• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 SoCal Fall Desert Rally

Met1

I'm gonna need a little help from my SOCAL Dirtbag Dez homies. I'm nursing a blown disc in my back and waiting on word for surgery. Anyways, I'm bringing my kid's little 50cc ATV so in case walking around all day Saturday (we are planning for a 0700 arrival and a late return) makes things painful I figured I could putt around as needed. Kinda like a Dirtbag Hoverround chair.

We can get it loaded and unloaded fine at my AOR, I'm hoping a couple of you guys can assist my crew lifting it out and back in when we are up there.

LMK if you can help a beat down 45 year old vet out. :) LOL.

See you guys Saturday.
I'm pretty sure at this point you should stay away from intercepting any flaming donuts! :mrgreen:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure at this point you should stay away from intercepting any flaming donuts! :mrgreen:
I won't be there that late into the campfire. And I don't think my kid's ATV is up to the task.

My body is probably messed up from the abuse from previous intercepts.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please take a look at the list below. Let me know if I placed you in the wrong spot or if I completely failed to put your name down. I just want to get a list started. :driver:

Who said yes they'd be there:

Cycletek
Bad_Carp
Fast Nova
Lextreme ---Truck issues---
Bad Karma
Gripy
M1009 Fiend
998 Junkie
duffman1993
Gottlos

Those who plan to stop by:

Dug
Will Wagner
Hole

Not sure:

Torisco
Cat3306
Met1
Barneyszoo

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys... I took 3 days off work and wife approved and now truck wont run. I am dying to be there...... Radiator shot.....
Doesn't mean you can't go, just means your truck may not make it. I'm dealing with electrical issues with the 12V system in the M109 and a brake fluid leak so there is a chance I may be showing up in my POV again, but that's still better than sitting home!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please take a look at the list below. Let me know if I placed you in the wrong spot or if I completely failed to put your name down. I just want to get a list started. :driver:

Who said yes they'd be there:

Cycletek
Bad_Carp
Fast Nova
Lextreme ---Truck issues---
Bad Karma
Gripy
M1009 Fiend
998 Junkie
duffman1993
Gottlos

Those who plan to stop by:

Dug
Will Wagner
Hole

Not sure:

Torisco
Cat3306
Met1
Barneyszoo
Glad to see Duffman is gonna make it. He can lift that ATV out and toss it back in solo if I let him drive the deuce again.

Lextreme

Doesn't mean you can't go, just means your truck may not make it. I'm dealing with electrical issues with the 12V system in the M109 and a brake fluid leak so there is a chance I may be showing up in my POV again, but that's still better than sitting home!
I am trying. I have been doing alot of research on the web. Looks like 1964 Ford Mustang Radiator will work. All I need is to get an adaptor radiator hose from 1.5" to 2" and 1.75" to 2". Trying to get a local ebay seller allow me to pick it up. If I can get it tomorrow or Wednesday and do all the fabrication and get it running properly than u will see me.

The radiator is about low $100 and with shroud along with 14" electrical fan is about high $200. Alot better in price wise than the oem.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pony car radiator in a deuce? I'll show up just to see that!

:driver:

M1009 Fiend

I am trying. I have been doing alot of research on the web. Looks like 1964 Ford Mustang Radiator will work. All I need is to get an adaptor radiator hose from 1.5" to 2" and 1.75" to 2". Trying to get a local ebay seller allow me to pick it up. If I can get it tomorrow or Wednesday and do all the fabrication and get it running properly than u will see me.

The radiator is about low $100 and with shroud along with 14" electrical fan is about high $200. Alot better in price wise than the oem.
I have a 14-16" fan i installed on my m1009 for about a week before I upgraded to bigger 4core radiator, that i had recored from 2 to 2 3/4" wide. Let me know if you need it.

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

This is the stuff I want to see! ...Ingenuity, dude if you can make this happen with a mustang radiator you are the man. Give me a call if you need any help.

Lextreme

One thing nice about this setup is that I can get the shroud and 14" with 3 core aluminum electrical fan in less than 280 bucks. Save some HP and space with electric fan. Yes it will be all aluminum 3 core...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/39043884221...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

For the amount of HP my M109 generating it should be more than enough cooling. Both the inlet and outlet on the passenger side. Just need to make some brackets and adaptor hoses....

Last edited:

Cycletek

The fan I have has an outside diameter of 17.5" may be kinda big for your application. I checked it against a 67 mustang at the car shop next door......:driver:

Blendmaster2002

Lextreme, Call walker he should have what you need, he has lots of military truck parts new and used.
Walker Auto & Truck Wrecking
(760) 244-8060
17054 Darwin Ave, Hesperia, CA 92345.

Also I would go to the Desert Rally, but right now my Military trucks are non oped. I would love to have shown up with the m36a2 and the mkt90, plus I have to be somewhere on the 13th so have fun guys! :-D

offroadrunner

Lextreme,
That mustang radiator might not be able to keep up with the heat-demands of the multi. That core-size is only about half the size of the stock radiator (IIRC - stock is almost 24" square vs. 16" square for that Ebay radiator). Adding more rows (I think stock is only two-row) to the core adds some cooling capacity (but it diminishes with each row - as the same air has been heated by the rows in front). Cooling is affected by several factors: the total frontal area (of the core), the difference between the coolant temp and the inlet air, the rate of airflow, and the material (aluminum is slightly less efficient than copper-brass) and size of the tubes in the core - (that's why they usually use bigger tubes in aluminum radiators) . With half (actually 4/9ths) the core frontal area you're going to have to move more than twice the volume of air with that electric fan (not easy to do, and do you have a 12V system that can keep up with the amp-draw that kind of fan-motor will need?). Sorry to throw cold-water (pun intended? - ouch) on your plan, but if you try it - keep an eye on your temp-gauge (especially when you try to go up the Cajon-pass).

On another note - I'm planning on showing up Saturday morning, and staying 'til Sunday - so add me to the list of attendees.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Lextreme

Lextreme,
That mustang radiator might not be able to keep up with the heat-demands of the multi. That core-size is only about half the size of the stock radiator (IIRC - stock is almost 24" square vs. 16" square for that Ebay radiator). Adding more rows (I think stock is only two-row) to the core adds some cooling capacity (but it diminishes with each row - as the same air has been heated by the rows in front). Cooling is affected by several factors: the total frontal area (of the core), the difference between the coolant temp and the inlet air, the rate of airflow, and the material (aluminum is slightly less efficient than copper-brass) and size of the tubes in the core - (that's why they usually use bigger tubes in aluminum radiators) . With half (actually 4/9ths) the core frontal area you're going to have to move more than twice the volume of air with that electric fan (not easy to do, and do you have a 12V system that can keep up with the amp-draw that kind of fan-motor will need?). Sorry to throw cold-water (pun intended? - ouch) on your plan, but if you try it - keep an eye on your temp-gauge (especially when you try to go up the Cajon-pass).

On another note - I'm planning on showing up Saturday morning, and staying 'til Sunday - so add me to the list of attendees.

Cheers,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have 12V system. I actually have two batteries with a Chevy 350 alternator. As for the radiator, I can understand the surface area. However, this 3 core radiator is rated at 450 hp, so I am sure my underpower Deuce would be ok. I got tired of ebay seller not responding to me about local pick up. Went to California Mustang and picked up a Champion 3 row satin aluminum radiator. Cost little more than ebay but at least I can touch it and smell it before buying. I will have some brackets made tonight and hunt for some hoses tomorrow. Hopefully will see u guys in few days...

Lextreme, Call walker he should have what you need, he has lots of military truck parts new and used.
Walker Auto & Truck Wrecking
(760) 244-8060
17054 Darwin Ave, Hesperia, CA 92345.

Also I would go to the Desert Rally, but right now my Military trucks are non oped. I would love to have shown up with the m36a2 and the mkt90, plus I have to be somewhere on the 13th so have fun guys! :-D
I just call Walker and they said they dont have any instock....

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Horsepower and heat do not always go hand in hand.

Diesels can make a LOT more heat than a gas engine. My job in the Navy was heavy equipment and the diesels always had massive radiators. One thing to consider is the amount of cooling liquid it needs to cool. It doesn't matter the deuce is a low HP engine, it still runs around 180-190 degrees, same as most gas engines. Except it has much more coolant to cool than a pony car.

If I were a betting man, I would say you have a 50/50 shot at it working out on a cool day with no load and no hills.

On a warm, hot day it will leave you alongside the road.

Last edited:

Lextreme

Horsepower and heat do not always go hand in hand.

Diesels can make a LOT more heat than a gas engine. My job in the Navy was heavy equipment and the diesels always had massive radiators. One thing to consider is the amount of cooling liquid it needs to cool. It doesn't matter the deuce is a low HP engine, it still runs around 180-190 degrees, same as most gas engines. Except it has much more coolant to cool than a pony car.

If I were a betting man, I would say you have a 50/50 shot at it working out on a cool day with no load and no hills.

On a warm, hot day it will leave you alongside the road.
Man that doesnt sound encouraging..... :(

quickfarms

The radiator on my 6 and 10 kw generators are the same size as the radiator that is in a Toyota truck. Fluid capacity also plays a big part in diesel radiators. The radiator in my diesel is huge compared to the gas version.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks