• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2" receiver hitch on M37

Footloose1797

Some one makes a Pintal hitch that has a ball incorporated on the lower hook. I have two of them on receivers. They appear to have the same mounting plate as the military Pintal hitch. I would think seriously about swapping one of those for the military hitch. I have seen them for sale in my local farm stores. That would allow you to keep the pintal hook as well as the ground clearance. Although for your use I would probably reinforce the rear cross member and braces.

John Mc

Some one makes a Pintal hitch that has a ball incorporated on the lower hook. I have two of them on receivers. They appear to have the same mounting plate as the military Pintal hitch. I would think seriously about swapping one of those for the military hitch. I have seen them for sale in my local farm stores. That would allow you to keep the pintal hook as well as the ground clearance. Although for your use I would probably reinforce the rear cross member and braces.
I considered one of those, but the ball was far to high off the ground for use with any of my trailers. (I have Michelin 11.00R16 tires on the truck, which accounts for some of the height, but even with stock tires, the pintle hitch is still too high.)

fasttruck

Remember you can get a pintle hook that fits in the receiver if you don't have one on the truck frame. I use one to tow my M 101 with a civilian truck that has a receiver.

tobyS

Agree with firewhenready. I purchased the humvee hitch off ebay:

Installed it a bit differently on my M152. Mounted it from behind to clear the M's "S" shaped rear cross member leading edge. Had to trim some of the hitch's gusset and shorten the pintle's castle nut to account for the thickness of the hitch's mounting plate. 4 new longer grade 8 bolts. Works perfect. Attached pictures .
Your problem thmpr will be twisting the rear frame member. You need diagonal bracing from the bottom of the receiver to each side frame (45* angle or so). Clean looking otherwise. Nice job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks