• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

22 year old diesel

kipman

I have given to me 500 gallons of number 2 heating oil, drained some off the bottom, no water, it is now black, have not had a chance to burn it, but it does smell like diesel, plan on filtering it, may use it to thin wmo, what are your guys thoughts?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like fuel to GA. Oldest I've ever ran was 10 yrs old and it worked fine. I think Algae would be the biggest issue.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The black is algae. Use a conditioner with biocide and filter it with a finer micron than your trucks filters. A commercial heating wholesale shop will have gallon containers of fuel additive, reasonable. Sid Harveys is one good name brand.

Standard truck fuel additives will work also. Walmart sells 911 in gallons, I think.

Last edited:

kipman

My brother and I went to help my neighbor clean up after tornado damage, said he wanted to have the house on his hunting ground torn down, two outside 275 gallon tanks, still had the lids, looked in both, full, asked if I could have them, he was happy to get rid of them, drained off the bottom, still surprised there was not any visible water.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I burned some 30yr old diesel not too long ago. Had to filter out the black crud 4 times. There isn't any free water because the biologics are hording it all to multiply!

Does Diesel as it sits over long periods of time lose potential BTU's? What im asking is when compared with freshly refined Diesel would older Diesel not provide as much BTU's aka power per gallon?

bratpackdad

The black is algae. Use a conditioner with biocide and filter it with a finer micron than your trucks filters. A commercial heating wholesale shop will have gallon containers of fuel additive, reasonable. Sid Harveys is one good name brand.

Standard truck fuel additives will work also. Walmart sells 911 in gallons, I think.
Tractor Supply has it.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel is older than a bunch of the guys on this site! :p

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ya say, sonny?

btw, I saved that picture and it shows up when you call me on my cell!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks