• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

210 Amp Niehoff vs 200 Amp install questions / compatibility

Outfitters

I purchased a 1986 M998 in August....it had a melted 60 amp generator (and several other gremlins)...so after much reading here it made sense to get the 200 amp dual volt 2920-01-420-9968 / 12447109 and the conversion kit 57K3520...I found both cheap on ebay so I thought I would take the ebay risk and go for it.

The alternator that I received is a 2920-01-598-4541 19207S0CN12518690 which appears to be the 210 amp dual volt Niehoff.

I cannot find any info cross referencing the two NSN or if one supercedes the other...

My questions are:
Will this 210 amp generator install properly and work correctly with the 57K3520 conversion kit?

Is anything about the install going to be different that with the 200 amp generator?

I plan on using a hand winch and pulley to lower this 78 pound beast of a generator into place....any other words of wisdom regarding the conversion / install?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

mechanicjim

the mounting feet should match up and it should fit.
the extra 10 amps only come in when the alternator is at full Revs so you most likely won't notice the difference.
for the 14v side make sure it is connected to battery at midpoint if it is not hooked up it will not output 14v. Basically you cant just hook up regulator straight to a 12v load item(Lights/winch)
for the N1387 alternator you may see a extra plug on the Regulator (N3225) this is for a Electronic Power Manager and the unit will operate without it hooked up.

Have a Great Day

James

Action

If you don't use the 14v connection, I believe it should be grounded. Worth checking for info if you dont plan to use it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the 14v tap is not used , it needs to be grounded to the regulator mounting bolt. If you have a 4L80E setup "OEM" it goes to the rear battery positive to charge the rear battery so the TCM does not create an imbalance in the batteries.
the TCM is 12volts...and is connected to the rear battery POS post.

Outfitters

install going smoothly

Thank you for the replies. I was skeptical about installing this 210 amp generator with the 200 conversion kit, but after these replies (and calling Niehoff and having them confirm it "should" be compatible) I decided to go for it. The install has gone smoothly so far...the instructions and schematics that come with the conversion kit are pretty straight forward...tomorrow night I will winch the generator into place and mount it up....and a few nights later I should be done with the wiring.

I have a stock (until now) 1986 M998 with the 3 speed trans, so I will ground that 14 volt tap to the regulator mounting bolt.

For the last month since purchasing my Humvee I have been charging the batteries once a week to be able to drive it....and even with a bad PCB and no glow plug heating it has started and ran quite well....I guess the 100 degree Alabama weather has its advantages...
I have enjoyed having a golf-cart-like-charge-to-use-Humvee....but this new generator, along with a new to me Nartron Smart Start System and Yellow banded glow plug controller, the grounding harness upgrade, and new glow plugs should bring this beast to better than new.
And since everything is better with pictures...here's my Humvee in front of my store...

Attachments

desmodromic

I purchased a 1986 M998 in August....it had a melted 60 amp generator (and several other gremlins)...so after much reading here it made sense to get the 200 amp dual volt 2920-01-420-9968 / 12447109 and the conversion kit 57K3520...I found both cheap on ebay so I thought I would take the ebay risk and go for it.

The alternator that I received is a 2920-01-598-4541 19207S0CN12518690 which appears to be the 210 amp dual volt Niehoff.

I cannot find any info cross referencing the two NSN or if one supercedes the other...

My questions are:
Will this 210 amp generator install properly and work correctly with the 57K3520 conversion kit?

Is anything about the install going to be different that with the 200 amp generator?

I plan on using a hand winch and pulley to lower this 78 pound beast of a generator into place....any other words of wisdom regarding the conversion / install?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Thanks for the post. I I have a 210 amp alternator in my A1, and with this information I plan on replacing the 60 Amp with a 210 in my A0.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks