• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 Volt battery????????

papercu

"That is not the goal of this exercise. We never would have made it to the moon if JFK listened to all the naysayers asking “why”."
No, the goal as you stated was to save you about 100.00 every three years or so.
Just skip one coffee (@1.00 per) a week for those 3 years and you have enough for one 12v battery and more than half for the second.
No fuss, no mess.
O, you could also just recyle the endless supply of 24v and just have free batteries for your truck. Wayne

mistaken1

could you run big 24v batteries hooked up parallel in our 24v systems, in stead of 2/4 12vs
I do not see why not other than fitting things into the spaces available and the cost of a 24V battery verses a 12V battery assuming you can get the same or higher CCA ratings.

Series two batteries and you double the voltage but the current level is the same as a single battery.

Parallel two batteries and you double the current but the voltage level is the same as a single battery.

joediveguy

"That is not the goal of this exercise. We never would have made it to the moon if JFK listened to all the naysayers asking “why”."
No, the goal as you stated was to save you about 100.00 every three years or so.
Just skip one coffee (@1.00 per) a week for those 3 years and you have enough for one 12v battery and more than half for the second.
No fuss, no mess.
O, you could also just recyle the endless supply of 24v and just have free batteries for your truck. Wayne

Sigh, as stated, the goal is to see if it can be done. One of the results would be to save $$ on the extra battery. But, thanks for your helpful ideas.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really think it will cost more in the long run to use your free batteries, than to just keep it stock.

joediveguy

Doghead, my man!!!! About time you chimed in. I was really hoping you would. I hallway expected you to post with all sorts of diagrams, algorithms and schematics! Yeh, I think this has about played out. Thank you all for your ideas and input. Interesting ideas and good info.
Cheers….:beer:

vtdeucedriver

I just hope those of you considering this don't think that aircraft batteries are the miracle battery for the MV community. I have changed many batteries for various reasons and the life span of them are pretty short compared to some of the truck batteries I have been using.

It's sad to hear that if a endless supply of free batteries that are still functional in both a airplane and enough for a MV are available. The end result is that someone is paying for them because they were told they needed one when they actually did not and that sucks.

wkbrdngsnw

If your looking for a use for the 24V batterys just keep it stock and put them on a cart wired in paralell with a slave connector to plug in on those cold mornings for a little extra amperage.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joediveguy, did you find out what type batteries those are? If they are so plentiful and cheap they may be the NiCad type. These are being phased out in favor of AGM and other types. Lots of places will beg you to take the NiCads (with a signature that you will dispose of them properly) because of the cost associated with recycling. Yeah, you have to pay to have them recycled, in my limited experience.

I have many of those NiCads and they have served me well. They last decades. The individual cells can be interconnected for any desired voltage, and weak cells can be replaced. Mix and match a set based on AH rating (from actual testing) and the batteries work well.

I am also of the opinion the conversion to use a 24v battery is more trouble than it's worth. There was a reason for the original design.

If you have a source for AGM's, like by Concorde, let me know :)

Bob

joediveguy

Joediveguy, did you find out what type batteries those are? If they are so plentiful and cheap they may be the NiCad type. These are being phased out in favor of AGM and other types. Lots of places will beg you to take the NiCads (with a signature that you will dispose of them properly) because of the cost associated with recycling. Yeah, you have to pay to have them recycled, in my limited experience.

I have many of those NiCads and they have served me well. They last decades. The individual cells can be interconnected for any desired voltage, and weak cells can be replaced. Mix and match a set based on AH rating (from actual testing) and the batteries work well.

I am also of the opinion the conversion to use a 24v battery is more trouble than it's worth. There was a reason for the original design.

Bob
No, my friend has not gotten back to me yet. I will update when he does. Thanks, Joe

joediveguy

Bob
Bob, just got the batteries in. They are the concord type, made by Gill. 24V, sealed,88.5 pounds, 600 CCA. Let me know if you have a need for them or if you have any ideas for their use. Joe

Attachments

mistaken1

Bob, just got the batteries in. They are the concord type, made by Gill. 24V, sealed,88.5 pounds, 600 CCA. Let me know if you have a need for them or if you have any ideas for their use. Joe
So those are starting batteries not deep cycle batteries?

If they are deep cycle they would work well in solar applications.

I would think they would be good for the generators.

joediveguy

what would be the price on one of these batteries?
These things are well over a grand new, and the shipping will be a btch! I’m not looking to make a killing on these, just enough to help finance my addiction and help out other SS’ers in need. PM or call me (703) 597-3251 if you are interested. I don’t want to piss off the MOD’s by selling stuff on this forum. I will post in the classifieds when I get a chance. Joe

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Joe,

Thanks for that info. I bought four used batteries of that size, not Gill brand, and none of them were usable, so beware. These are starting batteries, designed for high current for a few seconds, then recharge at high current but from a voltage regulated source, just like a vehicle system treats them. I eventually recycled them (recycle just like lead acid battery, which they are). These also have a limited shelf life. They have to be topped up every few months or they go bad.

What I am saying is, if these are take-out batteries, they were probably taken out for a reason. My guess is they were not maintained and/or just one attempted aircraft start with the battery low caused cell damage.

But, if these are newish batteries, maybe rejected due to long shelf life, even if they have not had recommended maintenance charges, WOW, you have a great source there. The MFG date should be stamped into them. Those larger batteries would be great in a smaller 24 v vehicle. I thought about using them in my U-1300 Diesel but would need higher CCA, and these batteries don't parallel well without discharging each other. Would need relays to parallel them only while starting and running.

I bought another four Concorde aircraft AGM's (smaller batteries) model RG24-15 (about 15 AH) that had 'expired' with no maintenance charge, and they still work great. Even with the low 15 AH rating (meaning not too good for solar storage), they have relatively high CCA.

I have used these smaller AGM batteries for about 3 years now for starting 404 Unimogs (rather low current requirements) but mainly for 24 v radio use. I have run my Lube and Service trailer off them, and they would be adequate for most any 24 v generator. I have just bought a 40 ft light tower trailer with 5 kW generator and will put a Concorde battery in it.

I charge these with a voltage regulated power supply with current limiting. Again, charging is critical so don't try the normal cheap charger with simple transformer and diode innards. In my experience, don't float charge them. Get a manual and heed it.

Thanks for the offer but transport cost is prohibitive. If I ever get up the 81 slab to your vicinity (I am near Knoxville) I'll be looking you up!

[edit: what type connector? If the aircraft type, some aircraft salvage yards have them. New ones are expensive! Are they like this? http://www.concordebattery.com/accessories.php?id=51 ]

Bob

WB4ETT

Last edited:

joediveguy

Hey Bob, thanks for the info. I will have to study up on these and watch out when I charge them. Those are the connectors and I about fell out of my chair when my buddy told me how much they cost! He said he may be able to get his hands on a few when his mechanic does a swap. I just checked the voltage and they are both at about 11 Volts.

If you ever make it up this way, for sure look me up!
:beer: