• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

200amp alternator not charging

joshuaS

Hello,

My rig is a 2006 M1165. It has a 200amp alt. The other day it quit on me. RPM gauge doesn't work and the voltage gauge is in the yellow. I have gone through the Niemoff trouble shooting procedure and with the engine off my ohm reading is 2.5. That reading indicates that the alternator is bad.

My specific question has to do with the free spinning of the alternator. With the engine off I can spin the the nut on the front of the alternator and it will spin freely. When the truck is running, the alternator spins but, with just a little bit of pressure on the back of the unit where the fan is, I can stop the alternator from spinning. Is this normal?

Thank you,

Josh

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the overrunning clutch on the front of the alternator (pulley) is bad, you should be able to turn it one direction but not the other with motor off.
Unfortunately that is a relatively high dollar item..

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What reading are you seeing 2.5 ohms and what does the guide call for?

joshuaS

What reading are you seeing 2.5 ohms and what does the guide call for?
The guide states, with key off, engine off check resistance across field coil. Connect red lead of DMM to socket A in alternator-to-regulator harness plug. Connect black lead to B+ terminal on alternator, Does meter show 1.8 to 2.2 ohms? If the answer is no then the arrow points to "alternator is defective."

It does seem that my pully clutch is not working.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part of your ohm reading may be the wires and meter itself. 2.5 ohms is close enough to the 1.8-2.2 that I would personally not be all that concerned about it, unless I was using a stupid expensive meter that was truly accurate at those levels.

One thing you can do is connect your meter leads together and see what it reads. On one of my fluke meters it's usually 0.5-0.7 ohms resistance with just the meter leads, on a cheaper meter I see about 0.9-1 ohm resistance.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guide states, with key off, engine off check resistance across field coil. Connect red lead of DMM to socket A in alternator-to-regulator harness plug. Connect black lead to B+ terminal on alternator, Does meter show 1.8 to 2.2 ohms? If the answer is no then the arrow points to "alternator is defective."

It does seem that my pully clutch is not working.
As Coug said, probably meter error, not far enough off to worry..

joshuaS

if the pulley is free wheeling in both direction, yes…the first course of action it to replace the pulley assy and TS from there.
So, the clutch pulley is bad. I pulled it off and in doing so it re-engaged. I replaced everything and now everything works.

I will have to get another clutch pulley soon, as I’m sure it will fail again. I very happy I asked questions and that I didn‘t drop $1600 or more on a new generator and regulator.

Thank you all for the help and this wealth of information the site provides.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks