• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

200 amp Alternator problem

DLJIII

I am not an expert by any means but, I upgraded from a 60 to 200 dual alt and I dont hear anything.
Then again, I am not a mechanic. As long as you are getting a charge and its not grinding or sparking, I think you are good.

someoldmoose

Only noise I hear is the engine running. Use a mechanic's stethoscope and touch the front and rear of the case where nothing is spinning or can electrocute you. If you hear grinding it is probably bearing related. If the armature were hitting anything inside you would know. ( Badda boom ! )

Stein12501

Not sure but on mine I installed the 200 amp alternator and it had a weird noise that I thought was a bearing going out and started getting louder. After tearing into it I found that the nut holding the belt pulley on the shaft was loose. I tightened it and have not heard the noise or any problems. Might be worth checking.

erasedhammer

Not sure but on mine I installed the 200 amp alternator and it had a weird noise that I thought was a bearing going out and started getting louder. After tearing into it I found that the nut holding the belt pulley on the shaft was loose. I tightened it and have not heard the noise or any problems. Might be worth checking.
Sounds good to check. When I put the nut on it wasn't a locking nut. I glance it every now and again to make sure it isn''t coming all the way off.
I could never find a good way to clamp the pulley to torque the nut down.

kc5mzd

I don't know about the 200 amp alternator but that does sound like a alternator bearing. I would try spraying penetrating oil on the bearings while it is running starting with the one that is easiest to get to. Do not use wd40! If there is no change in sound or it gets worse instantly I would try spraying the belts with belt dressing with the engine running. I would expect one or the other to have an effect. If its the bearing I would probably replace the belts when I repair the alternator bearings. Also if you remove the belts and spin the alternator pulley by hand you may be able to tell if the bearings feel rough at all.

Stein12501

I used a drift pin through the rear alt. fan guard and it was enough to allow to tighten the nut. I think I purchased a locking nut that worked at Menards. My pulley didn't feel loose but when I removed the belts I could get a little play in the shaft. Just a thought.

erasedhammer

I don't know about the 200 amp alternator but that does sound like a alternator bearing. I would try spraying penetrating oil on the bearings while it is running starting with the one that is easiest to get to. Do not use wd40! If there is no change in sound or it gets worse instantly I would try spraying the belts with belt dressing with the engine running. I would expect one or the other to have an effect. If its the bearing I would probably replace the belts when I repair the alternator bearings. Also if you remove the belts and spin the alternator pulley by hand you may be able to tell if the bearings feel rough at all.

Belts are brand new on mine

kc5mzd

Guess I would try tightening the pulley bolt? They sell "belt conditioner" in most auto parts stores for about 5.00 a can. I would get a can and spray the belts when the engine is running. It will make it so if the noise has anything to do with slipping belts you will know right away. If that doesn't help then lastly I would try penetrating oil around the bearings. Just be careful and use non flammable oil! wd40 will dry the bearings out and could cause them to start making noise in the future.
Another thing would be to fully charge both batteries and see if it makes a difference.

someoldmoose

kc5mzd;2022036They sell "belt conditioner" in most auto parts stores for about 5.00 a can. I would get a can and spray the belts when the engine is running.[/QUOTE said:
D O. . . N O T ! ! ! use any kind of conditioner, dressing, crouton, or vinaegrette on any accessory belt, EVER. If you suspect the belts, apply a few drops of WATER while the vehicle is running. If the belts are the cause, the noise will change. If the noise remains the same it is not the belts. Again, NOTHING ON THE BELTS FROM AN AEROSOL CAN, EVER ! :papabear:

Last edited:

Wire Fox

For the record, I used an electric impact wrench to spin on my lock nut because I got impatient. If you have patience a tools, a padded vice clamped onto the pulley is the proper way. If you have patience and not the right tools, you can try put a couple of sturdy tools through the fan guard to prevent the impeller fan from turning, which will hold the shaft. Do that last one very carefully, as you can easily bend your fan guard or crack an impeller fin.

I second using no lubricant, conditioner, or any special treatment on the belts, too. These things always either add a layer of something you don't want between your belts and the pulleys, or the cause something to leech out of your belts to produce a tackiness to promote friction at the cost of belt life/stability.

mechanicjim

another option for holding the belt if you have old belts around is to wrap them around pulley and lock them tight with vise grips or make a strap wrench out of them and hold pulley that way.
also don't spray oil into bearing areas they are sealed and there are other parts that keep dust and debris out of them that the oil wont get to them.

kc5mzd

The belt conditioner contains an acid that "softens" the belt. I was suggesting it to avoid the long discussion of pulley width depth and depth of v on the belt and the color or intended use of the belt and so on.....
I was thinking if belt dressing fixes it then he needs to get new belts and make sure they are the proper ones for the application. Surplus belts are not always a good idea because they can get dried out in storage and start slipping after a short period of use.
Often you can just hold the belts while turning the pulley nut to keep the pulley from spinning.
Oil on the bearings is to verify that the bearings are bad not a way of repairing them.
Sorry if I confused people here...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks