• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 Olympics

Stan Leschert

We had planned on having the 24V system ready for the Olympic torch Run. The plan was to be about 4 blocks ahead of the RCMP and the great flame. We were going to hijack the thread and get the crowd going. Unfortunately, the parts were ready 2 days late. So here are some pics of the festivities without us. Following will be pics of the M-135 all decked out and running. This weekend, we WILL be taking the truck downtown, and doing our best to exhasut the air resovior by means of that great horn. I will post the pics of the party when I get them!

1) Waiting for the Flame! (torch)
2) Here it comes!
3) 5000 people crammed into 2 blocks!
4) Tell me that this girl isn't proud!

MV in the next post!

Attachments

m109guy

I don't know what it is, but an M135 driving down the road is still an awesome sight.

Truck looks great. Good work.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, very nice[thumbzup]. I have always thought that the M135 is the best of the M35 and the CCKW rolled into one. I like the elegant curved slope of the hood and the unusual cab roof lines.

Drive proud my good man.

Stan Leschert

Well, this one was just a stupid mistake on my part. I was worried about overhead clearance from my flag poles, so I did not go downtown because we have overhead electrified wires for our trolley busses and I could not find the height of the wires. No problem, we just drove around on the North Shore. Just to be sure, I got out my trusty Stanley measuring tape (the same one that I use on job sites daily) and got a reading of 16 Feet from the top of the flag, to to contact point of the rubber. Cool, I'm good to go! 2 overpasses went fine. As I went under them I was thinking, 16 Ft.... What is that in Metric (yeah, we are stuck with that crap up here and our signs don't speak in Feet). the 3rd overpass said in very loud TWANG terms that I was 2" (or 5 CM) too tall. Luckily, the EMT that I use for flag poles is free and my tired flags are about to be renewed by our Legion.

But when I heard the twang, All that I could think was "Oh crap, I just snapped a bow, ....and who got hit with my flag.
No real damage done, but my 1" EMT flag pole is now shaped in an "S" formation! All 3 poles will be replaced tomorrow, but they will be not quite as tall!

Attachments

Stan Leschert

Here we go. To every athelete and every spectator, thanks for visiting my little town. No beers were harmed in the decoration of the truck... they were just emptied. I will also post a link to a U-tube of our little town, if you don't know it. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xMz2SnSWS4&feature=player_embedded[/media] truck back and front pics, my cheerleading section, who were louder than the air horn, when we did a victory lap of Main Street, and a shot of the flag poles. DO NOT measure height clearance in feet, when the overpasses are marked in Metric. No harm done, but I sure felt dumb!

BTW... Team USA owes me 2 packs of smokes. You gave us a game to remember, but in lieu of ripping out my beard.... John Players Special please.

It has just been so fun having you all as guests. Please come back....Just not all at once!

BTW, Leo, who owns the truck was stationed in the back to keep the cheering section in check. He got a ton of photos of people taking photos of us! If you want I'll post a couple of them. North Vancouver LOVES the Big Green Army truck!

Attachments

Last edited: