• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2010 Virginia Graves Mtn. rally - Labor Day weekend

JR

JR, if you are going up Thursday, we can convoy from Richmond. PM me and we can work it out. Try to get Kevin to drive up, he missed Aberdeen this year and needs to put some miles on that new truck.
I am going up on Friday, ill see you up there. Ill be convoying with the big bad blazer!

CGarbee

I will be at the rally on Thursday before lunch...

We have the t-shirt design up on the website in case anyone wants to see what it looks like. It features a M37 up on the ridge...

Go to http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com/ and click on the t-shirt tab on the left side of the homepage...

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weeks.

kaiser715

Registration (finally) went out in today's mail.

We are driving up from central NC, should be arriving sometime after lunchtime on Thursday.

Cabell, what's the best route up there from this area?? Looks like there really isn't a straight shot.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
k715
If you can get up early you can convoy with us. we are meeting Cabell in Danville Va Thurs. morning. I`m in Reidsville N.C. just N. of Greensboro. Adam (Ferro) is coming to my house on Wed. night. You might want to do that . I`ve got room and air Matreses.

CGarbee

Registration (finally) went out in today's mail.

We are driving up from central NC, should be arriving sometime after lunchtime on Thursday.

Cabell, what's the best route up there from this area?? Looks like there really isn't a straight shot.
It kinda depends... :)
I usually run from Raleigh to Syria on NC50, then up US15 to VA231, then on VA670... US15 is two lane almost all the way, but it is a very pretty drive and I have never had any issues with traffic. It is about four hours for me.

I have tried running from Raliegh up either I85 or US64/I95 to to Richmond, then over on I64 to Zion Crossroads where I get on US15 to VA231 to VA670. It's a mindless ride that takes quite a bit longer in a MV, but is the same timewise in a civilian vehicle. Bob Kendrick used this route last year when he took his M37 up on the trailer behind his F250 and liked it.

As Neil mentions, I will be meeting Ferro, his wife, and Neil, at the intersection of Goodyear Blvd and US58 (Danville Bypass) in Danville on Thursday morning (at 0800). We will then convoy up US29 to Madison where we will hit VA231. Riding from Raleigh to Danville involves going west on I40 to Hillsboro, then up NC86 to Danville. It's the route I take when I go to see Mom (in Lynchburg). It adds about an hour to my travel time when I go to Graves, but it is a pretty ride and is four lane for almost the entire trip. VDOT does change the speedlimit on US29 often, so if you are in anything that can boogie up the road, pay attention to the signs...

Let me know if you want to convoy from Raleigh up with me...

kaiser715

I'm in an F250, with the 5.4 gasser....pulling a 3k trailer with a 715 on it. I certainly won't "boogie" up there. :D

We won't get away from Sanford until at least 8am. I have to make sure I'm not gonna get any early-morning panic calls from a client before heading out. Neil, thanks for the kind offer, but will have to pass on the room and board.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isnt' that a M37 fuel tank? The wife needs it! She really needs it before the rally, as she want's to drive the m37 on the trails. I have to go to Cabell's house ~40miles from you on Sunday. Think we could swing by and get it? She would really appriciate it!

Last edited:

kaiser715

I have heard that it is the same, or almost the same tank. I've been "told" that it is sought after as a replacement tank for an M37, and worth some bucks....but I haven't found anybody to give money for it, much less take it for free. It's yours if you want it.

I'll be around Sunday. I'm about 1/4 mile off of US-1 in Sanford, I'll PM you my address and cell #.

I'm looking for a vented deuce/M37 gas cap if anybody has one to spare.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the ones last year did not have visible comms. Cell phones do not work in the area unless you are on the top of the mountain. FRS is probably the most widely obtainable/usable on the trails.

CGarbee

Mike is correct about the lack of cell phone coverage. I have a PRC77 in both the truck and the jeep. I'll have the 2-way (Motorolla) for use in calling the Lodge office, and will have the CB in hand as well.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps that's why I found a cellphone in the weeds tossed out by another offroader last year. Couldn't get coverage, so, time to throw the cellphone out the door!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neil is mostly correct. ;-) Angie couldn't get the whole day off Thursday, so we will either have to leave thursday at 1pm or 5pm, depending on if they let her have a half day or make her work a full day on Thursday.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost there, guys! One week to go. Plan on catching up with Cabell and seeing if there are any last minute things to do on the farm to get ready for the event. I plan on dropping down there Thursday only to set up the signs, but will be there all days Friday and Saturday. Sunday I have to pull out, I have an appointment to get some welding done on the -37 with a friend.

IF YOU HAVEN'T REGISTERED, please go to the main website for the rally and sign up!

CJ9/Granny

If nothing unforeseen pops up, we will be heading up on Thursday morning. If any last minute chores need to be done, make us aware of them and we will do our best to help out. We are definitely looking forward to this! :)