• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2001 M1088A1 Burnt up!! My After Fire Repairs

Trailblazer0506

In 2018 I bought a 2001 M1088A1 in great shape with less than 3000 miles. Hauled it home myself from Indiana to North Dakota. My plan was to use it for pulling a couple trailers for hauling hay on our ranch and have it in some area parades with a float for combat vets, being one myself. Used it that fall and it worked better than expected. Spring of 2019 I had it stored in a building and nearby I had parked a 2014 Polaris Ranger XP 900 while I worked on removing a hydraulic valve for repair on a tractor. Once I had the valve off, I headed to town with it and returned 6 hours later to find my Ranger had self ignited, something electrical started it, and the fire had done it's damage to my M1088 (See pic 1).

Luckily the fire didn't completely demolish it and decided to repair vs replace it. I rebuilt a custom steel battery box for common size batteries and re-mounted the air tanks below it. Reworked the rims, new rubber o-rings, and new tires. Brake cans were opened up and repaired with new diaphragms and pushrod guides (should probably replace all 4 of those but I cannot find replacements of my size). Electrical system, minus ABS, is repaired but need the backup light yet and some marker lights on the cab. Air system has been the headache for me. I've got the lines from the chambers to valves figured out, both emergency and service sides. On a rear crossmember below the fifth wheel hitch ramps I've got the double check, inversion, anti-compound, and service valves to route (see pic 2). Then on the inside of the frame rail by the battery & air tanks I've got a tractor protection valve and a booster valve (pic 3).

On pics 2 & 3 I labeled the ports I need help routing. Can anyone can point me to where they go/come from?

Pics 4 & 5 show fire aftermath. The rest show repair progress over the last year or so.

Lastly I have a list of parts I'm looking for if anyone can point me towards where to get them or to find an equivalent replacement?

Attachments

B-Dog

First and foremost, I'm no expert so don't take this as gospel, ESPECIALLY with brakes. I'm on the fence making a post at all, afraid I'll be spreading false info.... To make matters worse, I've been working on an M1083A0 and some of my stuff is clearly laid out a little differently. I wholeheartedly sympathize with you on the brake system. I spent hours/days trying to trace the lines and map them out on the schematic from the TM. For a day job, I occasionally draw and design basic wiring schematics and for me, the pneumatic-schematic (rhymes) is so ******** convoluted, I threw in the towel and sketched my own. I'm planning to put my chicken scratch into cad and post it on here in the next week or 2, I just haven't had time yet.
I watched Rronmars videos on youtube a dozen+ times which helped a lot! Thanks!

I haven't looked for replacement chambers but I recently wrote this down for later: Haldex rear chambers sized 9/12 - size 9 inside (service) diaphragm and outside (emergency) size 12

Your red line is primary air that has gone through the relay and goes into one side of the 2-way check valve. Your inversion valve is a little different than mine and honestly, I'm not sure how they work inside. But I'm wondering if your red line needs to tee into the inversion valve on the bottom port facing forward, un-numbered, possibly un-connected? Maybe to #3? #1 is the other side of the 2-way check valve and should go to the secondary air tank.

#2 should go to the anti-compounding valve; #6

#5 - don't know - your inversion valve is different from mine.

#8,9,10. The picture isn't clear enough. All the ports on the relay valve should go to the service side of the chambers. The ports on the anti compounding valve should go to the emergency side of the chambers. There is a vent port on the chambers, furthest outboard, that connects the rear and intermediate axle brake chambers with a breather in the middle.

#11 - I don't know what that is but it goes into a tee on the inversion valve like mine. The tee is on the upper side of my inversion valve but the lower side of yours

#12 - is the supply for the booster
#13 - Sorry, mine is capped but based on the schematic could go to your protection valve (?)
#14 - is from the treadle valve but should connect to a 2-way check valve under the driver door which is also connected to the service gladhand

#15 - goes to the load sensing valve which should be tee'd at the load sensing valve continuing on to supply the relay, opposite your red line (output).

Assuming your protection valve is the same as mine but mounted backwards;
#16 should go to the service gladhand
#17 should to go the emergency gladhand
#18 - I show this going into the cab on the drivers side which is inaccessible to me at the moment but based on the schematic, I have to think that could be the supply from the park brake valve on the dash.
#19, 20, 21 - primary air tank, inversion valve (#4?), anti compounding valve (#7)

I'm happy to update this if anyone thinks I have something wrong and I apologize in advance for any false info.

Cheers,

Attachments

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I assume this recall was in effect but the Ranger was not running?
A lot of money and time gone but I am glad you didn't get hurt.

Last edited:

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need intake parts? I pulled my OEM and went DIY. They are just hanging around taking up space.

m715mike

Wow! That’s scary. I keep my Polaris RZRs in the shop next to my MV.

Sir, best of luck putting your truck back together! I’m glad the damage to your property wasn’t worse. And most importantly, I’m glad that no one was hurt.

dmetalmiki

Well done with the repair job.
I thought you might be 'competing' with me!, But you were not present at your fire.
Probably saved you from a heart attack though.

Here is what we have in our barn, In addition to fire extinguishers of the regular type.

TREAT your WorkShops And Equipment with,

THESE!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailblazer great job on the repairs! Like we all need more to do because of something like this! That a great looking 1088 although the polaris burnt pretty much everything that could burn. I am glad nobody got hurt and that your truck survived. In case you are interested we have a group in ND of military vehicle collectors, its a great source for parts and primarily knowledge of how to do things to our trucks that others have already done and if not lend a hand at least give hints on things that maybe the TMs overlook, PM me if you would like more info Trailblazer!
Karl

Trailblazer0506

I have all the air line routing figured out, with the exception of #11 and #5. Can someone help trace where they go as the 1088a1 I looked at didn't have one?
I believe #11 port is off another inversion valve of sorts, but I could be completely out of my mind...The lower port of it goes to the larger inversion valve Tee and is part of the same Tee as port #5 (shown by my poor excuse for a dotted line trace)!

Attachments

coachgeo

I have all the air line routing figured out, with the exception of #11 and #5. Can someone help trace where they go as the 1088a1 I looked at didn't have one?
I believe #11 port is off another inversion valve of sorts, but I could be completely out of my mind...The lower port of it goes to the larger inversion valve Tee and is part of the same Tee as port #5 (shown by my poor excuse for a dotted line trace)!
since this was posted Ron has done a map of the airlines... some video too. sorry not at a place to find the links for you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks