• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 issues, little help please.

First, Whine and funky steering: Swapped the steering pump for a used one on hand. Swapped the belts. Cleaned up the brackets to the pump and alt. Fixed a broken bolt I found. I have a whine like tires on the highway, faster and slower w/ the engine, ? bearing noise. Steering is "jumpy" when at idle. It did this before the swap, was better for a little bit, now back. Pump or hydro-boost?

Second, Slow starts: Turned up the fuel and found the well there was dry. It's been taking some cranking of late to start. Is there an air leak, fuel leak, or ?, and if so, where?

given the fact that when pump was switched... the replacement pump was used... and did get better, but problem is back... I would try a brand new reman... before i would mess with hydro boost... its the simpler and cheaper route in trying to resolve this particular issue..

i would look into the gp's.. as culprit in slow to start.. Ohm out each gp.. and replace accordingly to the TM's

kapnklug

Problem #1: seems like a problem with the hydroboost would affect the brakes, not the steering. Have you followed the procedure in the TM to bleed the lines after replacing the pump?
Problem #2: the well in the IP should be full. Is there a leak at the throttle shaft? I'm thinking fuel drainback issue, requiring the IP to re-prime on every start.

epartsman

What type of fluid did you use? If you used Dexron it may be foaming causing air bubbles. Flush, fill, and bleed first. If that doesnt fix it get a reman pump. There is also the possibility of a bad gear.
Cranking problem sounds like a fuel leak, air getting in. Mine is starting to do the same. I have a leak at the filter and have been starting it @ 1/2 pedal. I am replacing the filter housing this weekend with a used non leaker and GP's if I get time.

1. I used power steering fluid. I bled it by filling and jacking the vehicle and working the wheel lock to lock a bunch of times. I bought a re-man pump and will install that and hope.
2. I don't see any leaks, so where should I look?

islandguydon

I solved my hard start issue. It was a fuel drain back, causing the IP to re prime itself. I fixed it by installing a 12v booster pump at the first hard line break. I wired it to the box so when you turn the key the pump primes. I went from a 20-30 second cold start to a 5 second start every time. This pump is made to push the fuel not draw so install it at the first fuel break near the tank, not under the hood. Available at Auto Zone for under $50.00

I posted this here: Post 36

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/8...-383-green-carc-rock-slider-installation.html

Attachments

Last edited:

ryan77

Sounds like your hydro boost it will effect steering! When mine went out i had no power steering but i had power brakes!!!

epartsman

1. I used power steering fluid. I bled it by filling and jacking the vehicle and working the wheel lock to lock a bunch of times. I bought a re-man pump and will install that and hope.
2. I don't see any leaks, so where should I look?
RE#2. Look whever there is a rubber fuel line (make sure they are not cracked or brittle), inspect the filter housing as they leak, and inspect the IP.

RE#1 Hope the reman pump fixes it as well. You did it right. The pump does however feed the hydroboost and may be having an effect.

Last edited:
Update: Took it out for a long drive and the engine noise is better, but far from gone. It comes and goes now, and seems to surge a little. Wondering if I should advance the pump a hair?

Going to install another pump, a reman, tomorrow and see what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks