• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 mile road trip in an FMTV

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does this model need to have the front and rear axle driveshafts? I'd consider taking them out on a 5 ton or deuce.
You would have to engage the inter axle differential lock, which puts the truck in "mode" (off road driving).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Option if center pumpkin is crapping out: limp to Many, Louisiana to MTP drivetrain and leave the truck there for repairs. Get a rental car at nearby Ft Polk. Drive to Houston, fly home then come back when repaired.
I can put it on my trailer and get it wherever if need me. Have a source for new complete axles near by.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slowing down is good, but even more important is that you don't want to hang out at speeds where there is a large resonant vibration. So even speeding up through a vibration zone is better than staying in one that is at a lower speed.

MrsRecce01

Can someone please post the link to the insurance "sticky" that snowtrac mentioned on page 4? I searched and didn't find it. I tried AAA and Progressive, no luck.

Last edited:

coachgeo

someone with an MTV do some driving and check temps for him to compare with.

I hope Im right.. but would think that axle would be bit hotter compared to other two anyway. More going on there with the power divider box.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
someone with an MTV do some driving and check temps for him to compare with.

I hope Im right.. but would think that axle would be bit hotter compared to other two anyway. More going on there with the power divider box.
On a 5 ton truck like mine the most rear axle is always the hottest and even then its never more than 30 degrees. Loaded they are generally the same temp.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone please post the link to the insurance "sticky" that snowtrac mentioned on page 4? I searched and didn't find it. I tried AAA and Progressive, no luck.
Progressive Commercial insures my and snowtrac's FMTVs. Is this still up in the air? Really need to park the truck if uninsured.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Front tandem diff is 203 degrees when he pulled up with an ambient temp of 45.

MrsRecce01

Progressive Commercial insures my and snowtrac's FMTVs. Is this still up in the air? Really need to park the truck if uninsured.
We are covered for the time being through our personal policy. Was just looking for something specific for the truck and I think I've now found it through Hagerty who insures classic cars and the like. Paid the 1 year premium upfront which cost me just $228 and that is for full coverage amazingly. Just need to send them pics of the truck but they said even if it takes a few days for the paperwork to go through, it is still covered as of today! :)

Last edited:

Recce01

We dropped the fluid from the center axle, looked clean (no real metal to speak of). We are going to replace the 2 rear most u joints and phase the u joints correctly. There is another strange issue....

With the rear most shaft removed and the vehicle in nuetral, the driveshaft behind the transfer case spins when you release the brake. It is as though it missing at least one axle shaft. Does this make any sense to anyone? The intermedited axle has tires on the ground. It is my thinking that the shaft between the transfer case and intermediate axle should not be able to spin freely. I am confused. To be fair, I have no idea what the inside of the intermediate axle looks like.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We dropped the fluid from the center axle, looked clean (no real metal to speak of). We are going to replace the 2 rear most u joints and phase the u joints correctly. There is another strange issue....

With the rear most shaft removed and the vehicle in nuetral, the driveshaft behind the transfer case spins when you release the brake. It is as though it missing at least one axle shaft. Does this make any sense to anyone? The intermedited axle has tires on the ground. It is my thinking that the shaft between the transfer case and intermediate axle should not be able to spin freely. I am confused. To be fair, I have no idea what the inside of the intermediate axle looks like.
Not strange at all, that is the interaxle differential, Wes is not familiar with those 'cause his old school 5 ton doesn't have one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How is the interlock controlled on the FMTV? Could they have been driving with it locked? Thinking out loud.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the mode button, but I haven't learned about it yet, I assumed it was for slow speed only...
You are correct. Mode actuates a solenoid which engages the interaxle differential lock.

OK, not clear on a few things, do you have up and down motion on your pinion exiting the rear of the center differential?
Were your U joints out of phase on the rear rear driveshaft?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you use the phrase "interaxle differential", are you talking about a gizmo between the two rear axles, or the differential inside the transmission/transfer case that locks when in MODE? Because when I'm thinking through what he's saying, the differential in the transmission shouldn't cause this. He said it was in neutral... both yokes out of the transfer case spin freely when the transmission is in neutral.

On a regular axle, such as the rear or front of my LMTV, not his intermediate 6x6 axle, you should not be able to spin the yoke (while the tires are on the ground, both axle shafts intact, etc.). It should not spin, regardless of shaft or transmission. So is there something special about the divider gizmo on the intermediate 6x6 axle that allows it to have a differential between the two rear axles?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks