• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Findlay Show...After Action Report!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got back to work a few hours ago from the 2011 Findlay show. What a blast!!!!!

They had a ton of cool vehicles, re-enactors, vendors and ton's of good deals on parts and all kind of stuff. I know this thread is worthless without pics, but I was having too much fun to take pics. Of course Gimp and Westy and DH kept me up waaaayyyy to late and made me drink waaaayyy to much beer. We had some SS bowling going on at about 1:00 a.m. thanks to Buff and his bowling pins and some kind of huge spanner nut socket he had for sale :cookoo:.

All in all, I had a great time, I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in as they start rolling back home. This was just a little kick-start for Haspin...now I can't wait for the rally!

gunboy1656

Too many jeeps for my taste. The R/C tanks were pretty cool. Met a few members finally, could not stick around to meet everyone.

Got a few parts I needed forgot to go back and find out about a couple other things I wanted to get, Oh well. Returned a part of David Kelone and got a part in return. Thanks Dave, was not sure you got my message.

Here are some of the mandatory pics......

Attachments

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Any more details on the NIKE missle? (just imagine the conversation if that showed up in the front yard, hehe)

Ziggy

Mike_L

I had a good run at Findlay too. Found a few M37 parts for a lot less than I expected to pay in near NOS condition. About the only thing I didn't find was a loose latch hinge pin for my pintle.

There were a lot a 1/4 tons there this year, more than I remember in previous years. Mostly M151s at that.

The RC tank was pretty cool. The SS guys had a lot of parts though not much for my truck. Still, a lot of fun to look through it all. Thanks for bringing it all.

Actually found metal GP small tent poles for $5 apiece. They all need a pin replaced but I think I can swing that at $5 a pole.

Another great show!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a blast also! It was good to see everyone again. Got some great deals but spent way too much money......most of it at Doc's booth! My truck had more in it coming back than I left home with!
Findlay had everthing the SS gang was looking for......mud, Gimpy, and a crane truck. No, he didn't flip anything, but there was potential!

Attachments

hdexpert

Lets see, Findlay as I remember it: excessive drinking, a peanut fight, 1 AM bowling, 50 new sig lines, laughing till I cried and spending time with a great group of people.....good times.

Monkeyboyarmy

I don't know who's idea it was to bring the tactical quiet, forced induction refrigeration unit for keeping those perishable military parts cool but that is pure brilliance![thumbzup]

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know who's idea it was to bring the tactical quiet, forced induction refrigeration unit for keeping those perishable military parts cool but that is pure brilliance![thumbzup]

No kidding! Those guys are down to earth clever! They could have painted it green and someone would have bought it!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Anyone heard how Westy is doing? Last I heard, his clutch was slipping again, but he was pressing on. Who is along the way, he might need help. Just got back myself.

hdmax

First timer, guess you could call me a virgin! (But not any more.) It was great meeting some of the best people in the world up there.
I spent more money then anyone, I think, but got some great stuff free as well.
It was a great pleasure meeting John, Julie, Eric, Amy, Buff, Chris, Rich, Michelle, Jeff, (Two Jeff's, with one getting my money for years to come.) Tom, Mike, & Dennis to name a few! I apologize to the ones I am forgetting, but remembered many more then I figured that I would, and apologize for any miss spelling of names. (After all, I am from Ohio!)
And as always a pleasure knowing Kip. One of the best guys you could ever know.

Hope everyone makes/made it home safely. Rich and his better half will be taking longer then most, hope they have an uneventful trip home.
Great weather overall
My son Michael is already talking about next year, and of course excited about Haspin.
Look forward to see you all again, and meeting new folk.
Thanks for welcoming my son and I in, you all are truly a great group of people.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a blast also! It was good to see everyone again. Got some great deals but spent way too much money......most of it at Doc's booth! My truck had more in it coming back than I left home with!
Findlay had everthing the SS gang was looking for......mud, Gimpy, and a crane truck. No, he didn't flip anything, but there was potential!
Great pics....but how did you get Kip or Lane to pose in that funny hat in the back of the CUCV???????? You got some cool pics of Chris and Lane unloading my light kits from Lane's CUCV into Stretches trailer too.

hdmax, it was great meeting you as well. You and your son will have an absolute BLAST at Haspin if you thought Findlay was fun.

And I gotta send a big Thanks out to Kip for feeding me and giving me shelter during the show, and for hauling my heavier than all get-out lights home from the show too...Just some of the many reasons I call him my friend!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the quotes I can think of during the drunken peanut fight...

Doghead...Ah, the dreaded 1 - 10 split

Kip...Stop, I'm gonna pee myself

Buff to Julie...When you've got 2 nuts in your mouth, it'll make you choke

Westy...screw those Germans, they think they's so hot after they bombed Pearl Harbor in 1973
Me...what the?
Gimp...shut up man, he's on a roll!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was nice seeing the gang again. My only aggravation (other than Kip) was Michelle trying to teach me how to braid paracord. I actually got one done today. My biggest surprise was someone came up behind me and started blowing on my neck Friday night. I thought it was Gimpy but it turns out it was Holly (wife).

I got a surprise going home Sat afternoon. Going down I75 I was passed by a Freightliner semi fully loaded with straw pumping diesel all over my Dodge. I called the LEOs to try and get him stopped. It was like a medium rain shower going past him on his left. It would be one heck of a sight to see if someone set fire to that diesel soaked straw going down the road.

It was a good event and I really likes Doc's 915 two and half ton truck. Auto, Deuce bed and 75Mph, what's not to like.

Did anyone get a pic of Amy wearing her camo harness?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
...AND!!!!!!!!!

It was Julie's B-day Friday. I'm sure she would love for me to tell everyone here on the site how old she is, but I'll pass. (I hope John tells her I posted her age.)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was that last pic in group 1, the bazooka rocket bracket? Never seen that before, is that a custom item that the owner made for his display, or is it a rarity that we've never heard of?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks