• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 Way Radio for David Clark head sets

M11m12

Hello I am trying to put together a 2 way radio so my 4 year old and I can talk while driving the Humvee. We have

2 David Clark Model H3330 Noise canceling Avaition Headsets

Iam trying to see what the best set up would befor us to communicate while driving. It’s more for fun so I don’t want to spend to much money.

I know I am going to need extensions for the headset but I am not sure what 2 way radio to get as well as adaptors.

Any help would be great, I don’t know anything and I am new to all of this. thank you for any input.

donquijote

The quickest way would be to buy a portable intercom box (Tocnet, flightcom, faro, racing radios, etc.) that would allow you to plug in the headsets. Wearing big headsets while driving looks goofy to me, so I prefer a small system.

I've done multiple setups before. I personally use a custom made Bluetooth receiver integrated into the current Sci Tocnet interface with small ear pieces. I spent like 250 in parts.

Another option is a cheap motorcycle Bluetooth intercom system.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Baofeng UV5R on MURS. License free, low power, and the radios are roughly $25 a piece. They support VOX, so no need to key the PTT every time you talk. Adapters are readily available, or you can just buy newer 2 pin headsets for cheap.

M11m12

Thank you all for taking the time and responding. So I am trying to use the David Clark headsets we have because my uncle use to use them. We thought it would be fun to get them up and running again. This is out of my wheel house to please bare with me. So @TechnoWeenie if I buy the Baofeng UV5R on MURS then I would be all set? I also do need longer extensions. Do I still need a intercom box? Thank @donquijote and @therooster2001 for your responses. Also do the headsets need to get power from a source?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for taking the time and responding. So I am trying to use the David Clark headsets we have because my uncle use to use them. We thought it would be fun to get them up and running again. This is out of my wheel house to please bare with me. So @TechnoWeenie if I buy the Baofeng UV5R on MURS then I would be all set? I also do need longer extensions. Do I still need a intercom box? Thank @donquijote and @therooster2001 for your responses. Also do the headsets need to get power from a source?
I'm assuming your headsets are using a 4 pin 1/4" plug ? Or are they the older 2 wire, 2 pin 1/4" plug?

The UV5R is a radio. Advantage is it can be used to talk to others, not just in your truck.

Disadvantage is others can hear your convo if they're close enough.

Intercom can't be intercepted, but a VIC will be expensive, and can't talk to other drivers in a convoy.

M11m12

Thank you @TechnoWeenie They are old headsets. We are just looking to have a conversation while we drive so I don’t mind if it is public. This is more just to have my 4 year old and I can have fun while driving the humvee 49AC07C6-7002-4E0A-8597-57D453CEF0CF.jpeg

papakb

Go online and look for some used aviation intercom sets. Softcom and Sigtronics are a couple that come to mind. The advantages are they're simple and small, run on 24 volts, and accept the plugs on your DC headsets without modification. And they don't cost a fortune. I've used one in my HMMWV for years now.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not sure what your trying to do here??? Are you and son in the same vehicle or separate rigs? If in the same rig this can be easy. The radio thing is throwing me off.

Guessing here as no 4 year old is driving another car and would not sit still for not being in the HumV LOL...

Soo the Headsets have a short pig-tale cable and you need to get an extension it to get to the other side of the rig or back seat.

If I didn't completely mess up your needs... This is a simple build on the cheap. Not likely a 4 year old needs pricey milspec "bale out connectors" and all fancy stuff to talk to Dad. You did say " It’s more for fun so I don’t want to spend to much money" Oxymoron...HumV and money???? So lets get to it.

You will need a simple small audio amplifier, build or buy cheap ($10 on epay ready to go) 9 volt battery, on off switch with volume control, LED and a small experimenters plastic box to stuff it all into. Miscellaneous grommets, small screws / nuts, shrink sleeve tubing, etc. Total on the cheap $25 clams. Basic hand tools... and the desire to DIY.

This is an perfect weekend project for learning and building with your son. Money saved will buy lots of burgers and ice cream cones.

Send model number and picture of headset and we / I can see what you got.

If I missed the mark on this 🎯 ... then ME BAD. CAMO

Last edited:

donquijote

Go online and look for some used aviation intercom sets. Softcom and Sigtronics are a couple that come to mind. The advantages are they're simple and small, run on 24 volts, and accept the plugs on your DC headsets without modification. And they don't cost a fortune. I've used one in my HMMWV for years now.
+1. This is the cheapest, easiest, and best solution... Fleabay a used aviation intercom box. It's pretty close to plug and play for your headsets.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not sure what your trying to do here??? Are you and son in the same vehicle or separate rigs? If in the same rig this can be easy. The radio thing is throw me off.

Guessing here as no 4 year old is driving another car and would not sit still for not being in the HumV LOL...

Soo the Headsets have a short pig-tale cable and you need to get an extension it to get to the other side of the rig or back seat.

If I didn't completely mess up your needs... This is a simple build on the cheap. Not likely a 4 year old needs pricey milspec "bale out connectors" and all fancy stuff to talk to Dad. You did say " It’s more for fun so I don’t want to spend to much money" Oxymoron...HumV and money???? So lets get to it.

You will need a simple small audio amplifier, build or buy cheap ($10 on epay ready to go) 9 volt battery, on off switch with volume control, LED and a small experimenters plastic box to stuff it all into. Miscellaneous grommets, small screws / nuts, shrink sleeve tubing, etc. Total on the cheap $25 clams. Basic hand tools... and the desire to DIY.

This is an perfect weekend project for learning and building with your son. Money saved will buy lots of burgers and ice cream cones.

Send model number and picture of headset and we / I can see what you got.

If I missed the mark on this 🎯 ... then ME BAD. CAMO
Just saw the model number number of your head sets. Common and cheap connectors "TRS" type adds a few bucks to the build. Papakb and others with off the shelf, plug and play might be the easiest at a few $$$$.

Money here is tight and Bob the builder is my hero, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like everyone above says aviation intercom, I use a TELEX TC200 that also has inputs/outputs for music and two way radios, it would however require re-wiring your single plug headsets, probably a model/brand available for the single plug sets .
Not sure how one would use a two way radio with VOX on an intercom setup, you need some way to separate the local conversation from the two way conversation.
BTW what I like about the "large" headsets is they are also noise reduction, a very good idea especially for those tender 4 year old ears..

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure you want to have a four year old with tinnitus. They will never wear the headgear and it will be off inside of two minutes.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are still undecided, I would recommend a used Sigtronics aviation intercom. Very small, operates off a 9 VDC battery or the 24 VDC in the vehicle and both headsets would plug directly in. I've used a Sigtronics intercom for over 23 years without any issues.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@glcaines I am going to google that now and try and buy one. Thank you for your help.
I have this on eBay would this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1337807345...MIioWv-Z2-8QIVCopaBR28YQccEAQYCyABEgKZePD_BwE
Unless it comes with headsets, that is VERY expensive compared to what I paid for a similar brand. I got the intercom and 3 headsets for what they're asking. It was all used, and I had to make a few small repairs, true, but for the occasional use and non-life-safety situation, it's fine for me.
Be patient and piece together a used amateur aviation intercom set, is my advice. Buy a 4 person, even if you only want two stations, cause it doesn't cost any more for 4 channels in the used market.
BDGR

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@glcaines I am going to google that now and try and buy one. Thank you for your help.
I have this on eBay would this work?
For used, that is on the high side. Since you aren't trying to tie it to a transmitter, all you need is the intercom function. There are less expensive Sigtronics intercom options on Ebay. But yes, that would work.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that one is set up for the two plug headsets as it has separate headphone and mike plugs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks