• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2015 TX MV Rally

Madmedic

Would you all mind if I pass this event info on to my son who lives in Leander? He is MV-less at the moment, but I know he and my two grandsons would love the event.

Thanks,
Matt
Why would we mind? The best way to get new MV'er's is to have them come to this event. They will also enjoy the living history battle, and seeing the Re-Enactors who have set up different camps. Especially Patton's Command Group & Field HQ.

anjay22

Fellas, we will have a functioning mkt trailer at the gi museum. Are there any ideas of what to have for lunch and what not when everyone gets there? It will be a greatt meet and greet for all of us after the caravan because not everyone is camping. Thoughts?

Madmedic

Fellas, we will have a functioning mkt trailer at the gi museum. Are there any ideas of what to have for lunch and what not when everyone gets there? It will be a greatt meet and greet for all of us after the caravan because not everyone is camping. Thoughts?
Based on previous experience working disaster sites with various kitchens I would suggest the following: Green Salad, Green Beans, Corn, or Vegatable Medley, Ravioli, Chili, Chili-Mac, or other selections which can be purchased from SAM's, Costco, Sysco, in the large #10 cans, and heated quickly. In the case of the salad, large bowls & containers with ice can keep the lettuce chilled and crisp prior to eating.

Keep in mind that the Military Field Kitchens were primarily intended to reheat/Cook T-Rations, or other large volumes of pre-cooked, easily heated meals.

ALSO, DON'T FORGET THE CLEAN UP SUPPLIES: Trash Bags, Trash Cans, etc. AND clean up supplies for the kitchen area itself.

Madmedic

Oh and I almost forgot. BREAD. Garlic Bread always works, but you can also go with plain sliced bread, and just lay out the loves in the package with the tops sliced open.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I'm now firm to attend with one truck or another. Any interest in a convoy for the LA contingent? Like Tim, I'm flexible with time.

Jeepsinker

I have to head over to NDT's place first and drop off a trailer first, then convoy up there with him. Not sure what day I'm going, or if you want to go that far out of the way but you are welcome to tag along if you want.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have made plans on going a day early going via pickup truck to j whring south of Houston. I'll come to the rally late Friday or early Saturday

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey JS and Tim, I'm using deodorant now - that infamous B.O. problem :oops: is a thing of the past. I've cleaned the horse manure off my boots and also changed my diet to reduce fiber. I'll take the downwind drag position if you want. You don't need to make up excuses.

Alright, I'll travel solo, but you can't avoid me all weekend.

Last edited:

m715mike

Hey Guys, I'm using deodorant now - that infamous B.O. problem :oops: is a thing of the past. I've cleaned the horse manure off my boots and also changed my diet to reduce fiber. I'll take the downwind drag position if you want. You don't need to make up excuses.

Alright, I'll travel solo, but you can't avoid me all weekend.

Sir, if your route takes you through Montgomery, Texas on Highway 105, I would gladly fall in-line and convoy with you for the last hour of your journey. Of course, since I won't be able to smell you coming from a mile away we will have to devise another type of early notification system to alert me when you are near Montgomery.

:beer:

Barrman

Does the museum know about the MKT and that it will be operational? They might make you by a vendor space. I mention that because Mullins is very picky about everything that happens that weekend. He told me to remove my M715 one year because it wasn't WWII. Another year he didn't like the XZL tires on it. Now he seems resigned to us and puts us behind the museum building so the "true" people don't have to look at the non WWII stuff. They also put on a great meal for all inside the museum last year. I would hate for you to show up expecting to feed and sell food to 30 yet get 2 takers. That is my point.

AGENGR and his wife stopped by my house last weekend. Their M715 won't make the rally, but they and their jeep TJ will.

Sermis has been told but I don't know if he can make or what combination of vehicles he will bring.

Boxcar has also been told and his schedule is also trying to fit.

I will be driving the M715 pulling the Mini on the trailer. Arriving before dark Friday. Colton will be driving the Whistler either in convoy with me or bringing his girlfriend when she gets done with a horse show later in the evening. We will be leaving early Sunday morning to go Autocross the Mini and scare the A&M sports car club people with the green iron.

machinist75

Does the museum know about the MKT and that it will be operational? They might make you by a vendor space. I mention that because Mullins is very picky about everything that happens that weekend. He told me to remove my M715 one year because it wasn't WWII. Another year he didn't like the XZL tires on it. Now he seems resigned to us and puts us behind the museum building so the "true" people don't have to look at the non WWII stuff. They also put on a great meal for all inside the museum last year. I would hate for you to show up expecting to feed and sell food to 30 yet get 2 takers. That is my point.

AGENGR and his wife stopped by my house last weekend. Their M715 won't make the rally, but they and their jeep TJ will.

Sermis has been told but I don't know if he can make or what combination of vehicles he will bring.

Boxcar has also been told and his schedule is also trying to fit.

I will be driving the M715 pulling the Mini on the trailer. Arriving before dark Friday. Colton will be driving the Whistler either in convoy with me or bringing his girlfriend when she gets done with a horse show later in the evening. We will be leaving early Sunday morning to go Autocross the Mini and scare the A&M sports car club people with the green iron.
Agreed. It's mullins baby and no one messes with it. We're lucky he lets the steel soldiers crowd hang out behind the building almost out of sight.

TAMU86

As mentioned earlier in the rally thread, I visited with Leisha Mullins in January about a more modern camp compound due to questions from kids and various adults about no representation of latter era's that they were more familiar with given their age and media influences that last four-to-five decades. She has set aside an area of 80' w x 65 ' d for our specified trailer and vehicles to setup an operation compound. She knows the MKT is operational but only as a demonstration to the public and feeding our SS members on Saturday. We will have a sign that states there are no public food sales.

We actually need some help either setting up the canopy's on Thursday and take-down on Sunday morning for anyone able to lend a helping hand. We have 2 solar shades and 3 camo sets (full) for covering the assets.

Here is sample of our camp layout at the moment:
Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 11.23.11 AM.jpg

Hope this is sets our acceptable involvement at the museum in the following years. Appreciate everyone's help that wants to contribute...

We don't have any sitting space in the middle of the "U" for people as we haven't thought of a period appropriate solution... we don't have sand bags or other...

See ya there...

TAMU86

BTW - Could use a loaner power cable for the MEP-701A to run the AAR Mobility Van. Will be running 208 ph3 for the shelter for any demonstrations we want to perform... or just turn all the switches on... :D. Can either be a base cable to a distribution panel, then cable to shelter connection, or straight from genset to shelter. Willing to buy cable solution if a decent price...

Also appreciate anyone's expertise in the genset operation and hook-ups. I have had it for a year, cleaned it up, ran fluids and filter, and have run it a couple times to keep it functional.

Let me know...

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm bringing a number of pre-paid items on Saturday to the museum for pickup. For those wondering what I have can check the classifieds or even arrange to stop by my yard (I'm 2 miles away form the Off Road Ranch).

Looking for a mounted 14r20 tire!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks