. If you are heading down Route 1 or I-95 between Fredericksburg and Richmond VA and have any problems you can give me a call. PM me if you want my cell phone number.

If you are flying, it would almost make more sense to make your tools and supplies list and purchase them AFTER you get off the plane...for what the airlines charge these days for luggage (specially as heavy as tools are) it might even be cheaper!

Don't know how you are planning on getting from the airport to the truck, but locating the right stores for your supplies ahead of time might be a good idea as well if you go that route...?

However you decide to do the trip, :driver: Good Luck and be safe!!!! :driver:

scoutmanadam

congrats on the truck. money is a must, you never know. as well as as much knowledge on the truck from the tm's that you can absorb between now and then. also, this site is full of awesome members who will help you along the way should mr murphy show his face. besides that have fun and take her easy

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why cloud the picture with rationalism? Hope the ctis works! This sounds like something Westy would get me involved in. I wish you guys the best of luck.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with GR: Reality is a concept! Boo to naysayers!

Go on up there and figure out how to make it run and bring her home!

The I95 corridor looks beautiful at 50mph!

Rick

renovate7

I would disconnect the CTIS by removing the line from the wheel hub to the CTIS valve on each wheel. Put a plug in the CTIS valve. Very easy to do and you sure don't want that thing going out on you while your on this adventure...Be prepared to buy 2 new batteries...Most no start situations on these A3's that have been sitting seem to be a stuck backflow/check valve on top of the fuel tank..Make SURE you have insurance. Call Gulfway Insurance here in Florida, 727-863-5451. They can bind you on the phone and fax/email proof of insurance... As far as weigh stations/no valid licensse plate just keep looking straight ahead with a serious look on your face, might help if you have your uniform on...Do a search and read ALL the threads on recoveries and seperately on A3's.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a friend in the area, ship up your tools and towbar in advance. Lots of good points made already but the most serious concern has not been addressed. More important than "Does it Run" is "Does it Stop". If it doesn't go or stops going, you can get out and kick the tires and be angry. If it doesn't stop the results can be far more devastating. GL is not always forthcoming with their descriptions. What experience do you have with the M35A3? I would be getting the manuals and reading overtime. Some of the read won't make sense now but once seated in the truck, it will. Post a GL link or pics so we can scrutinize your purchase.

KsM715

Here's my 2cents. If 2 of you are planning on going. I would drive not fly. You can carry all your tools and fluids with you and you have a back up vehicle if you need to make a run for parts.

stud_man50

Thanks guys for all the ideas. We are planning on driving in shifts because we have to be back the following Monday because of work, so that gives us 5 days. And I will tell him about the insurance. I was wondering what he was going to do? Lol. I was also thinking about wearing our uniforms but I think it would look funny two coasties driving an Army truck.

KsM715

I know your new so dont take this the wrong way. Per the rules we are not supposed to post links to GL lots. I know its over, its not about that, the links go dead and in a month or 2 people reading this thread will not be able to see your truck. The best way is to save the pictures to your computer then post them from there.

Like this:

Attachments

goldwing2000

Banned
Ther's no rule against posting a link to a closed auction, only an active one.
And in a month when the links go dead, this thread will be irrelevant because he will have already recovered the truck.

Also, if he has just posted pics and not the link, we wouldn't have seen, in big bold letters, "...has 2 flat tires."

stud_man... you might want to address that issue. :shock:

stud_man50

From the pictures they don't look totally flat. I hop they hold air. I guess we should do a little reading on the tire inflation system and causes for flat tires. Also there was quite a bidding war on this one particularly so were hoping someone scoped it out and that this was the best out of the 4 or 5 that went on auction that day.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for the bidding war it could have been a couple other people who thought the same thing and just kept bidding and no one ever looked at it. 2cents