• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 inch receiver hitch source?

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking add a 2 inch receiver hitch. I've found prices from $299 to $599. WTH?

I don't suppose anyone on here is making a few at an actual reasonable cost?
It a doggy dog world out there when it comes to MV’s and unfortunately that is probably your best bet for one now.
I learned very quickly that you need lots and lots of money or need to become a fabricator and a backyard mechanic with these vehicles.
Me, I’m a poor old “country boy”, so fabrication is where I’m at.
Good luck.

Guruman

Not so new member
It a doggy dog world out there when it comes to MV’s and unfortunately that is probably your best bet for one now.
I learned very quickly that you need lots and lots of money or need to become a fabricator and a backyard mechanic with these vehicles.
Me, I’m a poor old “country boy”, so fabrication is where I’m at.
Good luck.
It sure was not always that way. It's more than a bit sad, really.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm surprised you found a quality hitch for that cheap or even a bad one for that matter. I'd say the $599 is on the low side.

We had a member that made hitches but he is not around anymore.

Third From Texas

I'm looking add a 2 inch receiver hitch. I've found prices from $299 to $599. WTH?

I don't suppose anyone on here is making a few at an actual reasonable cost?
When someone actually *makes* something, I don't mind them charging for their product.
*opposed to flipping a $20 something they won at auction for $900

That said, I base value on quality. If it's a "weld it yourself kit", the quality will be on who welds it so the parts are only worth what I can have the local fab shop spit out for me. And some save on shipping by letting you purchase your own receiver box. In the end, if you have a fab shop near you then that's always going to be the most cost effective.

It goes back to if you value you time above your money or visa-versa,

But yeah, that's about $60-80 worth of 1/4" raw steel stock and a $20 receiver tube. No complex angles. Pretty easy to cut with a hand grinder/cutting wheel. Curves take some time to do right, but beyond that it's a three hour DIY job.

I invested in a welding rig and it paid for itself in a year. I have a steel supplier about 20 minutes from the house. And if something is beyond my scope, there are fab shops all over this town.

Last edited:

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at this one because it add the bolts underneath instead of being just a flat plate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LMTV-FMTV-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

ETA-I could build it myself but the older I get the lazier I get. That said I still have to fab a winch mount.
Here you go. $$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Here you go. $$$$$$$$$$$

<snork>

Digger440

Here you go. $$$$$$$$$$$

I saw that a while back and about had a coronary when I saw the price tag. 400 for a hitch is one thing, but a 2600 bumper. I will get off my lazy butt and build it myself for that price.

Third From Texas

I saw that a while back and about had a coronary when I saw the price tag. 400 for a hitch is one thing, but a 2600 bumper. I will get off my lazy butt and build it myself for that price.
Hey, it adds up fast:

NOS auction LMTV bumper = $150
Steel stock = $60
Welding rods = $12
Paint = $10
Labor = $50
Profit = $2318

I don't see a problem.

/sarcasm

;)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, it adds up fast:

NOS auction LMTV bumper = $150
Steel stock = $60
Welding rods = $12
Paint = $10
Labor = $50
Profit = $2318

I don't see a problem.

/sarcasm

;)
Oh im on the turn signal trail for the steering colum and some have it for $435 and ive got down to 120 in the US but if orderd from mfg for as low as $15ish so 15 bucks each and sale them for 435 thats not bad to pay a little profit to stock them on a shelf

B-Dog

The price seems high but who cares. No matter what the price is, it's going to be high for a DIY person/community. I live my life by, "why buy it for $20 when I can make it for $100!?"

I'm more curious how/if they're structurally tying into the frame. The (4) 12mm bolts that attach the 11ga (?) bumper aren't sufficient for a winch.

Guruman

Not so new member
The price seems high but who cares. No matter what the price is, it's going to be high for a DIY person/community. I live my life by, "why buy it for $20 when I can make it for $100!?"

I'm more curious how/if they're structurally tying into the frame. The (4) 12mm bolts that attach the 11ga (?) bumper aren't sufficient for a winch.
Yeah, I'm shopping for a CNC plasma cutter now so I can make my own hitch.

As for that winch bumper, I'm betting they are tying into the shackle mounts, that's what I'd do.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are wishing for the good ole days pricing:

I can't find anything about the Team America hitch and design he had. I know he sold a few on here and it actually attached to the pintle.

I wish George was still around.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks