• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 month old split axle boots

davey8943

Capt Marion,

Thanks for bringing this thread back up... I installed the zipper boots on my truck about a week after I posted above (hey, I had already paid for them, so I might as well give them a shot!) ;)

Now, about two months later, they are still holding up. I have probably only put a few hundred miles on it since though....

Depending on how long these last, I may buy a set of the silicone boots. I would not be afraid of pulling the front end apart to put on a set of non-zippers.

Dave

Gastrap

I installed a pair of yellow silicone boots last month, seem really durable & were easy to keep in place while tightening. Bought mine from Eriks.

cleb

I used the non-zippered OD Iron ones. The truck was used about 200 miles, sat the rest of the time. I looked at them a year later, cracked to ****. Never heard of Erik's? Do you have a contact number or website? I'll need to re-do mine this next summer :(

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main problem is not the zipper on the zipper boots. It's the material the "rubber" is made of. The non-zipper boots that aren't silicone are just as bad. I just wish they would make a silicone zipper boot.

I can get green silicone boots if you don't like the yellow.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put on a set of the green, zipperless silicones from Erik's the other day...nasty color. They were not overly difficult to get on alone; less than 5 minutes to get each in place and locked on. I substituted a larger, coarser-thread ss machine screw for the screw that came with the clamps. Erik's price was good and shipping was quick and reasonable.

bs

jasonjc

I have the non zipper boot on a few trucks for years, and no cracks. I looked the other day after seeing a thread like this one or this one. I even tried to poke a finger thought them and they are solid.

Put on a set of the green, zipperless silicones from Erik's the other day...nasty color. They were not overly difficult to get on alone; less than 5 minutes to get each in place and locked on. I substituted a larger, coarser-thread ss machine screw for the screw that came with the clamps. Erik's price was good and shipping was quick and reasonable.

bs
5 minutes?? If you say zipperless, do you mean they are one piece, closed? I always thought you had to remove everything to the axle stumps to put one piece boots on?
Maybe I have a misconception here...

Cheers,
Mark

FormerNewMVGuy

I did two deuces with the yellow silicone boots , One truck has held up very well, but the other after about 1 year, i notice the boot is starting to rip where the outer clamp touches the boot, i suppose this could be a faulty boot, or i over tightened the clamp?

plym49

How much do you have to take apart to install a zippered boot? Or can it be done without removing anything?

SteveKuhn

Canvas/Oil Cloth Boot Source?

"...How about good ole canvas, greased up to keep it waterproof and flexible, and your local cobbler with the right sewing machines to stitch um up for ya..." BoatCarpenter

Well, my curb side boot [rubber, zippered, Clark Trucks] popped last night backing slowly into the driveway after about 7 months and 2500 miles. Rotted, chunky like a dry retread that lets go.

Alex, my ex-Russian army mechanic commented that their trucks used 'tarp material' that seemed to last forever from Siberia to Afghanistan, so I googled 'canvas axle boots' and found this:

Canvas cv boots - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This says that 'canvas' means oil cloth and that some used leather with good results.

So has anyone ever used them, made them or purchased them, and if so from what source? Internet says simply use a heavy canvas and either brush on linseed oil (semi-waterproof) or dip/soak for more water proof. Then dry.

Steve

Last edited:

DieselBob

I am in the process of doing the the bearings, seals, king pin bushings, brakes and boots on the front of my deuce. Installing the ODIron non-zipper boots. We'll see how long they last. :roll:
Well I have just over 2 years and maybe 1000~1500 miles and have a very small split starting in the drivers side boot :-(. Looks like time to try the silicone boots. aua

sandcobra164

We recently put new silicone boots on Atomic's Deuce. I like them, just wish they made them black. Of course with a solid boot, you have to tear the axle apart. We did that and confirmed his king pin bushings are in good shape. It's a bit of a job but if you're patient, it can be done.

DieselBob

I think I'll go with the black silicone that Eric's has. Kind of hoped I wouldn't be tearing back into the knuckles so soon but what the heck. At least I know what I'm getting into this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks