• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Wa State Mini Rally #5

Stalwart

My 2cents , I've had an M211 and they are LOVELY trucks as long as the transmission is in good working order. There have been too many out there that have been owned by those that have filled them with 30 weight non-detergent motor oil. There are no anti-foaming additives in that kind of oil. From experience, it is a GRAVE mistake following that path! I had one with that oil in it from the prior owner, as soon I drove 25 miles and the oil got warm, 1st gear failed (I had owned it 18 hours). You CANNOT get it moving in forward without 1st gear, you are stranded unless you can coast it up to speed where 2nd gear will engage. It is a hydraulic transmission and foam doesn't apply clutches or bands, causing slippage and failure. Another problem resides the typical source of the rebuilt transmissions. I bought one from the big supplier and it lasted 70 miles, even with Dextron and compatible seals/friction materials. Their answer, send it back at my expense and they will see what they'd do for me. No thanks, find a local QUALITY transmission builder!!!!!!!!!!! aua I GAVE mine away to a Korean War Veterans group, they got an NOS transmission and use it for parades.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing happening in the Tri-Cities on the M45 yet.
I sent my contact info to ' little red' in an email.
Trying to convince him to stick it out on the M45, because who wouldn't want to be a member of such an honorable group of regular Joes.

Even offered to meet his asking price if he wanted to regroup and come at a purchase with a better plan.
Only time will tell......

Stalwart

First things first, THANK YOU for all your prayers and kind wishes! Jane is doing much better so she only feels I like I ran her over with the HEMTT once. Yesterday and the day before it was more like I took a couple of hot laps at her expense.

Second, it looks like I could haul the M45 back to Western WA if needed on the 15th, possibly the 16th. The only thing that would prevent that would be Jane taking another bad turn which is becoming very less likely as the hours go by. Anyway, I'll donate the use of the F450 and trailer to the cause. I can comfortably seat 3 others that want to come along and/or help. It would be easier if the truck would at least start but not required. It only makes the loading process a bit faster but still not a big deal.

I'm not trying to preempt any other recovery efforts but having the truck on a trailer is probably both faster and safer. Here is an M35 and my old M656 taking a ride on the trailer.

Stuart

Attachments

Last edited:

Loco_Hosa

First things first, THANK YOU for all your prayers and kind wishes! Jane is doing much better so she only feels I like I ran her over with the HEMTT once. Yesterday and the day before it was more like I took a couple of hot laps at her expense.

Second, it looks like I could haul the M45 back to Western WA if needed on the 15th, possibly the 16th. The only thing that would pervent that would be Jane taking another bad turn which is becoming very less likely as the hours go by. Anyway, I'll donate the use of the F450 and trailer to the cause. I can comfortably seat 3 others that want to come along and/or help. It would be easier if the truck would at least start but not required. It only makes the loading process a bit faster but still not a big deal.

I'm not trying to preempt any other recovery efforts but having the truck on a trailer is probably both faster and safer. Here is an M35 and my old M656 taking a ride on the trailer.

Stuart
If my schedule allows I would love to ride along for that trip.

Stalwart

Thanks Firehound, I've missed a post or two I guess. I can't do the weekend of the 22nd, Jane will veto that for sure, its her birthday weekend. I'm willing to do it without the owner, just some SS member help, but I'll let the owner and others decide the actual plan. :lost: :D

I'm only offering what I can, I have no intension of taking over or stepping on toes. I don't have a Deuce or 5 ton to tow it with, and the fuel costs with the HEMTT would be 3 times that of my F450. :shock:

srodocker

Yea im pretty cool i think....

Stuart glad Jane is getting better!!!

i'll be on fort lewis tomorrow with Dan and ed recovering eds 4 m200's!!! hahaha wait that means i hjave to wake up in like 5hrs...oh boy..im not tired either.

REO 54

YEAH Jane!!Speedy recovery!

Also,I'll be checking on that 52' GMC in Friday Harbor.It actually has a manual transsmisson.I did'nt think M 211 were
made that late,but I dunno.Stalwart,you do right? Anyway I'll take some pic's.and post em'.

Stalwart

M211's were all automatics. With a properly installed manual, it would make it a FANTASTIC truck . . . for a gasser. It would never be powerful or fast but should be VERY dependable and a pleasure to drive. I just love the look of them, looks wise they are my favorite.

The CCKW was the WWII truck, the M211 started in 1952!

REO 54

M211's were all automatics. With a properly installed manual, it would make it a FANTASTIC truck . . . for a gasser. It would never be powerful or fast but should be VERY dependable and a pleasure to drive. I just love the look of them, looks wise they are my favorite.

The CCKW was the WWII truck, the M211 started in 1952!
Ok,so maybe I mis informed myself.The current owner said it was a manual shift for sure.I don't think he's clear on the date of manufacter,but I will know soon enough.

Thanks for the reply Stalwart,keep ya'll posted.

hwcurtice

Ok,so maybe I mis informed myself.The current owner said it was a manual shift for sure.I don't think he's clear on the date of manufacter,but I will know soon enough.

Thanks for the reply Stalwart,keep ya'll posted.
>REO 54, that snow blower in your avatar, that isn't from Brad's is it?

Stalwart

I bet that would be fun in a parking lot full of Prius and Chevy Volts! I remember that the older ones on the mountain passes here could be shut down just AFTER they had demolished a passenger compartment (and its occupants).