• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2004 M1083A1 Motor Oil in Coolant/ Lots

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a sketchy beginning for a question but I been called to analyze why a vehicle that has just returned from having a Head Gasket installed has oil in the cooling.
I don't know the history of this vehicle but I can say it hasn't been used much.
I don't know why the Head Gasket was replaced but recently.
My question at this point is on a Caterpillar 3126, where can motor oil enter the cooling system?

I went to the truck yesterday and could not start it because of lack of oil on the dipstick. There is not just a small amount of oil in the coolant reservoir but quite thick. I say that to say it is verified that there is a problem.

Thank you guys. I ask to not leave 1 stone or possibility unturned.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You sure it's oil and not fuel? Injectors have seals for oil, coolant, and fuel in the head. So could be injector cup seals. And yeah the head gasket also seals coolant and engine oil so I suppose it's possible that it could be a faulty head gasket installation.

I would pull the injectors and check the seals on them first.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You sure it's oil and not fuel? Injectors have seals for oil, coolant, and fuel in the head. So could be injector cup seals. And yeah the head gasket also seals coolant and engine oil so I suppose it's possible that it could be a faulty head gasket installation.

I would pull the injectors and check the seals on them first.
Well I got more information on this. Apparently it is an on going problem.
Oil Cooler was originally replaced first. Then there was still Motor Oil in the Coolant/
So the Head Gasket was replaced and the Head was allegedly milled. And they said that there might be some trace of oil still surfacing after the job. This is not a trace of Motor Oil. If I was drilling I would think I hit the Mother Lode. So much for editorializing.
No, it's not diesel. Thank you for the suggestion.
By the way, Dawn Dish Detergent is the best engine flush I have found.

Mrgior31513

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got more information on this. Apparently it is an on going problem.
Oil Cooler was originally replaced first. Then there was still Motor Oil in the Coolant/
So the Head Gasket was replaced and the Head was allegedly milled. And they said that there might be some trace of oil still surfacing after the job. This is not a trace of Motor Oil. If I was drilling I would think I hit the Mother Lode. So much for editorializing.
No, it's not diesel. Thank you for the suggestion.
By the way, Dawn Dish Detergent is the best engine flush I have found.
I don't always throw parts at a truck, but when I do it's because of Dos Equis. :ROFLMAO:.

Skyhawk13205

the spots I can think of where oil and coolant can mix is the engine oil cooler, head gasket, transmission heat exchanger… maybe air compressor. Past reports of mixing was usually from the transmission heat exchanger but it was usually coolant in the transmission.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, thinking something cooler related. But since it has been replaced… Or there is a crack in the block or head/head-gasket…
Well it seems that it is just the basic maladies then. I was hoping someone would point out the unique to this truck only oil connection. Going back over other mechanics work is really tedious but needs to be done. I guess the first place to start is refill the crankcase oil and drive it and see if it drops again or if I might get bubbles out of the coolant.
As always guys, thank you for the thoughts and if anything else arises I'm sure we would all benefit from hearing about it.
Happy Motoring!

Mrgior31513

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it seems that it is just the basic maladies then. I was hoping someone would point out the unique to this truck only oil connection. Going back over other mechanics work is really tedious but needs to be done. I guess the first place to start is refill the crankcase oil and drive it and see if it drops again or if I might get bubbles out of the coolant.
As always guys, thank you for the thoughts and if anything else arises I'm sure we would all benefit from hearing about it.
Happy Motoring!
I was thinking the same, going back over other mechanics work with fingers crossed. From what I can tell in researching it, the o-rings on the oil cooler, the oil cooler, and the head gasket are the main things that can leak oil into coolant on that motor, and next from there would be a cracked block or head. Hopefully it's a mechanic that skipped a step or made a mistake.

If you do another head gasket, I would get the head magnafluxed, may have been skipped when they resurfaced it before. I would also closely examine the top of the block, I've seen different inline engines get hairline cracks on the top of the block between the water passages and head bolt threads and leak oil into coolant from there.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking the same, going back over other mechanics work with fingers crossed. From what I can tell in researching it, the o-rings on the oil cooler, the oil cooler, and the head gasket are the main things that can leak oil into coolant on that motor, and next from there would be a cracked block or head. Hopefully it's a mechanic that skipped a step or made a mistake.

If you do another head gasket, I would get the head magnafluxed, may have been skipped when they resurfaced it before. I would also closely examine the top of the block, I've seen different inline engines get hairline cracks on the top of the block between the water passages and head bolt threads and leak oil into coolant from there.
Thank you. It was stated by the ones who have the truck that the head was magnifluxed. You really don't like to ignore the input but the question is was it? This truck is pristine with only 4000 miles on it. What can go wrong ??? LOL The bright Cat paint isn't even burnt off. Like I say first place is to fill with oil and run. Then pull the Oil Cooler and check that with a pressure test on the cooler.
I'll throw this out there, is there a kit designed for such that one could remove the Oil Filter and pressurize the Oil Passage to see if you can here it bubble some where. I know there are Oil Passages that would pass all sorts of air but questions are free so it is out there. A Magic Wand is another tool that I am desiring .

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well is it black Sootey carboned oil? you still running motor oil in the transmission?
The oil isn't even on the stick and the Transmission has all its oil. No I haven't started it because I don't know if they want to pursue warranty work from the previous people who did the work or what. If I touch it they might attempt to use that as an excuse. Been there, done that, Not fun.

Mrgior31513

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. It was stated by the ones who have the truck that the head was magnifluxed. You really don't like to ignore the input but the question is was it?
When I'm going after someone else's automotive work I've always learned to NOT trust the competence and capabilities of people I do not know, as well as to NOT trust that things were done that someone said were done. I got into auto mechanics from the latter, decades ago. I've also had buddies that ran shops and seen the returned work from 'trainees'. Could have been fully competent and honest professionals, but is it worth the faith in strangers?

As for the pressurizing the oil passage: you could put an npt adapter for an air compressor on the port where the oil pressure switch is, but like you said, there are many exits for the oil/air to go. Air would have even less resistance than oil, but it should still build up some kind of back pressure. They are usually 1/8 npt, not a ton of flow, but 1/8 npt to 1/4 or 3/8 npt with a ball valve would be pretty simple to set up. Might be able to locate different avenues, I'm unfamiliar with that block.

Ronmar

what I was getting at, was the trans uses motor oil typically and the coolant and trans oil are in close proximity in the trans cooler. but the trans oil should be clean/clear whereas the engine oil is probably carrying black carbon... besides from a block or head crack or head gasket, those two coolers are the only two places I can see oil coming into close proximity with the coolant...

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what I was getting at, was the trans uses motor oil typically and the coolant and trans oil are in close proximity in the trans cooler. but the trans oil should be clean/clear whereas the engine oil is probably carrying black carbon... besides from a block or head crack or head gasket, those two coolers are the only two places I can see oil coming into close proximity with the coolant...
I knew what you were thinking and the froth in the water is that of fresh oil but then it was serviced in February, moved 30 miles away and then sat. So I would have fresh oil either way. I figure the best thing to do since its a mess anyway is fill the crankcase (I figure the Motor Oil is down a Gallon and a half anyway and the coolant reflects it) and drive it and see what is happening. What could go wrong with that plan? LOL
While you are on the subject of transmission, I have been changing them to DexronVI to smooth the shift. Have you heard of any troubles with that?

Ronmar

I knew what you were thinking and the froth in the water is that of fresh oil but then it was serviced in February, moved 30 miles away and then sat. So I would have fresh oil either way. I figure the best thing to do since its a mess anyway is fill the crankcase (I figure the Motor Oil is down a Gallon and a half anyway and the coolant reflects it) and drive it and see what is happening. What could go wrong with that plan? LOL
While you are on the subject of transmission, I have been changing them to DexronVI to smooth the shift. Have you heard of any troubles with that?
No problems I have heard of. that or some more weight/transmission load will help with harsh shifting...