• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2-piece vs 3-piece wheels

Rgdl

I have a chance to purchase a set of nearly-new 16.00 x 20 Michelin XZLs already mounted on 3-piece wheels. I'm told this set of wheels and tires has tubes. How do these compare to the HEMTT 2-piece wheels? Anyone know the width of the 3-piece wheels.

The two benefits I see with this purchase are:

1) The tires and wheels are already together and ready to roll.

2) No shipping cost.

I was already considering either the XZLs or the Goodyear AT-A2 in the 16.00 x 20 size and HEMTT wheels. I understood this combination to be tubeless. But I would still have to pay someone to put the tires and wheels together.

How much does it generally cost to have a tire shop mount these tires to the wheels?

Last edited:

100dollarman

You probably wouldnt have to pay to get the 1600s on the HEMTT wheels--- we do it for free (as I would assume most anyplace selling the wheels and tires would). Or, you can do it yourself----takes a little time, but it is not difficult.

Rgdl

Are there any negative issues with using tubes? All newer wheel/tire combinations are tubeless - there must be a reason. Is the only reason for a tube to keep outward pressure on the tire beads?

What about 3-piece wheels? Any negatives?

I'm being offered a set of six 90-95% 16.00 x 20 Michelin XZLs on 3-piece wheels for $300/piece, and there are no shipping costs. Should I jump on it?

Last edited:

Rgdl

I guess I should assume by the lack of replies that folks aren't that knowledgeable about the 3-piece wheels. Sure doesn't give me a vote of confidence on them.

The guy I'm buying my M818 from sells HEMTT wheels for $50/piece. I think I'm going to buy the tires on 3-piecers just for the tires and have them re-mounted on the HEMTT's without the tubes.

Rene M

I guess I should assume by the lack of replies that folks aren't that knowledgeable about the 3-piece wheels. Sure doesn't give me a vote of confidence on them.

The guy I'm buying my M818 from sells HEMTT wheels for $50/piece. I think I'm going to buy the tires on 3-piecers just for the tires and have them re-mounted on the HEMTT's without the tubes.
I am by far no expert but a person i know uses them and likes them a bunch.
I like the HEMTT wheels because they are tubeless and tire work can be done with out the removal of the wheel from the truck. " why spring locks wheels were invented".
In my limited experience tubes suck, i have had far more tube problems than anything else.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

There is nothing wrong with any of the designs. I would choose the hemtt rims to use as they are a tubeless design. I spent $400 on 7 tubes for 395s and I'm sure 1600s would be way more.

Rgdl

I am by far no expert but a person i know uses them and likes them a bunch.
I like the HEMTT wheels because they are tubeless and tire work can be done with out the removal of the wheel from the truck. " why spring locks wheels were invented".
In my limited experience tubes suck, i have had far more tube problems than anything else.
There is nothing wrong with any of the designs. I would choose the hemtt rims to use as they are a tubeless design. I spent $400 on 7 tubes for 395s and I'm sure 1600s would be way more.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I bought them, and I'm going to have the tires installed on the HEMTT wheels without the tubes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks