• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 LST 325 River Tour

54reo

The LST 325 will be stopping in Chester Illinois September 16-18, 2011. We (the town) are planning to have a Historical Military Vehicle display and WWII Living Camp coincide with the ships' visit.

I have been thinking this would be a good opportunity for some of the SS members to bring our vehicles and get to know one another. If anyone would be interested in making this event, please let me know. I will have more details as things progress.

This is a great chance to see a piece of history that is still operated in all her glory! We have been aboard the ship many times, and it is always an emotional experience.

Attachments

gunboy1656

It was up here in Pittsburgh,PA I went to see it a couple times, if you have not seen it GO.

There are a couple posts from it's trip, and stay up here, just do a search.

54reo

Low tide is correct.

How about it Midwest SS members?? Any interest in a late season get-together?

54reo

To begin:

I have been working a lot lately, so my updates are long in between.

Yes there will be a place to camp and stay as long as you want. In fact, there are several reenactors and hobbyists camping out.

If anyone would like more info, please see the website http://www.lst325chesteril.org.

Brian

54reo

Good deal Stan!

We are going to have a great turn-out; getting a bunch of feedback from people.

There will be quite a bit of HMV and WWII stuff on display.

Hope to see some of the SS family there!

Brian

54reo

The LST 325 is coming in today, and I am officially off work through Sunday!!

Most of the SEMO MVPA guys will be coming in today too.

Hope to see some of the SS family there!

NEIOWA

Have tried thei LST325 website and google but find nothing about her/their route or schedule in the next couple weeks. Apparently going back to Evansdale IN home.

Anyone have info?

54reo

Well I know that it has been a few weeks since the LST 325 was here in Chester and I had hoped to get an update sooner than now, but better late than never I guess.

We had a really good turn-out from the WWII reenactor groups around here. Members of the 82nd, 101st and 2nd Rangers were present and they came with a bunch of gear!

The SEMO chapter of the MVPA (my chapter) was there in force with a couple of them staying with me along the river since Thursday.

As far as the SS family, Stan came and as always was a HUGE help. He brought (and stayed) in his M818/trailer combo. Garry (lstmate) and his wife came all the way from Evansville IN to help support the Chester stop!

Attachments

Last edited:

54reo

We had over 7600 people visit the ship over the weekend with even more showing up to the riverfront to experience the Camp and the HMV display.

Over 1500 students came on Friday alone. The local Catholic Grade School brought posters they had made depicting the history of the LST 325 and all LST's.

Attachments

54reo

If it had not been for the help and friendship of Gary (lstmate) and Tammy, the ship would have never stopped here. Garry was instrumental in my introduction to the Captain several years ago, which eventually lead to the LST 325 coming to Chester.

Attachments

54reo

The weather was great Friday and Saturday, with Saturday being the best day as far as the amount of vehicles and such. The coming rain sent some of the reenactors and vehicle owners home late Saturday evening.

Attachments

Last edited:

54reo

"General Patton" even showed up from Indiana!

Attachments

54reo

I was very pleased to see the number of people that showed up wearing their uniforms and even t-shirts from their respective branch of service. Veterans from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam were showing up with their families and sharing stories with children and grandchildren while looking at the vehicles and walking through the camp.

What the LST brings to the people is something that just has to be experienced.

Attachments

54reo

Well guys, it is 2018 and the LST 325 is coming back to Chester this fall on Sept 7-9.

I will be putting out more information next week on the specifics for this visit, but I would like to get the initial high level info out.

There are a lot of exciting stuff planned, and it will be a great event.

What it means to SS; there will be a parade hauling Veterans on Saturday through town and ending at the LST. There will be a re-enactment camp along the river that any and all SS members are welcomed to camp at as well. Toilet and shower facilities will be provided, along with breakfast and supper each of the three days supplied by us and prepared on the mkt.

More to come ...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks