• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 Volt Red Starter Relay Wire Dead

dtdoyle01

Last night I disconnected the batteries in preparation to do the Doghead starter relay mod today when I got home from work. However, my son reconnected them to change light bulbs and didn’t disconnect the batteries when he was done. Of course I didn’t check them again. I cut all the wires to the plug and stripped the insulations off the wires. The red wire touched the extinguisher bracket, fusing itself to it, and got very hot. I disconnected the batteries and finished the mod. When I went to try and start it, I only got the snap from the relay. What should I check down the line from the hot wire that could have possibly grounded out? Is there anything under the dash? The fuses under the dash are fine. The batteries are also fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Durango_USMC

Theres more than one, and I dont know where all of them are. But I've noticed a few on the inside of the engine bay along the firewall. Basically its a small section of wire thats usually a different color than the wire its in the middle of. For example there is one on the passenger side firewall coming off the bus bar. The fusible link here is blue while the wire itself is red. I basically just try to trace and follow the wiring from the alternators to wherever it may go and bump into a few along the way. Sorry I cant be much more help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fusible link(for the starter relay) is easily identified in the -20TM.

It is attached at the 24 volt buss-bar.