• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20k garwood winch question ?

Jim Hunter

Hello guys,

I found a nice 20k Garwood winch for sale.
BUT it missing the drag brake handle and shaft...
TM shows that you have to tear down the side of the winch to remove two plugs/pins to be able to remove the shaft.This surely is not done here as winch was still mounted...Can I just put the missing parts or no ?

Thank you,
Jim

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Got any pics? I thought Athens Ga, not Greece! Sorry for the mistake. (715zone)

Last edited:

KsM715

Drag brake handle? You mean the in/out clutch? Is it just the handle and pin holding the handle in place? Or is the whole shaft missing? Maybe the handle snapped off the shaft right at the housing. You will have to pull the winch to replace the shaft.

Edit: added a picture. Which handle is it? red or blue?

Attachments

Last edited:

Jim Hunter

Thank you all for your help guys !

No problem if I can help please let me know...

It missing the drag brake handle along with the shaft (blue in the picture)...
I remove one today improperly by tap it with a hammer...It come out but seems a pin was broke...I think that it will not be an **** of a job to replace ??
The first winch I was bought was empty of oil and inside seems corroded...The latter is full of oil...

Jim Hunter

I pulll the trigget and bought one...
The first after close inspection has rusted brake , all around serious dents it the alloy covers ,bent lower brace (threaded) and most importanly was out of oil for time and inside was rusty...I return it to the yard and I take another (no more returns allowed!)This one has just two issues...Missing the handle with shaft (I get one) and was full of oil inside the brake cover (I get another brake as well)...
As you can see these are older units as they have alloy fairlead mounts and shaft exits the cover from the side...
Here is and one photo from the second one...

Rgds,
Jim

Attachments