• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Wa State Mini Rally #5

goodguyzy

I was thinking of that, I did check it with a good push of the foot, seems to be OK. I have a bad one on another trailer that im going to replace so I will have the feel of a new one soon to compare with.

BadMastard

Hey WScougarx?

On the shim thing, there are a few methods of securing the hitch in the receiver, the best one I've seen is to have a threaded insert in the hitch, and actually tighten it to the receiver. Bike racks often have these, but I bet we could fab up on with some grade 8 bolts and welding in a sleeve. Just a thought.

Loco_Hosa

Yeah, a M1009 or M1008 would do great to tow that little trailer. I know I have towed a number of them behind my M1009.
They look goofy behind a deuce. Done that as well.
This is why I am going to put a Deuce bed on one of my new M200s. Cant have any goofy looking trailers now!

hwcurtice

Hey WScougarx?

On the shim thing, there are a few methods of securing the hitch in the receiver, the best one I've seen is to have a threaded insert in the hitch, and actually tighten it to the receiver. Bike racks often have these, but I bet we could fab up on with some grade 8 bolts and welding in a sleeve. Just a thought.
Let me know how that goes. I'll park my truck next to his to see how it works...

I think I know what you're talking about, but these hitch plates are solid, while the things I think you're talking about, the hitch is hollow. It fits inside the hitch and tightens to the receiver.

If I had MAD fab skills....

cleb

Stalwart: It has the red stuff in it, so sounds like a rebuild. I never had any issues with it, besides it not wanting to shift if I didn't let it warm up enough on a cold day. Probably put 200 miles on the truck. Also, it had high range reverse locked out with a plate. I believe I read high range reverse is failure prone if abused (big load, in reverse, up hills). Its not a bad truck, but it does need some TLC. The current owner and I would both love to see it go to someone who cares about MV's. He's already had a couple scrappers try and buy it, and promptly told them to move along.

BadMastard

Harold, you're a genius! Wanna know why?

Your solid hitch thing is perfect! But rather than use the hitch pin as the tightener, drill a 1/2" hold behind the hitch pin hold and then thread that. I'd think from the side is easiest to lock down the receiver. You could go from the bottom too. Pin it, tighten it, and your free play should be mostly gone.

Downside? I wonder if that freeplay is there for a reason. meh, I'd do it anyway if I had something that used a 2" receiver!

hwcurtice

Harold, you're a genius! Wanna know why?

Your solid hitch thing is perfect! But rather than use the hitch pin as the tightener, drill a 1/2" hold behind the hitch pin hold and then thread that. I'd think from the side is easiest to lock down the receiver. You could go from the bottom too. Pin it, tighten it, and your free play should be mostly gone.

Downside? I wonder if that freeplay is there for a reason. meh, I'd do it anyway if I had something that used a 2" receiver!
Most of the free play is 'up and down'. I may have to make a trip to a trailer shop, if I can find one local, and find out why it's like that, to see if there is a reason for it.

Also, to see if they can drill that hole.

On another note, the Dakota may be gone soon. A stealership may have made me an offer I can't back out of. Only down side is, I'll really have to start looking for a CUCV (M1008 or m1028 ) to tow my trailer... Um, is that really a down side?

Or go to the Tri-cities and help someone release a certain m45 from hock....

We'll see....

Last edited:

kurtkds

What I did to remove the up and down slop on one of my receiver hitches was drill a hole large enough for a half inch bolt, then welded a nut to the receiver tube and put a bolt with jamb nut on it so I could remove slop or lock down as necessary. Plus I don't think just drilling and taping the receiver tube would give you enough threads to keep the hold from stripping out.

hwcurtice

What I did to remove the up and down slop on one of my receiver hitches was drill a hole large enough for a half inch bolt, then welded a nut to the receiver tube and put a bolt with jamb nut on it so I could remove slop or lock down as necessary. Plus I don't think just drilling and taping the receiver tube would give you enough threads to keep the hold from stripping out.
Got pictures?

If the stealership things falls through, is this something you could do for some wayward SS members? Such as WScougarx and myself?

Yeah, I'm not that mad fab able.

BadMastard

Actually, the thought is not to drill the receiver tube, but to drill the shank of the hitch. removing the slop is by tightening the bolt to the side of the receiver, which draws the slop out. At least, that's the way it looks in my brain.

Stalwart

Stalwart: It has the red stuff in it, so sounds like a rebuild. I never had any issues with it, besides it not wanting to shift if I didn't let it warm up enough on a cold day. Probably put 200 miles on the truck. Also, it had high range reverse locked out with a plate. I believe I read high range reverse is failure prone if abused (big load, in reverse, up hills). Its not a bad truck, but it does need some TLC. The current owner and I would both love to see it go to someone who cares about MV's. He's already had a couple scrappers try and buy it, and promptly told them to move along.
I REALLY don't want to be misunderstood here. I initially LOVED my M211, even when it first failed me after 18 hours. I even went to to effort to purchase a 5.9 Cummins and 4 speed auto with 30,000 miles for it. I decided to give it a second chance and try a rebuilt transmission. Although it wasn't exactly hard to R&R the trans. it wasn't super easy either, since I work alone. I've been blessed with a wife that allows me to purchase tools to make my projects easier.

I have heard of others who have had problems with Memphis rebuilds, I only cite myself and another person who I know personally. Perhaps it was just a problem with the rebuild shop during the early 2000's. I have no idea . . .

Cleb, I have heard good things about the manual control of the transmission, I've even heard that they even hold up under moderate to severe duty as experenced by individuals using them in small logging operations. You are completely correct about the reverse issue, reverse "high" should never be used (I suppose flat ground/downhill and no load MIGHT be OK).

I only suggest caution with the transmission, it is the weak link of the ENTIRE truck. 2cents Still my favorite Deuce but I'm insane, hence the Stalwarts. rofl

hwcurtice

"I only suggest caution with the transmission, it is the weak link of the ENTIRE truck. 2cents Still my favorite Deuce but I'm insane, hence the Stalwarts."

I didn't think it was limited to just the Stalwarts.... I thought it was anything that might have Green applied to it...

rofl

hwcurtice

Actually, the thought is not to drill the receiver tube, but to drill the shank of the hitch. removing the slop is by tightening the bolt to the side of the receiver, which draws the slop out. At least, that's the way it looks in my brain.
hmmmm..... Drilling another hole through that 2" of steel... That should prove interesting...

I think that would happen either way, right?

I think pictures of how kurtkds did his might help here....

BadMastard

What, you're going to let 2" of solid steel stop you?

hmm. it stops everything else. Maybe you have something there?

I'm thinking you could drill press it for the shank. The really hard part is tapping the 2" of steel for threads. Though technically you could drill 1/2 of it slightly larger and only thread half the distance. Should be WAY more thread than you need. Or conversely, drill only halfway through and thread that.

As far as weakening it, I believe my three way hitch has two holes in it spaced 1 1/2" apart, and it's rated to 9K. Options, Options. I might have to go do that to see how it works. Then take pictures for everyone!

hwcurtice

What, you're going to let 2" of solid steel stop you?

hmm. it stops everything else. Maybe you have something there?

I'm thinking you could drill press it for the shank. The really hard part is tapping the 2" of steel for threads. Though technically you could drill 1/2 of it slightly larger and only thread half the distance. Should be WAY more thread than you need. Or conversely, drill only halfway through and thread that.

As far as weakening it, I believe my three way hitch has two holes in it spaced 1 1/2" apart, and it's rated to 9K. Options, Options. I might have to go do that to see how it works. Then take pictures for everyone!
Either way, that's above my fab skills.

We'll see how the weekend transpires....

hwcurtice

So, Status update. I still have the Dakota. The Stealership thing was a scam straight from Dodge. Wankers...

So, tomorrow I drop it back off at the transmission shop to see if they can get the darn thing fixed before the warranty expires....

So, this thread needs a status update on the following items:

M45 recovery/rescue in the Tri-Cities?

Truck in Friday Harbor? Whats going on with that? If anything...

About the hitch set up? I can't do anything about mine until I get my truck out of the shop, so I'm hoping someone else has shown what they did to reduce the slop in their hitch set up. Or is making a fab party in order to fix the slop. I still want to hit a trailer shop up, of if someone has time, to find out why this hitch set up is so loose in the receiver. Is there really a reason?

Loco_Hosa

So, Status update. I still have the Dakota. The Stealership thing was a scam straight from Dodge. Wankers...

So, tomorrow I drop it back off at the transmission shop to see if they can get the darn thing fixed before the warranty expires....

So, this thread needs a status update on the following items:

M45 recovery/rescue in the Tri-Cities?

Truck in Friday Harbor? Whats going on with that? If anything...

About the hitch set up? I can't do anything about mine until I get my truck out of the shop, so I'm hoping someone else has shown what they did to reduce the slop in their hitch set up. Or is making a fab party in order to fix the slop. I still want to hit a trailer shop up, of if someone has time, to find out why this hitch set up is so loose in the receiver. Is there really a reason?
I can bring beer and....

Well Ill bring beer to the fab party.

I believe the M45 got sold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks