• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 Section Air Tank? Grrr!!!

renovate7

I received a new air tank from Saturn to replace one that had a hole rusted thru the bottom. I'm using this as the tank next to the frame rail. The old tank has one fitting in each end, one on the top for the T fitting and one on the bottom for the drain cock. The new tank has one fitting on each end, two on the top and two on the bottom. I figured it must fit several different applications. After much trial and error I got it installed (hours). The top where the T fitting is was not in the same same location as the old tank (it's closer to the front) and required rerouting the copper air lines...After installing and starting I built to 140 PSI on a gauge I installed in the place of the drain on the other ( inside) tank but got no reading on the dash gauge. The pressure on this gauge kept building so I shut it down. When I open the gladhand on the rear no air. The drain on the bottom of the new tank has air pressure but the T fitting on top, where the gladhand connects, has none. How can this be? The only thing I can figure is the tank must have 2 sections. I can see a ridge in the middle. The pressure relief valve on the other end of this tank never opened even as the pressure got to 160. I'm mighty unhappy right now, it looks like I have to find another tank and do this all over again...Is anyone familiar with a 2 section tank?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think if Saturn would not make it right and it is as you say two in one I might go to home depot and get the extended drill bit and drill a hole between the two. But I'm a shade tree man myself.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most tanks that are sectioned have check valves in them. If you do have a divided tank, there should be an arrow indicating flow. Is there a fairly large plug that was in the tank when you got it that is centered and has numbers stamped on it?

renovate7

Just wanted to report back in...This is a 2 section air tank, no check valve in between. It's labeled "Ventra 02-09-99 12357053". Being this late production I can only guess it's for the dual brake system. My parts manuals, from 1976 and 1993, show 7539241 as the # for the air resevior. I guess I'm a little bit "happy" that's it's easier to get them off the second time, learning curve a bit flatter. So now do I try to find a 13" working length drill bit or a good used tank? Of course all the bits on hand are 12" with a working length of 10.5". I'd really like to get this back together so it's off to the Big Boxes to see what they have.

renovate7

Final report...I used an extension and 1/2" drill bit and drilled a hole thru the divider. Tried to drill a second hole but the bit was wobbly and wouldn't stay in one place. Since the input and output are 1/2" and the T to the gladhand is 1/4" I think I'm good. Got it all put back together and used soapy water to check all the fittings, looks OK. I'm going to call Saturn tomorrow and relate this FRUSTRATING experience. They need to find out what they have and let people know what they are getting. I've never had anything but excellent service/help from Saturn and wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks