• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2009 Lmtv M1078A1 Charging System

bikeracer917

I'm still working on it. Been busy. Haven't had alot of time to mess with it. I do know that it i not stuck in gear. I just got 4 new batteries and ordered a frame solenoid. Should find something out first of the week. I appreciate all the input.

Tater6

Sorry didn't see the question. yes was wire j1587 in the c.t.i.s harness right at the 90 elbow connection. Basically the wire was getting 24v and should be max of 7v I think. With a meter tested at plug showed 24v then when I moved it a little it would drop to 7v moved it back and go back to 24v. Took about 2 hrs to replace the harness kind of a pain small and tight places.

coachgeo

Sorry didn't see the question. yes was wire j1587 in the c.t.i.s harness right at the 90 elbow connection. Basically the wire was getting 24v and should be max of 7v I think. With a meter tested at plug showed 24v then when I moved it a little it would drop to 7v moved it back and go back to 24v. Took about 2 hrs to replace the harness kind of a pain small and tight places.
sounds like it was a short from a 24v wire to the 7v wire. Possibly in the plug end where you were testing?

Consider keeping the bad harness and dissecting it. Repair it to us as a spare.

Lmtv772

Banned
sounds like it was a short from a 24v wire to the 7v wire. Possibly in the plug end where you were testing?

Consider keeping the bad harness and dissecting it. Repair it to us as a spare.
Guy ,Chill it with giving people advise. Especially don't give advise to people who OWN an LMTV.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guy ,Chill it with giving people advise. Especially don't give advise to people who OWN an LMTV.
I'm not quite sure how to interpret this post. Best I can figure is that 1) LMTV owners know everything about an LMTV or, 2) You can't possibly know anything about an LMTV if you don't own one.

Since there are so many questions on them, I don't think #1 is right and since almost all of the folks with formal education on maintaining them do not own one, #2 doesn't seem plausible either.

Let's not forget that the main objective of the site is the brotherhood of helping other members.

Last edited:

MaintChief6

its been a while; but your advice on the CTIS just ended a 2 week search for the issue on this bastard truck. at least it has all fresh grounds, new batteries, alt., power distribution box, 24v & oil gauges..... thanks tater!

alleuro

Do you know what kind of draw (amps) these trucks have for the ECU's and other load when they sit? I just got a M1078A1 and the batteries drain hard if not kept on a charger. It appears to charge when it is running after I jump it with a slave off of my generator

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
What year truck? Newer A1 trucks have battery cutoff relays and some other components that the earlier trucks dont. Shouldnt be any draw with the truck off on any of the trucks. How old are your batteries? What type of batteries?

alleuro

Truck is 2001 but it was sent back to Stewart Stevens in 09 and brought up to A1 specs? Or so I'm told. 13,000 miles crapped out AGMs I'm trying to charge. After a couple of hours running it would start on batteries let it sit and it drains down. So no ecu draw if I put an amp meter in series with the ground cable

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A battery cell level tester, apparently left over from early years?

The pointy end of the black probe is inserted into each cell and if it touches the electrolyte, the tester lights up. If it does not touch, no light, so more electrolyte was the be added. Someone had a 'better idea' than pulling the batteries out to check electrolyte?

BUT, the normal 6T batteries used now are maintenance free so no need to add electrolyte. First thing I did was get rid of it.

darwinmontana

hello everyone, I am new to the site. I have a M1078A1 that's has a electrical issue. the flashing lights on the alternator, goes from green, then to amber, then off. when that happens the " no charge " light comes on the dash. I recently took the batteries off of the charging station, because it said they were charged. is there anyway I can resolve this issue?

TacticalTruck

I see it's been a year but have you tried to unhook the c.t.i.s harness from the box. I have noticed that once it is unhooked the oil and 24v gauges will start working and the gen /alternator will also start flashing. The harness I belive might be bad. 3 or 4 trucks I have worked on in the last year all have been the same issue. Basically all the control modules should only get about 5 to 7 DC volts. When u see no 24 and no oil the harness is sending 24v to the control modules and the shut down to protect them selfs.
I came across this old thread. I just got a M1088A1 with these symptoms and unhooking the CTIS worked! So I guess I might have a bad CTIS harness.

Dave21

New to forum just a quick question if anyone else has seen this problem. No Charge light on in Dash. Replaced Batteries and Alternator new charging at 14.4 volts and 28.2 volts at alternator. And green lights flashing on alternator but no charge light remains on. Thanks for the help
Just saw your post. I have a 2007 A1 that the no charge light just came on. I’m wondering how you resolved your problem and if so share that with me. Checking the voltage on the two leads going to the regulator I have 24 V on the AC terminal and 0 V on the exciter terminal the one closest to the pulley. I jumper 24 V to the exciter terminal and disconnected the wire to the AC terminal alternator putting out correct voltage. Reconnected the wire to the AC terminal Alternator Stop pudding out power. Changed out the polarity protection box no help. Appreciate any pointers she could give. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks