• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2012 Wis Motor Vehicle Registration Rights Act

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Yea you would think so .. the dollar issue you really need to emphasize is the fact that it won't cost WIDOT any $ to implement the changes .. we are after all, only a very very small slice of the registered vehicles in the state. You can believe that Paul, Tom and supporters have pitched all the right arguments on this one!
Ahemmm...(PB clears throat) so Mark...when are ya moving back to Georgia?:roll:

Ya know ya wanna!:popcorn:

Attachments

Tanner

WIDOT understands the Federal Regs .. It’s just a matter of accepting those regards our vehicles WI Safety law is actually fair regards what is needed on a vehicle as long as it is FMVSS compliant .. That’s the rub .. Vehicles produced before 1968 (That's right the Federal Gvt has stated that those vehicles get a pass!!!) don't have that sticker and are a safety concern according to WIDOT.. especially if they were painted OD Green!

So legislation was passed to address those MV’s and now have a separate Class of MV’s in WI .. But the restrictions are the issue. You cannot register that vehicle as a daily driver even if it meets current safety standards (Exception is 4 types of MV vehicles).

If I want to drive my M37 or my Willies or the M818 into town to buy a loaf of bread or to go for a Sunday Afternoon drive on the WI Rustic Road System.. I'm violating the current law because my vehicle is not being used for a parade event, or driving to a historical event, etc. etc etc. If I try to register my M37 as a regular old Dodge pick-up, it’s denied because it’s an MV .. I even have to send Pics in to show what the vehicle looks like to get it registered .. That's what we are fighting here.

I probably have done a big hand little map job of summarization... but I think I'm pretty close to describing the issues as I understand them
I'd have to say that the WisDOT folks evidently DON'T understand the Federal regs... obviously ANYTHING built before '68 - civvy or MV - is non-compliant?

1943ht

PB .. Man you know where I am at with that issue .. there in a heartbeat ..not my call brother :jumpin:

Tanner .. All vehicles built before 1968 are EXEMPT from having "The Sticker" on the door and qualifying for registration as a safe daily driver .. WI has a different interpretation on what that means for MV's .. that's the issue!

Next week should see it up for vote.

Tanner

Tanner .. All vehicles built before 1968 are EXEMPT from having "The Sticker" on the door and qualifying for registration as a safe daily driver .. WI has a different interpretation on what that means for MV's .. that's the issue!

Next week should see it up for vote.
Appreciate the update, but I'm an older 'car dude' & fully aware of the FMVSS door sticker, and fully aware of the exemption years.... and also an old car enthusiast, punishment glutton, etc. I even know the history of the FMVSS standards, dates they went into effect, etc. But it makes for boring neighborhood party conversations... :lol:

However - I'm sure that you Wisconsinites might eventually eat this elephant known as WisDOT.

1943ht

Can't speak to M35 series vehicles .. but many newer military vehicles have that sticker .. WIDOT is concerned about "all those HUMMERS coming back from Iraq" also included are newer (1968 or later) imported MV vehicles from other countries that have to earn a sticker from the importer thru the US Government in order to be brought in .. as stated, its a little complicated.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Can't speak to M35 series vehicles .. but many newer military vehicles have that sticker .. WIDOT is concerned about "all those HUMMERS coming back from Iraq" also included are newer (1968 or later) imported MV vehicles from other countries that have to earn a sticker from the importer thru the US Government in order to be brought in .. as stated, its a little complicated.
Trust me folks...what ever the issues are...the right man is on the job.

Give em h**l Mark!!

Attachments

1943ht

PB you make me LOL!

DEZARMS .. does'nt matter if it will have a sticker or not under current WIDOT Rules .. you will only be able to license it as a MV with all of the restrictions of that classification .. not as a collector vehicle as it will not meet the age requirement and even if it did, since its a MV you cannot license it as a daily driver only as a MV ... Thus the issue we are having with WIDOT and are trying to correct.

Paul and Tom have had their work cut out for themselves since they started this fight back in 09 .. that's why they need our support ..

If you live in WI contact your state legislature!!!

1943ht

Try these links for that info

Your Support is important as this bill is before the legislature this week!!

2. Contact your both of your Wisconsin State Legislators and tell them to support Senate Bill 462. If you don't know who they are please follow this link: Who Are My Legislators?

undysworld

Contact the Assembly Speaker, Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald. Urge him to pull this bill from committee, and get it to a floor vote, even without a hearing. (They've done this before with other bills.)

Rep.Fitzgerald@legis.wisconsin.gov
(608) 266-2540

If Rep. Fitzgerald fails to act, the bill will likely fail. Every Wis. owner must contact him.

This bill won't allow scary, dangerous military vehicles on the road. It only restores things to the way they were until 2 years ago, when DOT messed it up.

This bill makes former military vehicles subject to the same requirements and restrictions as civilian vehicles, just like before, and like every other U.S. state.

trukhead

SB-462 / AB-580

Are the correct numbers to put in the subject line , correct?

How is this for a letter?

Rep Fitzgerald,

Please pull this bill (SB-462 / AB-580) out of committee and bring it to the floor for a vote before this week before the session is adjourned.

Thankyou,

your name, address and phone number here

:lol:

trukhead

Contact the Assembly Speaker, Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald. Urge him to pull this bill from committee, and get it to a floor vote, even without a hearing. (They've done this before with other bills.)

(608) 266-2540

If Rep. Fitzgerald fails to act, the bill will likely fail. Every Wis. owner must contact him.

This bill won't allow scary, dangerous military vehicles on the road. It only restores things to the way they were until 2 years ago, when DOT messed it up.

This bill makes former military vehicles subject to the same requirements and restrictions as civilian vehicles, just like before, and like every other U.S. state.

Use the Rep Fitzgerald gold link posted above to send an email and phone number to call him as well.

SB-462 / AB-580

Are the correct numbers to put in the subject line , correct?

How is this for a letter?

Rep Fitzgerald,

Please pull this bill (SB-462 / AB-580) out of committee and bring it to the floor for a vote before this week before the session is adjourned.

Thankyou,

your name, address and phone number here

I reposted this cause I wanted to add the contact link and I am going to tell all my friends to come to this page and then use the link to email and call Rep Fitzgerald.

:grin:

trukhead

I just emailed the email to Rep Fitzgerald and just got off the phone with his office aide and asked:

Please pull SB-462 / AB-580 out of committee and bring it to a vote before the llegislative session ends.

I gave my name and asked if there was any other information they needed and they said no.

and I thanked him and that was it. easy peasy!:whistle:lets all try and get 10 people to call or email!:lol:

undysworld

UPDATE:
Yesterday, the Bill was passed by the Senate Transportation Committee by a vote of 5-0, a unanimous vote!
Moments ago, the Bill just passed the full Senate with unanimous votes - 33-0!

This is great news, but we're not done yet.

DOT continually opposed the bill, and we were forced to make compromises at the request of various legislators. Multiple concessions were made, and we were ultimately left scrambling for even baby steps. Now that DOT has agreed to just one item, Assembly Republicans are blocking the bill by refusing to vote on it.

This is NOT the bill we wanted, but it is a step in the right direction, and it DOES help the most effected owners possible. (see details below) Assuming we are able to pass this bill, we can/will work next session to address the next item on the list.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Contact these three guys. Cut and Paste the following message to them:

cut & paste:

I STRONGLY SUPPORT SB-462/AB-580. It is a small, non-controversial bill which was passed unanimously by the Senate. It is supported by Rep. Petrowski and DOT-approved. I want you to do whatever it takes to secure a vote in the Assembly on this bill before the session ends this week.

Assy. Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald
(608) 266-2540

Assy. Representative Scott Suder
(608) 267-0280
Rep.Suder@legis.wisconsin.gov

Assy. Asst. Majority Leader Dan Knodl
(608) 266-3796
Rep.Knodl@legis.wisconsin.gov

Details on the amendments.
Amendment 1 was in response to DOT's concerns, as expressed in a meeting w/ Sen. Grothman.
Amendment 2 was reached with DOT, after the Public Hearing. Essentially, it deletes the inspection clause, and the change to Collector requirements. The bill now repeals just one of the statutes which direct DOT to refuse registration, 341.10(6m). Again, it's only one small step, but it is a change in the right direction.

This bill will now effect Former Military Vehicles only. Please support this change for a small segment of our hobby, even if it isn't your own segment. We need to stay united to achieve the changes we want.

Due to opposition within various vehicle groups, we were forced to give up the other more controversial parts of the bill. We are disappointed, because we still believe the bill was good as written. But it faced too much opposition for passage. We will limit the scope of future legislative efforts, based on what we learned here.

1943ht

Paul, Tom called me Friday and said the bill was moving out of committee for a vote .. obviously that happened .. how did we come out? Can you put together a simple synopsis here on the thread to explain what we have now l after the vote?

//R//
Colonel Koloc

Dezarms

Sb-462/ab-580

Thanks for all the info you guys gave me on this issue , I did my share , made calls, emails, etc. thanks again, DEZARMS.

undysworld

Hi Mark,

I'm very happy to share this.

Monday, our bill was voted out of committee 5-0.

Yesterday, it passed the full Senate vote by 33-0.

So far, it's been passed by unanimous votes!

It's not over yet, so keep up your contacts with your Legislators, and especially the three Assembly leaders listed above.

Thanks to Everybody who has helped out with this effort!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks