• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt harbor freight jump starter

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone considered the noco GB500??
It's really hard to justify that kind of money on a jump start pack, when you can buy a pair of Hawker/Odyssey 6TAGMs, and still have enough left over to buy 2 of the GB150s that will have an equal amount of peak cranking amps when used in series (on one each battery) that the GB500 does

They don't tell you if that 6250 peak amps is at 12V or 24V. If at 24V, then the $1800 asking price is still more than 4 of the GB150s at $300 each (so $1200) to get 6000 peak cranking amps of 24V power (rated for 3000 peak amps at 12V each)

EDIT: If you go back and look on the first page, the GB150s I have pictured are rated at 4000 peak cranking amps, where they rate the current ones at 3000 peak amps, but then offer a GBX155 at 4250 peak amps. Not sure if they are just playing with the numbers to make two different versions of an otherwise identical box, the only difference I see is the clamps on the cables are different, making the GBX155 slightly narrower overall, but the main units are identical in size and appearance.

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO... It would make more sense to keep on top of your rigs batteries... than spending that kind of money to tote around another piece of gear.

Don't forget the batteries hide under the seat, lol. So take a peek from time to time. Get that Amp meter out and check for parasitic drain, find it and fix it.

Clean all connections and battery tops, corrosion prevention grease where applicable, proper torqued hardware, hold downs, wires with grommets... all that good stuff.

Once one kills a lead acid battery you're on borrowed time...or for sure one of the "9" life's is gone. LOL Winter is around the corner... so fix it now or in a snow drift.

12 Volt taps and light switches, CAMO
Not about battery maintenance, more about battery draw and ending up with low voltage.. check my batteries every day, but needless to say as I RunAbout I drain them and might need a jump.. so we need some solutions…. be as it may be I don’t have a constant battery voltage lead stuck in me arse …. So if I haven’t checked my arse in a bit, I might be low…. need a bump 😂

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not about battery maintenance, more about battery draw and ending up with low voltage.. check my batteries every day, but needless to say as I RunAbout I drain them and might need a jump.. so we need some solutions…. be as it may be I don’t have a constant battery voltage lead stuck in me arse …. So if I haven’t checked my arse in a bit, I might be low…. need a bump 😂

????? Butt need a bump ?? Or did you mean a jump? My truck has a working alternator so no humping, bumping or jumping. Got one of these too.

sp-24psc.jpg

Let the sun shine and good to go, CAMO

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a 24v charger off Amazon. Paid $400. Amazon
My rig will have to be jump started to get it off the truck when it arrives so I got this as I am not familiar with the ins and outs of 24v. Already have one 12v noco for my other vehicles. Would have preferred to save the money and buy one more noco. With 2 batteries, what terminals do I connect the cables to? Any insight is greatly appreciated and apologize, don't want to hijack a thread.

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
????? Butt need a bump ?? Or did you mean a jump? My truck has a working alternator so no humping, bumping or jumping. Got one of these too.

View attachment 880056

Let the sun shine and good to go, CAMO
Govt planet has a lot of about 200 of these they are auctioning off. I will absolutely install this when I find out where to buy just 1. Where can this be sourced?

ToddJK

QUOTE="BruDogGA, post: 2470951, member: 113645"]

I just bought a 24v charger off Amazon. Paid $400. Amazon

My rig will have to be jump started to get it off the truck when it arrives so I got this as I am not familiar with the ins and outs of 24v. Already have one 12v noco for my other vehicles. Would have preferred to save the money and buy one more noco. With 2 batteries, what terminals do I connect the cables to? Any insight is greatly appreciated and apologize, don't want to hijack a thread.

[/QUOTE]

Main (-) on one battery and the main (+) on the other battery. All 24V accessories hook up that way. Anything that's 12V can be hooked up to one battery such a solar charger,trickle charger,other accessories, but it's generally not the recommended thing to do. I would however in the future invest in a battery equalizer. This helps keep both batteries at equal charge, especially helps in maintaining longer life for the batteries.
Anytime you experience dead batteries and need a jump from a another civic vehicle, I don't recommend a small car or SUV, you want a bigger truck since the alternator is larger. Charge one battery at a time for 10-15 mins each and your truck should fire over, charge 30 mins to one hour each if using a small battery charger or from a smaller vehicle. I've done that a few times on my truck.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Govt planet has a lot of about 200 of these they are auctioning off. I will absolutely install this when I find out where to buy just 1. Where can this be sourced?
200. More like 600 slold in the last month and another 150 plus on line.

Don't plan on them being cheap. Average unit price +/- 50 bucks on 150 units. 6-7 K bids. Give it a week or two and 150 clams on the auction sites. Now that will chap one buns, LOL

In it to win it and make a killing, CAMO

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two versions of the Solargizers. The big lot of them on the auction (if I remember right) were the small ones - these DO NOT charge the batteries, they desulfate them only. The ones with the bigger solar panels will trickle-charge the batteries. So whether you bid on them to win the lot, or buy one from whoever does win them, do some research first. I have the small one on my M1009 right now.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
There are two versions of the Solargizers. The big lot of them on the auction (if I remember right) were the small ones - these DO NOT charge the batteries, they desulfate them only. The ones with the bigger solar panels will trickle-charge the batteries. So whether you bid on them to win the lot, or buy one from whoever does win them, do some research first. I have the small one on my M1009 right now.
The last lots sold in August and current are the larger panels. (600 or so units sold to date)

That is a boat load of 24 volt panels. Will be fun to see how this pans out, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks