• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24.5 or 22.5 wheels on M818

jrobinson5093

I am looking to put either 22.5 or 24.5 wheels on my M818, at least on the front for now. I have searched for days and cant seem to get a set answer. What size in 22.5 or 24.5 would match up to the 11x20 NDTs in the back. Im just looking for a tire and wheel combo that is just easier to come by in a pinch and will wear and and maybe ride smoother.

Vintage iron

Military tires are the cheapest right now. Changing the rims and the price of commercial rubber will break the bank. I guess it depends if you have a cheap source for tires.

davo727

Just putting 2 new commercial tires on the front shouldn't be that terribly expensive. At least then he will not have the worry of a front blowout as with these old junk military tires. Theres even a thread here recently where a guy had a g177 11r20 blow out on the front of his five ton.

Military tires are the cheapest right now. Changing the rims and the price of commercial rubber will break the bank. I guess it depends if you have a cheap source for tires.

Rifleman

Ya, that guy with the G177 that blew out was me, let me tell you, YOU DON'T EVER want to have a front tire blow out like i did. I got very lucky,i made it a point to check my tires every time i stopped my truck. On my last stop right before my blew out there were no signs of any problems at all with that tire. Just as an FYI that tire that blew out had over 95% tread and looked in brand new condition.

jrobinson5093

Military tires are cheaper, but most tire shops around dont have any in stock. I can find decent used 22.5s and 24.5 for cheap around here, and I figure most tire place all over are the same in case im on the road and need a tire

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny you should ask today.
Before the temps dropped and the snow started up again my son and I did some tire work today. One of the projects was to remove my long distance front tires from my XM818 and remount the NDT's for some local off road work I need to do. My highway rubber of choice are General Ameristeel radials. I first started running these back in 1985 on the front of my 85 GMC General. I chose these because of the even tire wear across the tread and smooth feel with greater longevity than the Goodyears,(loved the Goodyear G167 drive tires though!). The Goodyear steer fronts had a habit of wearing the shoulders off and cupping, more so than the Generals. The 1100R20's make holding onto the steering wheel much nicer on the days when I drive 400-500 miles.

Attachments

jrobinson5093

Well my problem is that the NDTs dont last long on the front I do a lot of highway driving. They start to cup really quick. I wanted to put some duplex wheels one the front kinda like a lot of dump trucks have.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my problem is that the NDTs dont last long on the front I do a lot of highway driving. They start to cup really quick. I wanted to put some duplex wheels one the front kinda like a lot of dump trucks have.

Been there, done that also.
The Amersteels hold up very well on the front of the 818.

Attachments

Last edited:

pmramsey

I personally would not mix different size tires on the same truck. You run the risk of screwing up your transfer case and transmission. You can get away with a mix of tire sizes on the front vs the rear if you are always in rear wheel drive. Adding front wheel drive to the mix can be a problem.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Think that the 24.5 will come the closest. That is what I have always run on my transport. Get a tape & do the circumference of the NDT. All the Mfg's list their specs. The 24.5, isn't as popular any more, as the 22.5 is. The idea is to save weight with the smaller size - so they are almost universal. There are still a bazillian of the 24.5's around to finish you out though. I suspect the 11.00x24.5 will be close, but there will be slight differences by Mfg.

Jakelc15

Like this?
I just have them on the front for now. 11r24.5. They match new ndcc good. Been running them all year. They help with the weight of the 10' highway plow. Also 12r22.5 might be closer in size, they are becoming very popular and easier to get. uploadfromtaptalk1396195788358.jpg

Jakelc15

They seem to be wearing fine side to side. Buploadfromtaptalk1396230015251.jpgut do get that slight high and low from one lug to the next around the circumference. But they are traction tires meant for the rear that I have up front.

jrobinson5093

I was also wanting to but a drive tire on the front because it does do some off road driving. I am gonna see if I can come with some 24.5 wheels and tires in 11r24.5 and try them for a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks