• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 bolt wheel weigth

yeager1

I am looking at putting HMMWV wheels on my M38 Jeep because I want double beadlock wheels (I would weld in new centers due to the offset/bolt pattern). I know I don't need the strength of 24 bolt wheels and I would rather have 12 bolt rims, but you can find the 24 bolts surplus with nice 37" MTR tires for CHEAP, since I'm planning on running 37" MTR's anyway it just makes sense to get them surplus as a set.

So my question is this: What is the weight of the 24 bolt rims? How much heavier are they then the 12 bolt ones? Is it just a few more bolts or are they a much heavier construction? I just don't want to get the 24 bolt wheels and then find out I added a ton of weigth for no real advantage. THX

Attachments

RDUKW

I can't give you an exact weight but I do know they are a fair amount heavier. My back is still out from two weeks ago trying to help balance my 24 bolt rims for the H1. The other thing is the tire is a fair amount heavier due to the higher load rating as well. If I had to guess I would say the wheel and tire package is a good 50 pounds heavier than the 12 bolts.

Ryan

RDUKW

Maybe it isn't quite 50 lbs. I just weighed a 24 bolt with the offset bolts (the highest load rated of all HMMWV wheels) and it came in at 168lbs. That was with run flat and the Goodyear MTR tire.

Ryan

Warren Lovell

I put a set on my 2000 H1 Wagon, replacing the stock aluminum wheels. You can definitely feel the difference in weight (unsprung). A bit slower going up hills, takes longer to build up speed, coolness factor? Undeniable!

Attachments

EdMontana

I just don't want to get the 24 bolt wheels and then find out I added a ton of weigth for no real advantage. THX
If you are looking for a "real" advantage for your H1, there is none....that will be at least 680 lbs between wheels, tires and run flats.

For a HMMWV is good for the extra weight if you are planning to get some armor in it, but again, everyone's opinions are different and many rather the cool factor over speed and practical capabilities.

Also, many of the bundled wheel/tires from the "surplus" place you are referring can come all mixed, what you see on the top may not be the same for the other 3 units, I have seeing mixed, 12 bolts with 24 bolts even and 24 bolts spaced in one pallet, it is a gamble...as always.

Augi

I have never weighed my 12 bolt wheels with Goodyear MT's, but the quoted weight for that combo is 165 lbs and I believe it after lifting dozens of them.

I believe the rim construction is similar, you just have minor additional weight from the extra 12 studs and nuts. Doing 96 nuts is a real drag... 12 bolts all the way. You don't need the load capacity of 24.

Augi

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The late 12 bolt wheels are within a couple pounds of the 24 bolt wheels.....around 43 lbs. or so.
I have one set left of the even spaced 24 bolt wheels.