• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 M1097A2 starter

New Level

Just purchased and the starter, at least I hope it’s the starter and not the fly wheel, is bad.
Best place to purchase and does anyone know the part number by chance.
Looked at install online and it looks like a PITA to replace.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum!
Describe what issues you are having.
The number I have is 2920-01-507-7423

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is the starter you would likely be better off having a starter shop rebuild it.
You need to pull the flywheel cover and see what is going on.
Also numbers 2920-01-168-7891 and MFY-6701UT come up, as far as I know all HMMWV starters are interchangeable

Reactions: OBX

New Level

If it is the starter you would likely be better off having a starter shop rebuild it.
You need to pull the flywheel cover and see what is going on.
Also numbers 2920-01-168-7891 and MFY-6701UT come up, as far as I know all HMMWV starters are interchangeable
Thank you very much for your help!

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter engages but just a loud whining noise. Sounds like all the teeth are missing or gone.
Removing the small cover at the nose of the starter I think will provide all the bad news you seek. Starter spins but doesn't engage, starter comes out. Missing teeth on the flywheel, flywheel comes out. Flex plate actually, before someone corrects me.

New Level

Removing the small cover at the nose of the starter I think will provide all the bad news you seek. Starter spins but doesn't engage, starter comes out. Missing teeth on the flywheel, flywheel comes out. Flex plate actually, before someone corrects me.
Won’t be back with the vehicle until next weekend. That info helped a lot. I’ll look at that first.

papakb

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully all your going to need is a new Bendix gear. Still a PITA to change but infinitely less than a complete starter or a flywheel. $25 vs a couple hundred.

New Level

Replies on this forum have been very helpful.

Thanks for the welcome!
Sent a buddy to go move the Humvee to a better spot in my yard…..he figured he would try and start it. It started first try and he repeated it four times and it started immediately without any hesitation all five times.
thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks